Canon bolsters cinema line up with two new Flex Zoom lenses and updates to Cinema EOS cameras

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon Europe today announces the launch of two Super 35mm lenses for high-end 4K, 8K and HDR cinema productions, which enhances its Flex Zoom line-up. With the ongoing popularity of the Super 35mm sensor, the CN-E14-35mm T1.7 L S / SP and CN-E31.5-95mm T1.7 L S / SP are the fastest Super 35mm lenses on

See full article...

el peso

EOS R6 Mark II
Sep 13, 2019
Cost = ????
Has there been a precedent where a lens focal length has had a precision of 0.5mm?
My recollection of patents is that Canon has been a bit flexible in the past with the exact focal length vs advertised focal length.
Fujinon 17.5-105mm TV Zoom
Sigma 18.5mm f/1.8 DC

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Cost = ????
Has there been a precedent where a lens focal length has had a precision of 0.5mm?
My recollection of patents is that Canon has been a bit flexible in the past with the exact focal length vs advertised focal length.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
Cost = ????
Yes. In TV lenses, it’s very common to have “point” focal lengths. A few Canon examples: CJ15ex8.5B, KJ10ex4.5B, CJ15ex4.3B, CJ25ex7.6B. The first number is the zoom ratio and the second is the back-end(wide) focal length. So the Canon 10x4.5 is a 4.5mm-45mm zoom lens.

*Edit*. And almost forgot about the old CN-E 14.5-60 and 15.5-47 cine zooms.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Cost = ????
These are the same lens as the previously announced Flex Zoom 20-50mm T2.4 and 45-135mm T2.4, but with a new relay that allows then to be faster whilst losing coverage in full frame (hence why they're called "flex zooms", you can ask Canon support to swap the relay in order to make then faster at Super 35 or full frame at lost of a stop in speed). Hence why the weird focal lens length: 14-35mm T1.7 = 20-50mm T2.4 & 31.5-95mm T1.7 = 45-135mm T2.4.

Also, it means the price is the same: USD22.000 per lens.

No mention on the cost of the relays and/or the service to swap them.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The redesign in 2018 dramatically reduced weight in the 400 and 600.
The autofocus is substantially faster in the 400 and 600.
Weight has been shifted further back giving better balance and hand holding to the 400 and 600.
Given the timing and features that Canon says are RF only, like in-lens profiles, I suspect the RF versions aren’t “EF with adapter”, but the EF versions are rather “RF without adapter”.

The ‘delay’ between the releases was likely to extract maximum cash from the target audience :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Given the timing and features that Canon says are RF only, like in-lens profiles, I suspect the RF versions aren’t “EF with adapter”, but the EF versions are rather “RF without adapter”.
Potaaayto, potahhhto. The MkII versions of the 300/400/500/600 came out over a decade ago. The 400 and 600 got MkIII versions, the 300 and 500 did not.

Given that the EF III lenses launched after the EOS R, it’s possible some of the ‘new’ features of the RF versions were built into the EF versions in terms of hardware.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016

The ‘delay’ between the releases was likely to extract maximum cash from the target audience :)
Agreed that may be the case, although we are looking at the last revamp of the 500 was 2011. Hoping it comes soon enough.

Upvote 0

I would say that EF will remain dominant in the cine world. It's a long time standard and EF lenses are used on RED's, Sony's, Arri's, and Black Magic for many years without an issue. Introducing RF versions of these lenses only serves to severely limit Canon's potential market.

I do think Canon has painted themsleves into a corner with RF. In many ways EF is still superior, and will remain so.

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
I would say that EF will remain dominant in the cine world. It's a long time standard and EF lenses are used on RED's, Sony's, Arri's, and Black Magic for many years without an issue. Introducing RF versions of these lenses only serves to severely limit Canon's potential market.

I do think Canon has painted themsleves into a corner with RF. In many ways EF is still superior, and will remain so.
Yep. The problem with RF lenses, you can only use them on RF cameras, because of the shallow flange depth/back focus distance. Whereas EF is like PL, and is pretty deep, so you can easily adapt them to other cameras/mounts, because there is plenty of space for an adapter. And the cine and TV camera market is waaaay different than the still camera market. Luckily Canon, being in the TV lens market for decades and decades, knows this. Heck, even Arri makes EF mounts for their cameras. I have one for my Amira.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Yep. The problem with RF lenses, you can only use them on RF cameras, because of the shallow flange depth/back focus distance. Whereas EF is like PL, and is pretty deep, so you can easily adapt them to other cameras/mounts, because there is plenty of space for an adapter. And the cine and TV camera market is waaaay different than the still camera market. Luckily Canon, being in the TV lens market for decades and decades, knows this. Heck, even Arri makes EF mounts for their cameras. I have one for my Amira.
Basically, all New Canon cinema lenses are convertible between PL and EF.
Those are the two mounts everyone supports.
RF may catch on beyond RED and Canon but nothing close to what EF did.
Panasonic and Sony have their own mirrorless mounts.

Upvote 0