Here is the Canon EOS R6 Mark II & Canon RF 135mm f/1.8L IS USM

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I really wish they used the R6/R5 body for the R7. I have an R7 as a C-cam and when I need to use it, I have to relearn where all the buttons and dials are. I’m really perplexed: wouldn’t it have just been cheaper to take what they already had and put in a smaller sensor?
I would have bought an R7 as companion to my R5 if they both had the same body, and yes it would surely have been cheaper than designing a whole new body. A great shame IMO that they farted about by shrinking the body, removing a dial and putting the rear thumbwheel around the AF joystick on the R7. A fun experiment for Canon, but I think it's lost them a lot of sales. Also I prefer the mode dial on the R6 to the one on my R5. Dunno what goes through their heads - R6 has the best body, R5 mode dial is just a gimmick, and while R7 thumbwheel may work well for some people, it causes muscle-memory issues for people switching bodies or using multiple different bodies.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Rumours not rumors

R6mkII, 2x90D, 630 (film), Sigma 70-200 f2.8 Sport
CR Pro
May 12, 2020
Australia mate (-:
I wonder how many people have noticed the significance of the release date being 2nd November, 2022 or numerically 2/11/22 for the second version of the R6, the Mark 2. It is most commonly written as Mk 2 or Mk II... see it yet? Mk 2 or Mk II with release date 2-11. Throw in the year and we get lots of 2's, ergo 2/11/22. Of course someone is bound to say hang on that should be 11/2 well no, 2/11/22 is how the majority of the world would write the date because most countries use dd-mm-yyyy format, along with using metric. Shame the prerelease photos do not include a top LCD so maybe that's in the Mk III?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I would have bought an R7 as companion to my R5 if they both had the same body, and yes it would surely have been cheaper than designing a whole new body. A great shame IMO that they farted about by shrinking the body, removing a dial and putting the rear thumbwheel around the AF joystick on the R7. A fun experiment for Canon, but I think it's lost them a lot of sales. [...]
The R7 is still backorded everywhere I look, so the 'lost sales' currently have no real world impact.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
What do you expect? Get an R5 for the price of an R6?
Of course, there won't be a lot of changes. I still think it will have the stacked sensor, because Canon currently doesn't have a 24M full frame sensor other than the R3 sensor. And it's unlikely they developed a new one specifically for this new model, when they already have the stacked sensor in production. It's cheaper for them to produce more R3 sensors than put development cost into a new sensor and have a separate production of non-stacked 24 MP sensors.
Stacked is my bet as well, for the reason you mention & the fact that it will need some headlining feature to compete with the 33mp Sony A7 IV.
But, just to be safe side, I am procuring some crow to eat tomorrow...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
So could we see a price drop of the R3 then? Especially with the R1 around the corner. Just 1000 Euros less would make the R3 much more interesting for me.
Would love to see $1000 drop in the R3 price as well! Canon pro body is on my bucket list.
Stacked is my bet as well, for the reason you mention & the fact that it will need some headlining feature to compete with the 33mp Sony A7 IV.
But, just to be safe side, I am procuring some crow to eat tomorrow...
The sony is so dreadfully slow though. When it came out my thought was it couldn't compete with the R6. Of course right now sports is my thing so obviously the bias toward speed is there.

Upvote 0
I would have bought an R7 as companion to my R5 if they both had the same body, and yes it would surely have been cheaper than designing a whole new body. A great shame IMO that they farted about by shrinking the body, removing a dial and putting the rear thumbwheel around the AF joystick on the R7. A fun experiment for Canon, but I think it's lost them a lot of sales.
Yes, it must have lost them tons of sales. I mean they're barely selling any, they've already had to reduce the price a couple of times just to shift the massive inventory they have cluttering up the warehouses, no-one is at all interested in buying this dog of a camera. What? Oh wait, never mind.....

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de

I will keep my R6 and watch this to remind myself.
hahaha mmd!!!
I met a R3 user in Hamburg on a boat trip. He had a really nice setup. But as I asked him what he is shooting normally with the R3... it was really quite :D. For sports he prefere still the 5DIII :D... he has one of the best current cameras, but doesn't know the segment to use it :D. Its just big, expensive -> must be nice to have. Fits exactly the video :D. But he was nice and not like the 1D user in the video haha.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2019
What is the button on the 135L?

It's finally the quick shift button between Eye-AF and spot AF (NOT HOLD AND SWITCH, BUT TOUCH AND SWITCH) ...

Just kidding, Canon does not listen to their customers, so it will probably be a button that needs to be HOLD the whole time to switch to Eye-AF.

Upvote 0