600EX-RT vs. 600EXII-RT

Jan 29, 2011
pwp said:
Solution is to be a bit prescient, and gang up two flashes on half power or three or one-third power. That way you're unlikely to stress the flashes plus get rocket fast recycle times.

-pw

Having hit the power limit on six ganged 600's I am taking another route. I had thought the Profoto B1 would be my answer but at only 500Ws it isn't that much more powerful. But the new D2 at 1000Ws running off my PCB Lithium Extreme gives me ETTL, HSS and more power than I could run, via the Canon route of 15 units, in a single head, it also gives me all day use via mains or hundreds of full power pops or up to 20 flashes per second for a fraction of the cost of all those 600EX-RT's. Not that I will sell the RT's I have, just there are many options now that integrate with all native functionality.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
privatebydesign said:
pwp said:
Solution is to be a bit prescient, and gang up two flashes on half power or three or one-third power. That way you're unlikely to stress the flashes plus get rocket fast recycle times.

-pw

Having hit the power limit on six ganged 600's I am taking another route. I had thought the Profoto B1 would be my answer but at only 500Ws it isn't that much more powerful. But the new D2 at 1000Ws running off my PCB Lithium Extreme gives me ETTL, HSS and more power than I could run, via the Canon route of 15 units, in a single head, it also gives me all day use via mains or hundreds of full power pops or up to 20 flashes per second for a fraction of the cost of all those 600EX-RT's. Not that I will sell the RT's I have, just there are many options now that integrate with all native functionality.

Yes there is a practical limit to speedlight output/practicality. When I know for sure I'll be pushing the limits with speedlights, I have half a dozen Einsteins ready for action. The speedlight limitations may related to sheer output, or more often if it's a long job, battery limitations become a reality. When working with talent, very fast recycle times are usually a must. I'll sometimes gang up multiple Einsteins set to low power rather than one Einstein set to full power. You can just burn along. Another plus (vs speedlights) is the range of modifier options for Einstein (or just about any monobloc flash for that matter).

For jobs where I use flash, I'm probably around 40% speedlights, 20% Godox Witstro AD 360's and 40% Einsteins. Occasionally I'll use my 12"x12" video LED light panels on a stills shoot, typically on a small item product shoot. It's so nice and controllable, and no heat.

We're so incredibly fortunate at this point in history to have such broad and affordable lighting choices.

-pw

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
pwp said:
CanonFanBoy said:
Mancubus said:
I don't like the 600EXII simply because now I can't find the 600EX anymore in any shops around here, and the EXII costs 50% more!

I got the 600EX for a very good price 6 months ago, but now they're all gone! I should have bought 2 or 3 instead of only one!

I wanted 8 more, but ran out of money long before the stores ran out of the flashes. :)

Eight more? Seriously? Doesn't that make a total of 15? That's an awful lot of setup time and battery management.

-pw

Yes, but then I'd have a complete set. If Syl can do it, why not I? :)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
privatebydesign said:
pwp said:

-pw

And you are quite correct, which is why I abandoned my quest for fifteen 600's after I got the 7th. Contrary to what people say, ignorance is NOT bliss. Grrrrr... :'( Lot's of money thrown out.

Upvote 0