5Diii ISO in Manual Mode

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
I am not sure if this has been covered but I am hoping that one of you can tell me if I am missing something in the menus or settings.

In manual mode, while adjusting the shutter or aperture, the exposure meter moves right or left in the viewfinder. If, however, one wants to change the ISO (it is an exposure triad after all), pushing the ISO button atop the camera allows me to adjust the setting but the meter does not move. Then, when the shutter is pressed halfway or the ISO button is again pressed, the meter shows it's new exposure reading.

Is there any way to have the meter move while dialing the ISO "real time?" A friend's Nikon does this and it would make changing any or all of the settings easier and faster (and no, this is NOT a Canon bash or a Nikon promotion, I am just wondering if there is a workaround).

Thanks, all.

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Hi JPAZ!

I shoot a lot in manual mode but with "Auto ISO", having an eye on the ISO so that it stays in the range I want it to.
AFAI can recall then the metering of course then stays in the middle but you can see "in real time" how a change of aperture or shutter has an effect on the ISO value.

Maybe not the prefered solution for you, but a possible workaround for your issue.

The downside is that you cannot make any exposure compensation in manual anymore.
(Damn, that they didn't add this to the FW)

Upvote 0
Maximilian said:
Hi JPAZ!

I shoot a lot in manual mode but with "Auto ISO", having an eye on the ISO so that it stays in the range I want it to.
AFAI can recall then the metering of course then stays in the middle but you can see "in real time" how a change of aperture or shutter has an effect on the ISO value.

Maybe not the prefered solution for you, but a possible workaround for your issue.

The downside is that you cannot make any exposure compensation in manual anymore.
They made it available in both the 7DII and 5DS/DSR, so if they wanted to, they could ...

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Eldar said:
Maximilian said:
They made it available in both the 7DII and 5DS/DSR, so if they wanted to, they could ...
I know, I know. That's why I'm cursing around ;)

Upvote 0