Canon 7D/Sigma 10-20mm or Canon 6D/16-35mm f4 ?

Jan 31, 2015
Hi guys

At the moment I'm shooting all with my old Canon 7D -> Landscape with a Sigma 10-20mm, Macro with a 100mm IS USM and Tele with a 55-250 IS USM (Hopefully soon replaced by the new 100-40mm II.

I have a few bucks to spend but I'm not sure about where to spend it, so maybe you guys can help me with that.

Should I just upgrade my body to the 7D Mk2 or should I upgrade to a 6D and use the new 16-35mm f4. What would you do?
Are there any reviews with side by side comparison of both solution/lenses ? Like how much improvement do you gain for landscape shots? Honestly I'm pretty satisfied with the Sigma 10-20mm....

Thanks for your advice guys!

Here is a comparison of the two lenses. http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=711 No way to select the two cameras that you are referring to, however. I think the 16-35/4 is going to be the better lens for ultrawide to wide-angle shooting. The biggest question, though, is what do you prefer shooting? The 6D and the 7D series are very much opposites, and have many more differences than similarities. You should choose the best body/sensor format for that purpose and then select your lenses accordingly.

I think the biggest reasons people choose the 6D are:
  • shallow depth of field from a full-frame sensor
  • low light capability (although newer crop-cameras will improve in this area over older crop-cameras)
  • maximizes the field of view offered by quality lenses
  • WiFi built-in
  • GPS built-in (although other bodies are getting this, too)
  • smaller and lighter than 5D, 7D series options

I think the biggest reasons people choose the 7D series are:
  • powerful autofocus options
  • higher frames-per-second speed
  • crop sensor provides more "reach" for longer lenses
  • GPS built-in (7DII only)
  • more affordable than 5DIII or 1DX
  • crop lenses are more affordable than L series lenses

Which of those factors are more attractive to you? I bought the 6D because I needed wider, better low-light performance, and I loved the idea of wifi and GPS. Ultimately, I'll be keeping my 6D and adding a 7DII when I need the FPS and "reach" of the crop sensor.

Upvote 0

wsmith96

Advancing Amateur
Aug 17, 2012
Texas
I think that you would really like the 6D with the new 16-35 f4L. RLPhoto posted a review of this lens shooting landscapes and compared it to the 17-40. You can see it here: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=21620.

This isn't a comparison of a ff vs crop wide angle solution, but he does show how well the lens performs.

Upvote 0
You're not going to notice any significant differences, between the two, except if you shoot at high ISO (1600 and higher) and/or print very big. The only scenario that comes to mind in which the FF sensor will deliver much more solid results is astrophotography. If that's not your cup of tea but you really want to spend that money into photography, consider a lightweight and well made tripod, if you don't have one, or book a travel to some place that will inspire you to make cool photographs! :)

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2015
Thank you all for your answers. I reall think I will stay at APS-C for the moment, as I don't need high ISO or very big prints. I ordered some 120cmx80cm prints. If they are OK, I'm more than happy with my 7D and the Sigma combo for landscape.

I might add another body, so I don't have to switch lenses. Or a big telephoto lens. We will see.

Thank you all for the information
cheers

Upvote 0