Canon exec confirms that the EOS-1D X Mark III is Canon’s last DSLR

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
You can't shoot without a battery, period! And so must have one. Again different spectrum. Autofocus that can detect the eye etc is 80% of my photography. Skycrapers? Zero.
My SLR in 1970 needed a battery to shoot or at least for the light meter to work. It didn’t do anything automatically.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
You never fail to impress.
But fighting for DSLR's is a losing battle. You will learn, be patient. Canon will soon provide mirrorless replacements for these DSLR's you talk about and the DSLR's will phase out faster than you think. Time will show.
All this way before the planet dies.
My DSLR should work just fine for the rest of my life, and I have enough lenses to cover any situation I can think of. If I had unlimited funds, I might buy a TS-E lens or two, but it just makes more sense to rent one when I take a rare notion. For what I do, I don’t see much point in upgrading short of a jump to Fujifilm 100S. By not traveling for almost two years, I have enough money lying unused in each of a couple checking accounts to buy it and a couple of lenses. But I really doubt I would become enough more interested in landscape photography for owning it to make sense. Also, I don’t know which two lenses I’d want. It would take months to get the camera probably, so it doesn’t work as an impulse purchase. Maybe things will change in the spring, both in availability and in my landscape interests. It looks like I will just keep accumulating extra funds rather than going places and doing things.

Upvote 0

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
The really amazing thing about DSLR vs Mirrorless, is that only forum geniuses consider DSLRs and Mirrorless cameras to be two totally different types of cameras (in my opinion, of course). I must be stupid, because for many years now I have considered them both to be just a slightly different type of camera. I have owned both, I think my first digital camera had an EVF in 2003 or so, before I bought my Canon Rebel ( the original digital rebel). I can't really remember if that first digital camera had an EVF or OVF because, unlike most forum geniuses, it didn't really matter and I hardly took notice. Like most people, (I assume) I look through the viewfinder to compose my photo and then I press the shutter. I rarely think much about the viewfinder, because I am thinking about the composition, silly me. Now, I know that over time, there have been some differences in the two types of cameras. In challenging lighting conditions, I do like that with the turn of a dial, I can use - and see - exposure compensation on an EVF. But in most cases, I don't need it, so I would have to say that the difference in having an EVF or OVF is just a slight one (for me, at least). There are, of course, other differences, such as battery life, but I would have to say that all the differences fall into the "slight difference" category as well.

For those non-geniuses who will be walking into - or looking online at - a Best Buy, or Target, or Costco, or Amazon to see what Canon has available as an affordable camera option, my guess is that they will care not one iota - and will not notice any difference - if the camera they pick up and look through - or buy online and look through when it arrives - is a mirrorless or a DSLR. They will look through the viewfinder to compose their shot and they will push the shutter button. They will notice the size difference between an M50 and a DSLR rebel, and may make their choice based on a size preference, but not an the viewfinder in all likelihood. So, if Canon makes a mirrorless camera in the Rebel form factor for the same price as the latest DSLR Rebels, they no doubt will, because they (I'm sure) know that it will make no difference to that buying segment if the camera has an OVF or an EVF. And my guess is that the majority of those buying from Adorama and B&H - no matter which series - don't really care that much if it is an OVF or an EVF either. I think you need to be a forum genius to understand just how different this makes the camera. For the rest of us, we just look through the viewfinder (whichever type it is) compose the photo, and press the shutter.

I agree with this. To me the major distinction is between cellphones or point-n-shoot cameras, and MILC or DSLR.
With a point-n-shoot, you look at the back screen to compose, and then flip a little lever to zoom. Or, with a cell phone, you use a gesture on the screen. I find it hard to compose this way, especially in bright light. I usually have no idea of camera settings unless I check them beforehand.
With DSLR or MILC, on the other hand, you put your eye to a viewfinder to compose. The key camera settings that affect exposure are shown at the bottom of the viewfinder. You twist the zoom ring while never taking your eye off the viewfinder. You can change aperture, iso, exposure comp, etc, all without taking your eye off the viewfinder. This is way different than point-n-shoot, and there lies the major distinction. All of this holds true whether it's MILC or DSLR. The shooting method is the same.
I've always found the M line somewhat confusing: some cameras have viewfinders while others do not. To me, this places some models in the point-n-shoot camp and others with "real" cameras.
I recently started my move to mirrorless. I'm pretty happy with it so far: the viewfinder is big, and it's bright in dark conditions, AF is much better in some situations, and the RF line offers some unique lenses, and I can still use my old EF gear. The battery issue can be somewhat irksome (particularly with the RP which I have) but swapping batteries is not a big deal. The other issue is that EVFs can be somewhat contrasty with flat colours. I'm sure that as time goes on, EVFs will get better, batteries will get better, and cameras will use less power.
In the meanwhile, the photos my cameras produces are real, whether from MILC or DSLR. Photons are captured, and a scene is frozen in time. Any suggestion that MILC isn't a real camera is just silly IMO.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I'd like rangefinder window positioning of the viewfinder so my nose isn't crushed against the camera! I'd give up viewfinder/lens alignment for that!
Raises an interesting question that I'm not qualified to answer, but since mirrorless cameras are transmitting an electronic image, why does the viewfinder need to be centered?

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
The really amazing thing about DSLR vs Mirrorless, is that only forum geniuses consider DSLRs and Mirrorless cameras to be two totally different types of cameras (in my opinion, of course)...
Absolutely correct. Hence my previous comment about this discussion conflating two different products: The M series and the Rebel series. I can understand customers preferring the size of the M series if their main interest is in having a compact camera. But as far as the Rebel series, size really isn't a factor between the R bodies and Rebels.

I think the deciding factor is simply price. Right now, most Rebels are significantly cheaper than even an RP with lens. That's probably due to manufacturing efficiencies and volume. I don't think most buyers see any difference between a Canon mirrorless and a Canon DSLR. They look and perform the same to most people. If the prices eventually match then I would imagine Canon might phase out DSLRs if they want to. Whether or not they want to is a business decision that only they know the answer to.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Raises an interesting question that I'm not qualified to answer, but since mirrorless cameras are transmitting an electronic image, why does the viewfinder need to be centered?
There’s no technical reason it must be. However, there are both left- and right-eye shooters, and a centered VF is easy to use either way.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The really amazing thing about DSLR vs Mirrorless, is that only forum geniuses consider DSLRs and Mirrorless cameras to be two totally different types of cameras (in my opinion, of course). I must be stupid, because for many years now I have considered them both to be just a slightly different type of camera. I have owned both, I think my first digital camera had an EVF in 2003 or so, before I bought my Canon Rebel ( the original digital rebel). I can't really remember if that first digital camera had an EVF or OVF because, unlike most forum geniuses, it didn't really matter and I hardly took notice. Like most people, (I assume) I look through the viewfinder to compose my photo and then I press the shutter. I rarely think much about the viewfinder, because I am thinking about the composition, silly me. Now, I know that over time, there have been some differences in the two types of cameras. In challenging lighting conditions, I do like that with the turn of a dial, I can use - and see - exposure compensation on an EVF. But in most cases, I don't need it, so I would have to say that the difference in having an EVF or OVF is just a slight one (for me, at least). There are, of course, other differences, such as battery life, but I would have to say that all the differences fall into the "slight difference" category as well.

For those non-geniuses who will be walking into - or looking online at - a Best Buy, or Target, or Costco, or Amazon to see what Canon has available as an affordable camera option, my guess is that they will care not one iota - and will not notice any difference - if the camera they pick up and look through - or buy online and look through when it arrives - is a mirrorless or a DSLR. They will look through the viewfinder to compose their shot and they will push the shutter button. They will notice the size difference between an M50 and a DSLR rebel, and may make their choice based on a size preference, but not an the viewfinder in all likelihood. So, if Canon makes a mirrorless camera in the Rebel form factor for the same price as the latest DSLR Rebels, they no doubt will, because they (I'm sure) know that it will make no difference to that buying segment if the camera has an OVF or an EVF. And my guess is that the majority of those buying from Adorama and B&H - no matter which series - don't really care that much if it is an OVF or an EVF either. I think you need to be a forum genius to understand just how different this makes the camera. For the rest of us, we just look through the viewfinder (whichever type it is) compose the photo, and press the shutter.
There are "lumpers" and "splitters". They spend their time fighting each other in all types of discussion and analysis, with the lumpers lumping things together as all being part of the same, and the splitters drawing fine distinctions - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumpers_and_splitters Both have their place in progress and understanding.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I could understand if he meant that the IDX III is the last of the 1 series DSLRs. This would seem reasonable to me.
I'd be surprised if its the last new Canon DSLR.
He could have meant that but I'd wonder why.
Canon can make minor tweaks and keep pumping out new model DSLR's and sell them quite easily.
I too would be in the camp that DSLR and Mirrorless cameras are really quite similar technology and don't find mirrorless a major improvement.
I'm surprised how they've made DSLR's obsolete, in most cases the mirror was not a huge disadvantage and was quite robust in construction
It's hard to find image quality improvement over a 5D Mark IV on any new camera.
I own a 1DX Mark III and it is a great camera. For me its only let down by having a 20MP sensor.
For me it should have been a 30 MP sensor, it would have been well able to handle it.
It would have been a perfect DSLR with a 30MP sensor

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I'd like rangefinder window positioning of the viewfinder so my nose isn't crushed against the camera! I'd give up viewfinder/lens alignment for that!
With mirrorless they could put the viewfinder on a meter-long arm or at the end of a cable in the next dang room, if they wanted to. And it would align just fine.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
My DSLR should work just fine for the rest of my life, and I have enough lenses to cover any situation I can think of. If I had unlimited funds, I might buy a TS-E lens or two, but it just makes more sense to rent one when I take a rare notion. For what I do, I don’t see much point in upgrading short of a jump to Fujifilm 100S. By not traveling for almost two years, I have enough money lying unused in each of a couple checking accounts to buy it and a couple of lenses. But I really doubt I would become enough more interested in landscape photography for owning it to make sense. Also, I don’t know which two lenses I’d want. It would take months to get the camera probably, so it doesn’t work as an impulse purchase. Maybe things will change in the spring, both in availability and in my landscape interests. It looks like I will just keep accumulating extra funds rather than going places and doing things.
Sure. Perfect. Agree.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012

Except, the word 'mirrorless' has picked up and many now feel that they are 'better' and if they are buying one, they will ask for a mirrorless. Even if some do not, as soon as they buy, someone in the family or friend circle will ask "Is this mirrorless?" All this should be evident soon I believe.

Upvote 0
The 90D has the transmissive LCD in the viewfinder which stays on even if the camera is switched off. I wish they could update the firmware to give us an option to turn this off when the camera is switched off, in my opinion this just causes unnecessary battery drain, is there a technical reason why they choose to leave the transmissive LCD switched on when the camera is switched off?

The 700D does not have the transmissive LCD so the viewfinder looks the same even with the battery removed.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
RIP DSLR’s it’s been fun shooting with them over the years, but time and tech moves on.

I can’t imagine many people being advised to buy new 6D II or 850D these days unless desperate storekeepers are needing to shift old stock, somehow selling them off to newbies.

I still think there is a market for a tiny compact interchangeable lens body I.E the M Series, M6 II M200, M50 II plus future upgrades. The RF mount is surely too big to accommodate that type of compact system! Or maybe not!
How would you even know if there is a market for m-line? You have the numbers like canon? They’d keep it if there was a ROI. Clearly there isn’t.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
How would you even know if there is a market for m-line? You have the numbers like canon? They’d keep it if there was a ROI. Clearly there isn’t.
Well, it’s simple enough to look at BCN and see that in Japan, the Kiss M2 (M50 II) and Kiss M (M50) have consistently occupied 2-3 of the top 10 slots for best-selling ILCs for the past couple of years. Another 2-3 slots have been consistently held by Kiss X10 (SL3/250D) kits. The multiple slots are different colors and 1- and 2-lens kit versions. Basically, that means that domestically for Canon both the entry-level MILC and DSLR are consistent best sellers.

Pretty obvious there’s ample ROI for Canon from the M line. Unless you have the numbers that show otherwise? If so, by all means share them.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Well, it’s simple enough to look at BCN and see that in Japan, the Kiss M2 (M50 II) and Kiss M (M50) have consistently occupied 2-3 of the top 10 slots for best-selling ILCs for the past couple of years. Another 2-3 slots have been consistently held by Kiss X10 (SL3/250D) kits. The multiple slots are different colors and 1- and 2-lens kit versions. Basically, that means that domestically for Canon both the entry-level MILC and DSLR are consistent best sellers.

Pretty obvious there’s ample ROI for Canon from the M line. Unless you have the numbers that show otherwise? If so, by all means share them.

Nope, the M line is dead because some people here hate it. No evidence needed. QED.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
So where is the R1?
I’m surprised! I thought for sure that given your prominence and the manifest importance of your opinions and business needs to Canon, certainly they’d have sent you a few different R1 prototypes to evaluate and select the one they should put into production.

I guess I was completely wrong, and you’re of no importance to Canon whatsoever. How sad.

• Haha
Upvote 0