Canon 135L or the 100L Macro?

B

briansquibb

I use the 135 with the 5DII. To get the shutter speed below 1/125 @ iso 3200, f2 it really has to be quite dark. I wonder if this obsession with low light performance and therefore NEEDING IS is a product of the modern age. I find that I know it is going to be dark and therefore have the monopod and more usually the tripod at the ready.

I have seen people moaning about no IS on a 24mm :eek: :eek: :eek:

The 135 on a ff is quite a long but excellent portrait lens, whereas on the crop it is a short telephoto. On the 1d4 I prefer the 85 f/1.8 as default short lens.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
dewa said:
If you're not that into candid street photography, you can relatively ignore the 135mm.

good luck.

The 135mmL is a portrait, theater and stage lens. 135mm lenses have been used for portraits for a long long time, well back into the beginning of 35mm cameras. You can use it for candid photography, but that big front end is not easy to hide.

Upvote 0
My main reason for getting the 135 was to photograph pine martens, where f/2 really comes in handy, but I have also taken some candid portraits in a poorly lit pub (not really my forte but it worked). I use it mainly on the 5d MKII, but if the light is slightly higher, then it would also work on the 7D in the right circumstances, it just depends on how far away your chosen subject is. Also, while I mainly use the non-IS 100 for macro work, with a full set of Kenko extension tubes, you can get close to half life size and it would effectively be more on the crop sensor of the 7D. Also, the extreme depth of field at f/2 at near macro gives a distinctive appearance, that you just can't get with a normal macro lens. It isn't to everyone's taste, but it opens up a whole new area of creativity. The tonality and contrast of the 135 also helps with the distinctive look.
Basically, you need to decide on your main reason for the lens. Do you want street portraits at a distance lon enough to merit the 135 or macro the most? The answer will probably determine the best lens.

Upvote 0