16-35mm or 17-40mm owners--what filters do you use with your lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Nikon Clear 77mm UV filter that I "found" at a closing Ritz store about 2 years ago for about $35.00 ($100 plus filter).

Even though it's Nikon (and I shoot Canon) it is still an awesome filter. But my main intrigue is using a ND filter for landscapes. What type (brand, specs) filters do you guys use? I know I need a great ND filter to get the most out of my landscapes. However, I have been putting off this expensive purchase for several years.

I see Heliopan and B & W have somewhat affordable ND filters on Ebay. Of course, they have $400.00 filters as well. What is an awesome ND filter for under $150.00. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

pwp said:
The money you spend on a grad ND may be better spent on getting Lightroom with it's endlessly useful Gradient tool. I use this all the time to put richness back into skies or darken up an over-bright foreground in a "flash-on-camera" shot.

No way.

Bringing back blown highlights in post can only get you so far. For truly bright skies where you want to retain detail in the foreground you MUST use an ND Grad filter at time of capture.

I highly recommend Lee filters. I don't go anywhere without my set of Lee ND Grads...

As for UV filters... I figure that I've just spent thousands on a new lens... what's an extra $50-$100 to get a great filter? I always buy B&W Haze filters... they've served me very well over the years. You just put 'em on and forget they exist.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.