70-200 F4 L IS noise too much

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tara

Dear All,

PLEASE RESPOND to my concerns. Thanks !!!

I bought recently 70-200 F4 L IS and when IS is on it makes too much noise with my 5D Mark2. When IS is off its completely silent. I do understand IS movement has to work and it may make some noise in order to have image stabilization. But I have NEVER heard this kind of IS motor noise in any other canon lenses.

Is that normal? Have you guy come across similar scratchy noise? Sometimes I feel so annoying.

I too have 24-105 F4 L IS and 100mm L F2.8 IS lens and have used around two other L IS lens is then past, but IS on those lens are pretty much acceptable and noise are not at all comparing to this one.

I thought I got a bad copy,so returned first one and ordered another. The second one also makes same noise. I am kind of so dis-satisfied with this highly regarded L lens. Focus and image looks good and I have not seen any other problem so for.

But my concern Is this normal for this L lens. Please respond me and your any feedback would be highly appreciated.

thanks a lot in advance.
-Tara

D

DynaMike

It's gonna make some noise, so if it's silent I would say it's not working. I've had that experience unfortunately. While it does makes some noise, I wouldn't say it's loud. Sounds like a really low humming mechanical noise. I can hear it working if in a quiet room, but if I'm outside I can't hear it. Have you done any test shots to see if it's working normally?

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Some people are very sensitive to noise, and others are not, so its hard for us to know what your lens is doing.

I'd return or exchange it if you can. If you bought it used, you may be stuck with a failing IS ... or it may last forever.

You can send it to canon for a check, however, before you do that, see if you can find a similar lens to try as a comparison. If they sound alike, then your lens is likely normal and the sound just resonates with your sensitive hearing.

Upvote 0
T

tara

Thank you everyone for their input. I appreciate a lot.

As said, In the silent room its too much noise and also for video work, the noise can be easily heard on the video replay.

The first new lens I returned and bought another new and even with the second copy its same noise, so it looks to me its kind of normal for this lens ONLY. But I wonder on the on 70-200 f2.8 L how come its pretty much silent. Also I surprise this lens has high no of 5 start ratings. Though I do understand it has good IQ.

Also Do you guys think I should return this as well, its driving me suspicious of having fault inside lens?

Any thoughts, please.

Thanks

Upvote 0
From my experience, it does make a hum... however it's kinda reassuring to me knowing it's on and working (rather than thinking it should be on but it isn't or off). I find it maybe louder than other lenses I've used but not over the top. Plus, as far as your subject matter is concerned, at the distance you will be shooting at, it shouldn't be loud enough to bother your subject matter except if your in an ultraquiet studio setting... It's a personal thing...

Upvote 0
tara said:
Also I surprise this lens has high no of 5 start ratings. Though I do understand it has good IQ.

Also Do you guys think I should return this as well, its driving me suspicious of having fault inside lens?
Thanks

This lens is excellent in terms of IQ, quality, and IS... it is loud but most are willing to overlook the noise for great images... Regarding the video, are you using an external mic or on-board mic? At your distance using a telephoto lens, it may just be worth while having a simple cheap mic that goes on your hot shoe... Better audio of your subjects and no IS buzzing... From what you describe, I dont think you have a faulty IS, but it a personal preference if you can live with it or not... I cant speak for the 2.8 IS... perhaps because it's physically bigger they build in a bigger damper area within the lens to eliminate the noise? I dont know, but I think your lens is up to par... and if you want to sell it for used prices, let me know. =)

Upvote 0
hi,
your lens works just normal, the 70-200 f4 is a little noisy but in the end a very good lens. the IS is a bit loud but works very well! if you are using the onboard mic you will hear the IS on the 70-200 f2,8 as well (not that loud but still audible). generally you are going to hear everything, like focusing, zooming and IS on any lens i know. so you should record audio with an external mic to avoid that.... makes the sound generally much better btw. :)
regards

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.