Bad news: The Canon RF 35mm f/1.2L USM has been pushed into 2023

The thought that a fast 35mm prime is a vanity lens is interesting to me. I would have guessed that it would be quite popular, but the fact that Canon keeps pushing it back suggests that either it would be so popular that they don't have the capacity to produce sufficient numbers or that it is a halo product. Either way, the f/1.8 is good enough for me. I'd really like to see a similar 20 or 21mm prime produced.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Any rumours of either EF-S 60mm replacement for RF or 180mm Macro?
I'd say the chances of either are close to zero, sadly. Maybe in 3-4 years time, but I think these types of lenses sell in pretty low numbers, so they'll be right at the bottom of Canon's priority list. If you can live with manual focus and no electronic linkage, the Laowa macros have much to commend them. Other than that, I think you're stuck with the EF 60mm and 180mm until Tamron or Sigma get around to producing AF versions. Unfortunately it's not even possible to use an extender with the RF 100mm macro.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...but the fact that Canon keeps pushing it back...

Beware! It's not a fact. It's a rumor!
We do not know if Canon ever planed to release a 35 1.2 this year or when ever.
True. But, regardless of whether or not Canon ever planned to release such a lens this year or not, it is unlikely that it will be released this year. So, the end result is the same -- no lens in 2022. It is reasonable to assume that Canon does not see any urgency in releasing the lens. Did they change their plans? Or, did they never intend to release it in 2022? Does it matter? I don't think so. The bottom line is Canon has other priorities.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Not a surprise. These are vanity lenses. I doubt they contribute much to the bottom line. It seems like Canon is concentrating on filling out their range of bodies, while adding mid-range enthusiast and consumer lenses to the lineup. Makes sense. Canon is a business and their decisions are driven by what will increase profits, not what forum geeks want.

Personally, I've already got every lens I'm interested in, except for lenses that Canon will never make or lenses I will never be able to afford.
Haha, you're too easily satisfied my friend!

I've "only" got 2 bodies (5DMkiv and R5) and 6 lenses, but I lust after almost every lens or body that Canon produces!

Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
What's the CR rating for this rumor?
I admit I'd be disappointed since I have been wanting a fast L 35mm (and a fast L 135mm) for quite some time now.
I am not going to spend money on the RF 1.8 or on the EF 1.4 L II... so Canon will have to wait for more of my money. I may get a new Broncolor instead. Oh well. I do understand that Canon will survive without me.
So I will be hoping that this rumor will end up being wrong.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
If this list is correct then we can expect the RF 24 mm to be f/1.2 and the RF 135 mm to be f/1.4
I can't see Canon developing two completely different sets of lenses for cinema and photo when they can make two versions of the same lens.

Upvote 0

EOS

EOS
Apr 29, 2022
If this list is correct then we can expect the RF 24 mm to be f/1.2 and the RF 135 mm to be f/1.4
I can't see Canon developing two completely different sets of lenses for cinema and photo when they can make two versions of the same lens.
The CR Guy says in that thread the RF Cinema lenses will be a different beast:
It's a different design team and cinema lenses are designed very differently. There are prime lenses coming that will interest you.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
The CR Guy says in that thread the RF Cinema lenses will be a different beast:
Thanks.
I am going to have to disagree with that.
Canon specifically stated that they would prioritize EF and PL mounts for cinema lenses because that is where the market is.
I do not expect any RF cinema lenses that do not have photo versions.
Canon may as well make cine versions of their L lenses.
There is not much reason not to.
Making brand new lenses is a different story.
Plus, every lens in that list either corresponds to an existing RF L Prime or would make an excellent one.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Thanks.
I am going to have to disagree with that.
Canon specifically stated that they would prioritize EF and PL mounts for cinema lenses because that is where the market is.
I do not expect any RF cinema lenses that do not have photo versions.
Canon may as well make cine versions of their L lenses.
There is not much reason not to.
Making brand new lenses is a different story.
Plus, every lens in that list either corresponds to an existing RF L Prime or would make an excellent one.
Cine lenses and photo lenses are very different. Whatever you read before, I urge you to learn more about the subject.

Here's a graphic from Adorama in an article last updated on 4/14/22:

1660595352193.png

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
Given that the excellent 35mm 1.4 ii has excellent sharpness and little to no color fringing through the use of BR optics, I think it would be a tough act to follow.

The bokeh is not going to be as big of a difference between a 1.2 and 1.4 on a 35mm as it is on a 85mm and BR is already used in the current version (no justification for charges of 'new' tech used over the previous version like the 85mm).

The marginal benefit of 1/3 of a stop and a native mount while being either roughly the same size or bigger than the current EF version would make it hard to justify a big price hike.

My guess is Canon would want to price it at $3k but finding market may have a hard time swallowing the price given the native brand alternative.

Canon simply made the EF version too good for the RF to differentiate from.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Given that the excellent 35mm 1.4 ii has excellent sharpness and little to no color fringing through the use of BR optics, I think it would be a tough act to follow.

The bokeh is not going to be as big of a difference between a 1.2 and 1.4 on a 35mm as it is on a 85mm and BR is already used in the current version (no justification for charges of 'new' tech used over the previous version like the 85mm).

The marginal benefit of 1/3 of a stop and a native mount while being either roughly the same size or bigger than the current EF version would make it hard to justify a big price hike.

My guess is Canon would want to price it at $3k but finding market may have a hard time swallowing the price given the native brand alternative.

Canon simply made the EF version too good for the RF to differentiate from.

I agree with this entire argument except for the last sentence. Many people really are interested only in native glass, and the new one being RF will be a key reason those folks upgrade.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0