40D with grip for $300, or something else?

I can get it for $200 without grip/L-plate

Lots of good info, thanks.

I've confirmed I can get it for $200 with everything original and an extra battery, which suits me fine. Don't feel the need for the grip and Lplate, which will be taken out of the deal.

The appeal is that it's only $200. It's not been used much (was a backup cam) and it'll probably sit around a fair bit in my drawer and bag. And I can get it locally with no tax, easy, etc. I was prompted to get it because I have a ski resort shoot coming up (I don't do a lot of paid photo gigs) and I just don't want to risk standing there looking stupid if the 6D does something unexpected. And my backup to the 40D in a pinch will be the Sony RX100 which isn't a bad third-string fallback if desperate.

I will test it with my lenses to make sure there isn't any focus adjust required. That sounds like the main limiting factor on the camera. I'm used to a brick camera with good low iso, having used Sony a700 and a850. Feel like I know what I'm getting into. Heck the 40D might be preferable to the 6D for some outdoor action shooting...

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
I have a 40D then bought a 7D thought the 40Ds images were better (was pretty disappointed tbh) so sold the 7D and bought a 5DMKIII that is like a true full frame upgrade to the 40D IMO. Also what I was waiting for from FF.

The 40D is still a great camera but if your used to a full frame sensor then I think you will be underwhelled. Its a brilliant camera for what it does and the files are brilliant up to 800ISO. Still use it as a backup, but now only as a last resort compared to the 5DMKIII.

I have mine coupled with a 17-55mm and its a brilliant combo the images are so sharp. Held onto the 17-55mm specifically for that reason and also if Canon get their act together and produce a high performing APC sensor like the old days with the 40D.

The two main downfalls I would say are the screen res it really is very difficult to see if the images are sharp when used to the newer screens and as said no AFMA but its not deal breaker you just have to test lenses before you buy them to make sure they are suited.

People always say go for the 50D but its the same tech but the sensor is bumped up in resolution by a 1/3!! Which makes very noisy images compared to the 40 and high ISO is worse. But it has AFMA and a higher res screen.

The 5DC would be a good choice but it is an archaic camera now, so so slow, awful screen no AFMA. But the images are stunning.

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
Re: I can get it for $200 without grip/L-plate

Mr_Canuck said:
I just don't want to risk standing there looking stupid if the 6D does something unexpected.

The 6d doesn't use the same cards or batteries (afaik) as the 40d, but still, I'm definitely keeping my 60d around for backup because electronics simply tend to fails and ... well ... things break. Using a crop camera is also fine for macro (longer working distance). For that price, it sounds like a solid deal, I guess the 50d and esp. 60d bodies are still much more expensive if in good condition.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Upon buying my 6D and 300 2.8 I got all worked up about the IQ and sent it to Canon. Then I bought a 40D for $200 and used my 24-70 4 for a couple months. Very glad I did, and then I gave it and the 70-300 non-L to my daughter and it's serving her very well (she had an EOS film and a 17-40 already). I liked the 40D and if I wasn't looking at a 6D 2nd camera upgrade soon, I'd grab another 40D in a blink.

Jack

Upvote 0