CAMERA SECURITY - MUST WATCH

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Sad, scary; and the panicked, dangerous reaction is completely understandable. Cars, guns, being robbed...A huge adrenaline overload.

I like the idea of being able to somehow brick the camera, but not everybody connects to the Web or uses wifi at all with the camera. A phone, of course, is useless if it doesn't connect.

What about lenses? Tripods? Speedlites? The Air-tag doesn't look effective, but an internal, integrated tracker might help.

The Mekita battery solution sounds promising.

Good reminder to be careful, but even with a buddy on location, safety isn't assured. I can't even imagine using Model Mayhem anymore. (And I guess not many people still do.)

Thanks, bergstrom.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
On another note, I know that using a screen name, trying to be anonymous, is not anywhere near foolproof, but I am surprised by the people who give their actual name and location online, or link to a photo gallery/website that has the info. AND they list their gear.

Finally, I hope we don't get into a silly discussion about arming oneself. While carrying a concealed firearm for personal protection makes sense in America in some situations, at exactly what point in the video above would a firefight have been a good idea? At what point would brandishing a gun have resulted in a better outcome against two attackers? Remember there are bystanders on the street and in their homes just yards away. No matter how expensive the gear, the financial, emotional, and reputational costs of shooting somebody--even an armed perpetrator--are much higher. And dead criminals have friends, fellow gang members, and family who know how to retaliate, even against a photographer's loved ones. Last resort to defend life only. But when caught by surprise with somebody already holding their weapon? Hmmm....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
On another note, I know that using a screen name, trying to be anonymous, is not anywhere near foolproof, but I am surprised by the people who give their actual name and location online, or link to a photo gallery/website that has the info. AND they list their gear.

Finally, I hope we don't get into a silly discussion about arming oneself. While carrying a concealed firearm for personal protection makes sense in America in some situations, at exactly what point in the video above would a firefight have been a good idea? At what point would brandishing a gun have resulted in a better outcome against two attackers? Remember there are bystanders on the street and in their homes just yards away. No matter how expensive the gear, the financial, emotional, and reputational costs of shooting somebody--even an armed perpetrator--are much higher. And dead criminals have friends, fellow gang members, and family who know how to retaliate, even against a photographer's loved ones. Last resort to defend life only. But when caught by surprise with somebody already holding their weapon? Hmmm....
Yes, it would not have helped in this situation. If they've got the drop on you, you're not going to succeed in drawing on them and shooting.

However, if you could do so, you would be morally and legally justified (you're allowed to defend against an armed robbery with lethal force, at least in most states, because your life is being threatened).

And you're correct to point out that a large part of security is not letting the bad guys know you have valuables worth stealing. Of course some bad guys target people for looking unwary and/or unable to defend themselves and whether they have much of value is a secondary consideration.

• Sad
Upvote 0

Monte

EOS R3
CR Pro
Jul 7, 2013
ALBERTA, CANADA
Certainly would/could be possible with the R3 maybe? It wouldn’t take much to have a micro camera sensor looking back at your eye and scanning your eye to unlock the camera when first turned on and you put the viewfinder to your eye. Kind of like face scanning on iPhone’s.

Last edited:
Upvote 0