Bugs Bugs and more Bugs

TheJock

Oct 10, 2013
Dubai
Do you think that a large (i.e. 10" x 6") softbox which protrudes to the end of the lens would help with the rectangular light reflections in macro work? or would that emphasise it???
I love the iridescent green of the fly’s behind, but I can see how the flash has impacted on the colour, I just wonder if the softbox idea would help with that?
And what’s the deal with Flickr? Are your images protected more than on say Facebook or Photobucket?? I also really need to figure out how to add a copyright symbol and signature to my images, I have Elements 12 but I’ve only used it once!!

Upvote 0
TheJock said:
Do you think that a large (i.e. 10" x 6") softbox which protrudes to the end of the lens would help with the rectangular light reflections in macro work? or would that emphasise it???
I love the iridescent green of the fly’s behind, but I can see how the flash has impacted on the colour, I just wonder if the softbox idea would help with that?
And what’s the deal with Flickr? Are your images protected more than on say Facebook or Photobucket?? I also really need to figure out how to add a copyright symbol and signature to my images, I have Elements 12 but I’ve only used it once!!
Hey mate, only just saw your post. Been a very busy period and haven't had the chance to log here or either Flickr to add more photos. Now, taking your queries one at a time.
I did try using a soft box but what ended up happening was the soft box covering my subject thus getting it under exposed. see here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/antonispapavasiliou/9328535364/
Unfortunately since then i moved to another house with less of a mess in the garden which means i don't get to see as many bugs anymore unless i venture towards the country a bit which would scare the old people around my area ( a slow moving guy on his knees for hours and hours trying to shoot bugs) ;D ;)
I also see what you mean by the flash "affecting" the colours a bit but i'll be honest i kinda like it ! I'd prefer a more natural feel to it but i guess giving them a "model" look sometimes gives a different feel to the photos.
As for Flickr am not sure how much safer it is from Facebook ( i know FB owns any photos that are uploaded there) but i like the interface you get with Flickr. Strictly photography and no other annoyances… As for a copyright symbol and logo just make a template using any software you have and then layer it onto of your images ! That's how i do it !!
P.s. Thumbs up on your photos on Flickr.

Upvote 0
Why all the criticism regarding 7D for macro, Ive been using 7D and get great results, you sure your using ISO to its full potential? You can see a few samples on my Flickr page.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/just-in-credible/

Flash will help, I use a 580EX on a Macro bracket to get these results, but even with this, i expect to use fairly high ISO to keep natural looking backgrounds. Flash is primarily for fill use only!

Upvote 0

TheJock

Oct 10, 2013
Dubai
Ant_Pap_Cy said:
Hey mate, only just saw your post. Been a very busy period and haven't had the chance to log here or either Flickr to add more photos. Now, taking your queries one at a time.
I did try using a soft box but what ended up happening was the soft box covering my subject thus getting it under exposed. see here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/antonispapavasiliou/9328535364/
Unfortunately since then i moved to another house with less of a mess in the garden which means i don't get to see as many bugs anymore unless i venture towards the country a bit which would scare the old people around my area ( a slow moving guy on his knees for hours and hours trying to shoot bugs) ;D ;)
I also see what you mean by the flash "affecting" the colours a bit but i'll be honest i kinda like it ! I'd prefer a more natural feel to it but i guess giving them a "model" look sometimes gives a different feel to the photos.
As for Flickr am not sure how much safer it is from Facebook ( i know FB owns any photos that are uploaded there) but i like the interface you get with Flickr. Strictly photography and no other annoyances… As for a copyright symbol and logo just make a template using any software you have and then layer it onto of your images ! That's how i do it !!
P.s. Thumbs up on your photos on Flickr.
Thanks so much for your reply and positive comments, I’m sorry it’s taken me so long to reply too, I’ve also just moved house so feeling your pain!!
I found this little fella on the window in the kitchen about 2 weeks back, I really see the benefit that the L version (with IS) will afford me over my current non L 100mm lens, another expense LOL ;D

Attachments

• IMG_0671.JPG
    IMG_0671.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 246
Upvote 0
I find that a very good feature of the 5D3 for macro is the silent shutter mode.
When I use my 60d or 70d, the loud shutter noise can frighten the bugs away.
A good technique to use is set the camera to continuous focus and high speed motor drive.
That way, if you sway a little, one of the burst should be OK.

Attachments

• _B5_3907.jpg
    _B5_3907.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 243
Upvote 0