Patent: Canon RF 135mm f/1.4L DS USM optical formula

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
What would you use a lens like this for? I can't think of many times I've been out with my 70-200 and thought "let me zoom this in halfway..."
Oh that was rich.....please do share more of your plan for ridding the world of prime lenses and their woke apertures. And as for your hypocrisy while turning your 70-200 into a 200 and 70 pair of primes....

• Angry
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
What would you use a lens like this for? I can't think of many times I've been out with my 70-200 and thought "let me zoom this in halfway..."
Mainly portraits, but also (with the EF version), for indoor sports and events. I actually found little use for a 70-200 when I paired the 135 with a 24-70.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I appreciate that Canon is "swinging for the fences" with a 135mm f/1.4L....but, being realistic, that lens is going to be way too large and expensive to be something I'm going to consider. It's already over 7-inches long, according to the patent, and the math for the front element is 96mm...I think I'll pass. I really want a new f/1.8 or f/2 variation with fast autofocus for sports like what made the original 135L such a legend. It wasn't the aperture and focal length - it was the size/weight/price/performance/AF Speed.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
If they do make the 50mm f/1.4 DS I hope they make the front element big enough to eliminate the oval vignetting of out of focus point sources. It's silly to lose all that light to get nice soft gaussian spots but still get a harder cutoff away from the center of the frame. On non-DS lenses you can stop down to reduce the cats eye bokeh, but on DS lenses they really need to address it wide open.

It's still pretty limiting that the the DS part of the lens is effectively fixed aperture. It would be nice if they achieved the apodization with something like a filter wheel, so you could stop down a bit and preserve the full effect.

Upvote 0
It will be massive and it will be uber expensive, but it will also make images that can't be duplicated. I just hope that it isn't a DS only lens. The look is fine, but the light-loss is too much to bear. Buying a 1.4 to shoot with light levels of a 2.2+ just doesn't seem to make sense. However, I do think it will be an unmatched portrait lens when the scene allows for a 135mm.

Curiously, I wonder if this optical formula would lend itself well to a DO design. The marginal loss of sharpness wouldn't be slammed by the portrait bunch, but the lighter overall construction would undoubtedly be loved.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
I'm not sure a 135mm f/1.4 makes sense.

With Mitakon making an EF 135mm f/1.4, an RF 135mm f/1.4 isn't going to be a halo lens. Its also going to be expensive, big and heavy, making it less attractive, especially to carry around. In a studio, I doubt it would make a big difference. As noted above, with a 2x TC it would compete with the 200mm f/2 and 300mm f/2.8

Seems to me an f/1.8 or f/2 would make more sense.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2021
The Sigma 135 1.8 is nearly 400g heavier than the Canon f/2....just imagine the heft of a 1.4. The size of the Canon (not to mention the 200 f/2.8L) was part of it's appeal. I'll just continue to adapt.
I have a feeling Canon will come out with a 135mm f1.4 to try and 1 up the 135mm f1.8 GM which is not only one of the sharpest lenses on any system but also has AF performance that makes it usable for sport and wildlife too. Be interesting to see what approach Canon takes.

As a side note many of us suspect Canon’s RF 35mm L prime will be an f1.2, if this happens I wonder what the price will be as Sigma have the 35mm f1.2 Art DG DN available for E and L mount which while is largely irrelevant to RF shooters but if its significantly more expensive I wonder how RF shooters would feel about that?

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
What a shame. Canon has been scared of making a good 50 1.4 non-L for about 30 years or so.. whatever happened to the 50 mm IS EF? Talk about trying to protect the L lenses from a design thats 'good enough'. Bet that would make a nice story.

I'm glad my 35 f2is will serve me for many years to come, but the 50 mm situation for canon has been nonsense for a long time.

Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
I would love a 135mm f/1.8 or f/2 for 1200-1500 $/€ but I´m afraid it will turn out to be a f/1.4 for 3500-4500 $/€ and therefore totally out of reach... and so big and heavy that I wouldn´t want it even if I could afford it.
And any idea whether IS is being considered? That was the only shortcoming of the EF 135mm f:2, adding IS would be doable within a $1,000 price tag.Built-in extending lens hood would be another, last seen on lenses like the FD 300 f:2.8L and other of that generation.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0