Canon Cinema EOS C500 Mark II Talk [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
The Canon Cinema EOS C500 has probably been the biggest bust in the Cinema EOS lineup by most accounts. While it was the first 4K cinema EOS camera video specific camera, it was deemed overpriced when compared to the competition and and people were more interested in using the highly successful Cinema EOS C300 and its 4K follow-up the C300 Mark II.</p>
<p>We’re told that Canon is working on a follow-up to the C500 and that it will become the highest resolution video camera in the lineup. The Cinema EOS C700 has a 4.5K sensor, so we suspect it will match or slightly exceed that resolution. We’ve tried to find out if 6K is an option, but we were unable to.</p>
<p>Canon going to 6K with a Cinema EOS camera at this time doesn’t seem very Canon-esque, but maybe they’ll change the way they do things going forward.</p>
<p>The <a href="https://bhpho.to/2uwkszY">very large price drop on the C300 Mark II down to $9999</a> may be a clue that we’ll have a new camera priced around $15,000 in the coming months.</p>
<p>Canon has <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-developing-8k-cinema-eos-camera-120mp-dslr-8k-display/">shown an 8K  Cinema EOS prototype</a>, but I think it’s safe to say we’re more than a year away from seeing an 8K product from Canon.</p>
<p>The last three paragraphs are opinions of ours, and we hope we’re wrong and Canon pushes the boundaries a bit.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
<div style="font-size:0px;height:0px;line-height:0px;margin:0;padding:0;clear:both"></div>

I can't think for a reason for Canon to release a midres camera. 8K or bust. They want to be ready for 8K for the 2020 Olympics, there is no room there for a 6K camera.

transpo1 said:
The C300II price drop is also a big indication that it so far has not been doing well against the FS7.

The C200 is more of an answer to the FS7. While the Mark II of the FS7 costs the same as the C300 Mark II now.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
Pascal Parvex said:
I can't think for a reason for Canon to release a midres camera. 8K or bust. They want to be ready for 8K for the 2020 Olympics, there is no room there for a 6K camera.

transpo1 said:
The C300II price drop is also a big indication that it so far has not been doing well against the FS7.

The C200 is more of an answer to the FS7. While the Mark II of the FS7 costs the same as the C300 Mark II now.

FS7 seems to be better value however. Best selling point of the C200 besides DPAF is raw light which seems aimed less at doc shooters and more at commercial / narrative folks.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
miketcool said:
If Canon released a 6.5K or 8K camera, Arri would be really felling the heat. RED is launching itself at a blistering speed into the resolution wars. I think we should see something big with the C500 in the coming months. With a new professional facility in Burbank, Canon is ready to push further into the feature film market.

I'm not sure about that- Arri is pretty entrenched in the film industry as DPs have a long history of using their gear. Canon could make some headway in the B-cam arena, however. I'm sure Arri is working on an update to their camera range with native 4K ability.

Upvote 0
I would guess that the 1DC was a bigger bust for the cinema eos line than the C500. Also, the 1DC cemented the idea of Canon intentionally crippling and over pricing their cameras.

I would guess that the C500 II would be an 8K sensor with a 4K internal recording and 8K RAW. It would basically be the current C500 but with 4x the resolution to bring it into the 4K space.

Upvote 0
cpreston said:
Hellish said:
If it has more resolution then the C700 canon will probably cripple a $15-$25k Cinema Camera LUL

Well, the 5ds has twice the resolution of the 1dx ii and that hasn't seemed to kill the market for the 1dx.

I'm not sure if you are trolling or just stupid. The 5DS is missing a TON features vs the 1DX2.

Upvote 0
Hellish said:
cpreston said:
Hellish said:
If it has more resolution then the C700 canon will probably cripple a $15-$25k Cinema Camera LUL

Well, the 5ds has twice the resolution of the 1dx ii and that hasn't seemed to kill the market for the 1dx.

I'm not sure if you are trolling or just stupid. The 5DS is missing a TON features vs the 1DX2.

I am neither trolling or stupid. I am making a point. The single defining feature of a camera is not it's resolution. If that was the case, the iphone would cost more than an Arri. A case could be made that Canon's cinema cameras all have similar feature sets so their price point could be more likely related to their resolution than in differing brands, but Canon has shown that they really don't consider video resolution to be a major part of their sales strategy or pricing. And I'm sure the C700 will offer a number of features not found on the C500 II.

Also, an 8k sensor does not mean it will be marketed as an 8k camera. The C100 and C300 were 4K cameras that were firmly in the 1080p camp.

Canon has been working on an 8k prototype for awhile. Why wouldn't it be the C500 II? Or C800 if that makes people happy. My guess is the next camera will either be the C100 III or a camera with a new 8k sensor.

Upvote 0
cpreston said:
Hellish said:
cpreston said:
Hellish said:

I am neither trolling or stupid. I am making a point. The single defining feature of a camera is not it's resolution. If that was the case, the iphone would cost more than an Arri. A case could be made that Canon's cinema cameras all have similar feature sets so their price point could be more likely related to their resolution than in differing brands, but Canon has shown that they really don't consider video resolution to be a major part of their sales strategy or pricing. And I'm sure the C700 will offer a number of features not found on the C500 II.

Also, an 8k sensor does not mean it will be marketed as an 8k camera. The C100 and C300 were 4K cameras that were firmly in the 1080p camp.

Canon has been working on an 8k prototype for awhile. Why wouldn't it be the C500 II? Or C800 if that makes people happy. My guess is the next camera will either be the C100 III or a camera with a new 8k sensor.

Confirmed stupidity.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
CarlMillerPhoto said:
Canon, just release the C100 mark III already. Take raw out of the C200 and there you go. Keep the current C100 body and just give us touch screen DPAF and internal 4k. TONS of people are actually asking for that. Nobody is asking for a C500 II.

So true. If you keep making cameras like the C300II where you have to continually lower the price by $5-6K, maybe you're not making the right cameras.

Upvote 0