A rare Canon FD 24mm f/1.4 S.S.C. Aspherical hits the next Wetzlar Camera Auction with a starting bid of €6,000

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
off topic but the audio thing isn't so simple and some (not all) the pro vinyl crowd have a point. Ignoring the snake oil audiophile BS with claims analog sounds better (completely debunked myth) it is more about the mastering and not unusual in some genres for the original vinyl pressing to be mastered better vs modern digital remasters. Just because digital containers have higher potential quality doesn't mean the contents has been engineered to take advantage of that, some times much much lower. Much like if you took 16bit photo container and instead of putting 14bit of light info in it you put 4 or 5bit in there folks wouldn't be wrong for saying the 8bit jpeg looked better for high DR scenes. Potentially the 16bit file should have wider DR, less posterisation etc etc but depends on what has been done to the source, same applies to audio.

Not always trending to worse but far from uncommon for modern masters to be compressed to the point you may be looking at a DR of around 4 or 5 (worse in some cases) vs much higher for the vinyl version thus some folks who care gravitate to vinyl version. I've worked with several people with pro audio engineer and e-eng backgrounds who hate audiophile nonsense but prefer some (not always) vinyl versions. Of course they don't listen to it on vinyl but in a digital format but files authored from the original vinyl vs modern remasters, the wider DR versions being unavailable generally in direct download digital or DVDA or CDA forms.
Who exactly is hiring people, to make digital masters, that know less than random nobodies on the street like you or me? I have a pretty hard time believing that is true. Granted in the earliest days of digital masters, there were some old hands who were given such jobs who didn't know the most basic things, but there were only a handful of such masters and I imagine they've all been reissued, no? I'm happy to hear you out and learn something and if your story is true I can say that I would find it very amazing and interesting to hear.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Who exactly is hiring people, to make digital masters, that know less than random nobodies on the street like you or me? I have a pretty hard time believing that is true. Granted in the earliest days of digital masters, there were some old hands who were given such jobs who didn't know the most basic things, but there were only a handful of such masters and I imagine they've all been reissued, no? I'm happy to hear you out and learn something and if your story is true I can say that I would find it very amazing and interesting to hear.
It's not about knowing basic things or not, it's about how the producer wants it to sound in the end. Have a look at the loudness war wikipedia to see why album quality took a nosedive in the 90s. People started ripping music from the Guitar Hero game since that turned out to be the only source of not-loudnessed Metallica songs.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
Have a look at the loudness war wikipedia to see why album quality took a nosedive in the 90s.
but that would apply to both digital and vinyl. Where digital and vinyl used separate masters, there's also equal chance the digital would have the better master. You're only making an argument for what kind of mastering goal is superior, which has FA to do with the storage medium. Of course I know what you're talking about. I recall Rush made a clean break with the loudness wars after a fan showed how their albums were having less and less dynamic range with passing time.

Upvote 0