New firmware coming for the Canon EOS R5 in the next month or so

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I have been told that we can expect a firmware update for the Canon EOS R5 sometime around the ship date for the Canon EOS R3. The EOS R3 is scheduled to begin shipping on November 26, 2021.
The firmware update will likely include added support for the RF 5.2mm f/2.8L Dual Lens Fisheye that is scheduled to begin shipping in December of this year.
The usual bug fixes are also likely. Other than that, I have no information about any additional features that may be added to firmware v1.5.0 for the EOS R5.

Continue reading...

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Please, please harness the shutter rate in full electronic shutter!!

Maybe canon feels that feature only belongs on the R3 or higher. :(
Canon wants you to spend more money on a new camera.

There is close to zero chance that they’ll add any of the worthwhile features that you, I or anyone else would like them to.

But if you’re *really* lucky, they might fix a typo in the Afrikaans menu.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Canon wants you to spend more money on a new camera.
R5 is "a new camera".

Given that it still sells well, it's unlikely to have a replacement any time soon.

There is close to zero chance that they’ll add any of the worthwhile features that you, I or anyone else would like them to.
Why did they do that in the previous R5 firmware updates then?

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
R5 is "a new camera".

Given that it still sells well, it's unlikely to have a replacement any time soon.

Why did they do that in the previous R5 firmware updates then?
I wasn’t suggesting that Canon were about to produce a R5 Mkii - I was suggesting that if someone wants a camera with more features or a higher specification, they’d want them to buy a model further up in the range, or to wait until the next iteration is released, rather than add those features to an existing model.

Canon occasionally includes new features in firmware updates, but they seem to me to have a “we got it right first time” philosophy, and the vast majority of updates are just minor tweaks and bug fixes.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I wasn’t suggesting that Canon were about to produce a R5 Mkii - I was suggesting that if someone wants a camera with more features or a higher specification, they’d want them to buy a model further up in the range,
Z9 (of course, if Nikon is able to deliver)? Or A1?

There is no other model "further up in the range" for the R5.

Canon occasionally includes new features in firmware updates, but they seem to me to have a “we got it right first time” philosophy, and the vast majority of updates are just minor tweaks and bug fixes.
It doesn't look like they have this "philosophy" for the R5 in particular. Which may be a part of its continuing success on the current shrinking market.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
There is no other model "further up in the range" for the R5.

You conveniently edited my post to suit your argument. I repeat it below, with the text that you omitted:

"I wasn’t suggesting that Canon were about to produce a R5 Mkii - I was suggesting that if someone wants a camera with more features or a higher specification, they’d want them to buy a model further up in the range, or to wait until the next iteration is released, rather than add those features to an existing model".

I think Canon would disagree with your assessment that there is no model further up the range. The R3 although it has a lower MP count (but enough for most users) has a much better specification overall, and is certainly further up the range.

The R5 meanwhile has many features “missing” that Canon could very easily address with a firmware update, but have so far chosen not do do so. These include among others:

Ability to set lower burst rates than 20fps in electronic shutter.
Ability to bracket exposures with electronic shutter.
Ability to assign a fake shutter sound with electronic shutter.
Reduction in startup lag time.

I’ll lay money that Canon never addresses these with a firmware update…

Come on Canon, prove me wrong and I’ll buy you all a beer.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

allanP

Contax/Canon and medium format
Jan 3, 2014
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
You conveniently edited my post to suit your argument. I repeat it below, with the text that you omitted:

"I wasn’t suggesting that Canon were about to produce a R5 Mkii - I was suggesting that if someone wants a camera with more features or a higher specification, they’d want them to buy a model further up in the range, or to wait until the next iteration is released, rather than add those features to an existing model".
I absolutely see no reason for Canon to want someone to wait until the release of the R5 MkII instead of buying the R5. Especially given that the competition is not absent, and that people that are not willing to buy the R5 because of its (perceived or real) lack of features are also not likely to be willing to buy RF lenses for their current cameras.

I think Canon would disagree with your assessment that there is no model further up the range. The R3 although it has a lower MP count (but enough for most users) has a much better specification overall, and is certainly further up the range.
People to whom the R3 would be "further up the range" would be much more likely to buy the R6 than the R5.

The R5 meanwhile has many features “missing” that Canon could very easily address with a firmware update, but have so far chosen not do do so. These include among others:

Ability to set lower burst rates than 20fps in electronic shutter.
Ability to bracket exposures with electronic shutter.
Ability to assign a fake shutter sound with electronic shutter.
Reduction in startup lag time.

I’ll lay money that Canon never addresses these with a firmware update…

Come on Canon, prove me wrong and I’ll buy you all a beer.
The resources of Canon's software engineers are not unlimited, and "Reduction in startup lag time" could be especially hard (if possible at all) to implement.

Upvote 0
To add to the wish list....
Ability to recognize more eye AF subjects like bugs/insects and ungulates. Cars/motorbike tracking from R3 would be nice
Ability to select and customize which items appear in the Q Menu.
Ability to shoot at fewer than 20 FPS in silent shutter.
Pixel shift functionality for ultra-high MP stills images. Multi-shot high res mode.
Ability via a menu option to select IS, IBIS, IS+IBIS when using both RF and EF lenses with IS.
Focus stack with flash.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0