5D Mark III Firmware Update 1.2.1 Battery Fault

Hi, after I upgraded my 5D mkiii to 1.2.1 my camera does not recognise my batteries which are original canon batteries. I even bought new ones just to be sure. I am certain it happened straight after the update and can find no cure at the moment except canon asking me to return the camera to them for repair. I know the update is supposed to do this for 3rd party batteries but not original canon batteries.. Has anyone come across this ? Cheers....

Yes , the camera still works but I get the "batteries not recognised " and press ok.. The batteries are not seen and indicates low battery all the time. Annoying really so I carry spare batteries just in case as I can't see battery levels. I do a lot of field work and it is just another thing to worry about on location. Here's hoping canon will recognise the problem or admit there is a problem. If they did at least I would know they are working on it. Just wanted to advise not to upgrade if you haven't already and wait for the next one.. :) Hope a fix comes soon..

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Carnage said:
Yes , the camera still works but I get the "batteries not recognised " and press ok.. The batteries are not seen and indicates low battery all the time. Annoying really so I carry spare batteries just in case as I can't see battery levels. I do a lot of field work and it is just another thing to worry about on location. Here's hoping canon will recognise the problem or admit there is a problem. If they did at least I would know they are working on it. Just wanted to advise not to upgrade if you haven't already and wait for the next one.. :) Hope a fix comes soon..
The fix is to send in your defective camera. This is not a normal occurrence, I've had two 5D MK III's and no issues like that. Canon did apparently update some of their batteries about the first of the year.

Don't expect a firmware fix, it will likely never come.

Upvote 0
I guess firmware 1.2.1 might do checksum based on both camera information and battery information. Unfortunately the new algorithm has a flaw, so it doesn't work well with your camera. It shouldn't affect any function of this camera. I think Canon should fix the problem in the next firmware. You should report the issue to Canon.

Upvote 0