Let’s talk Canon EOS R1, the flagship of flagships?

Jan 22, 2012
I really hope that Canon does not make the body that much larger than the R3. Coming from 1Dx Mk2 I was thrilled to see that Canon made the R3 about 500 grams lighter and about 1 inch shorter than the 1Dx Mk2. I would not mind if they made the body a bit thicker or wider, but please do not make it taller. With a shorter body I can fit it into bags standing up that otherwise it would not.
Smaller the better, BUT functionality over size any day....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Rumours not rumors

R6mkII, 2x90D, 630 (film), Sigma 70-200 f2.8 Sport
Canon Rumors Premium
May 12, 2020
Australia mate (-:
I'd love a function when shooting in high speed continuous mode like 20 frames/sec where you could go back through the images and mark a start and end frame and then hit a button to make a video file out of the photos in the sequence between the start and end points that was non-destructive to the individual images. This would be brilliant when shooting fast moving sports like say motocross and as you\'re panning someone stacks it, you could create a brief video from the series of photos you just fired off. Even better if you could set the speed of replay so you could slow it down for better effect, sort of like using a set of images to create an animated GIF, but output as a MP4 or something similar. Actually I'd love that to be a feature of any of the current range given the R3 and R6 Mark II already have high speed capture capability.

Upvote 0

cayenne

Canon Rumors Premium
Mar 28, 2012
Nikon has a 100MP that rivals the GFX 100s that shoots at 27fps. They are waiting for the R1 to be announced and then they will bring the camera to market.
Are you saying Nikon has a digital medium format sensor like the GFX100 line of cameras from Fuji do?
Hmm...I'd not heard of that.

Upvote 0
As we know from Canon they will be:
A. LATE
B. NOT WITHOUT ISSUES
C. EXTREMELY OVERPRICED

I’m going to stick to my R6 mark II bodies for as long as I can. I would love to have an inbuilt battery grip as I always had with my 1Dx bodies. But when Canon put a low res sensor in the R3 my patience was gone. I hope they will make a normal priced (€4k) body with 50mp downsizable to 25 for press photographers.

Upvote 0
D. COMMERCIALLY SUCCESSFUL
Haven't all of the 5D series cameras had a higher megapixel FF sensors than 1D series cameras. Not just the 1DS or 1DX series FF cameras. Even the 6D Series has had higher megapixel FF sensors. The 5D series was always marketed more towards high megapixels. The 1D series was never marketed toward high megapixels. It was marketed as the "best" that Canon offers. Also the jack of all trades cameras.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Haven't all of the 5D series cameras had a higher megapixel FF sensors than 1D series cameras. Not just the 1DS or 1DX series FF cameras. Even the 6D Series has had higher megapixel FF sensors. The 5D series was always marketed more towards high megapixels. The 1D series was never marketed toward high megapixels. It was marketed as the "best" that Canon offers. Also the jack of all trades cameras.
Correct (with the exception that the R6 got the sensor from the 1D X III). But some people, particularly trolls like @Cyborx, will always be dissatisfied.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Correct (with the exception that the R6 got the sensor from the 1D X III). But some people, particularly trolls like @Cyborx, will always be dissatisfied.
The R6 was the exception but not the R6 Mark II. Most camera manufacturers don't market there top of the line cameras as megapixel powerhouses. Its usually there midrange FF camera that is. Such as the 5D (now R5) series for Canon, Nikon's D8xx (now Z8) series, Sony's A7R (formerly A7 APS-C DSLR/ DSLT even though not FF) series, Pentax's K3 (Even Though APS-C NOT FF or MILC) series (DSLR cameras ONLY no mirrorless system).

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...The 5D series was always marketed more towards high megapixels....
Slight quibble. I don't really know that Canon ever marketed the 5D series as high megapixels (Except the 5D S bodies). More like they marketed the 5D series as the all-around body and especially for wedding/portrait photographers. The 1D was marketed as the sports, high speed, built like a tank body that could be taken anywhere by photojournalists (back when photojournalists were a market). The lower megapixels of the 1D series was driven more by the need for high speed. low-light performance and buffer capacity.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Slight quibble. I don't really know that Canon ever marketed the 5D series as high megapixels (Except the 5D S bodies). More like they marketed the 5D series as the all-around body and especially for wedding/portrait photographers. The 1D was marketed as the sports, high speed, built like a tank body that could be taken anywhere by photojournalists (back when photojournalists were a market). The lower megapixels of the 1D series was driven more by the need for high speed. low-light performance and buffer capacity.
When it comes to the 5 series whether D or R series emphasis was on high the megapixels were. 1D series cameras don't have a lot of emphasis on megapixels. It never did its Canon's powerhouse camera the "jack of all" trades camera. It was always about speed of the camera not the megapixels.

Upvote 0