40D vs. 6D AF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Couldn't disagree more. It is a joke to compare the 40D to the 6D. And to emphasize a half frame per second is not good logic. A camera will obsolete in short order and the money saved can go to better glass which does not depreciate significantly. The 6D got a lot of bad press, but when I looked at buying I read what actual owners wrote and it was clear they and now we were very pleased. It is a pleasure to operate and the AF is not anywhere close to what non-owners critical comments suggest. The software has improved AF significantly. That's not to say there aren't any negatives in the realm of the number and type of crosspoints but it's nothing close to as bad as many claim. Face recognition is very good too. And WiFi is great for remote tripod shooting.

My 6D will become a wonderful second body for what it does spectacularly and in due course a more suitable wildlife body will serve that role. There was some uncertainty at the time of purchase and I figured better a smaller dollar mistake than a $1000 more if I end up selling and to me that's sensible. The 5D3 is a great camera but in my opinion not worth the extra dollars unless its few stronger features are game breakers for you.

Jack

Upvote 0
The 6D definitely got some bad press, but like you, the more I look into the details and actual user reviews, the better it sounds. It'll definitely be nice to have an extra $1500 to spend on other items to improve my kit.

Does the 6D have face recognition? Never heard about that...

[edit]
On rereading your post, I realize you're not referring to face recognition as in the auto face detect found in some P&S cameras, but rather the effectiveness of the 6D's AF at recognizing faces.

Upvote 0
I just sold my 6D and purchased the 5D3. The 6D is an awesome camera if you understand it's limitations; the outer AF points.
If you are fine with using the center AF point or do a lot of manual focusing, then you will be a happy camper. Yes it does in fact have the best center AF point that I have ever experienced, it would acquire focus in low light better and more reliably than my 1D3 and even my 5D3. I have shot a couple of high school girls basketball games and the first several girls high school soccer games with the 6D and I was very impressed with the center AF accuracy.
It is just those outer AF points that leave a lot to be desired. Hit rate at those high school games with outer AF was less than 40%. Using those outer points to quickly acquire focus is very frustrating. The T4i and T5i have superior outer AF points when compared to the 6D, they are all 5.6 cross-points sensors. I have used the T4i in my home and those outer AF points would quickly acquire focus where my 6D would not.
If canon had just gave the 6D the same or similar outer cross-point sensors like what the T4i/T5i has, I would have kept the 6D. Good luck with your decision.

Upvote 0
Jblake captures the point succinctly, I rarely centre focus, and having a very active six year old as well as an interest in sports the 6D autofocus is just not for me. Oh and Jack, I wasn't emphasizing the loss of half a frame per second, I was talking off the loss of 2 frames per second between the 40D (6.5) and the 6D (4.5) that's a major step backwards for me.

The other thing that I love about the 40D is the joystick on the back which I use constantly for controlling my AF points, I would be lost without it. It amazes me that Canon dropped this from both the 60 and 6D's because it is perfectly positioned and means that I don't have to take my eye off the shot to change my AF points. I am sure there will be other ways to achieve that, but I do believe in the school of thought that says, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Jd

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
On face recognition - I had the 6D sitting on a bench as I played with the Wifi and there is absolutely no doubt it recognizes and refocuses on a face. I was moving my head all around and watching the camera's behavior on my computer monitor.

These camera discussions always represent opinions that are personal and I wouldn't push a 6D over a 5D3 unless money was an issue. However, I really wanted WiFi for remote shooting and the 5D3 didn't have it, so that finally made the difference for me. I was very apprehensive about the AF and decided that I was OK with recomposing at least until the next "has it all" crop camera hits the shelves. Getting the 24-70 F4, and the 300 F2.8 with both extenders was a killer on the pocket book! Also I didn't like the extra size and weight of the 5D3.

Todays shot 6D 300 2.8 II 2X III 1000th F5.6 ISO 1600 late evening

Jack

Attachments

• Lesser Yellowlegs.JPG
    Lesser Yellowlegs.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 642
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.