CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
JorritJ said:
In case anyone is interested, I did some speed tests of my own a few weeks ago:

"Write speeds: 5DSR / 5D3 / 7D2, SD / CF / 2x, Lexar 1000x"
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56185044

A special point of note in my tests is that the Lexar 1066x CF cards, offer no practical speed improvement on any of these cameras compared to a Lexar 800x CF card, which is only about 60% of the price.

I'm sorry, but my real world experience does not mirror your results. My Lexar 1066X cards offer a very noticeable advantage over the 800X cards in my Canon 7D Mk II.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
m8547 said:
Someone asked why Canon didn't add UHS-II? Probably because it's still extremely new, and Canon is a conservative and slow moving company. There could also be internal limitations on how fast they can move processed images around. (readout from the CCD is of course very fast by design).

I think its pretty simple. The Camera hardware specifications are set 1-2 years in advance of delivery so that orders for long lead time components can be ordered, circuit board designs completed, and a ton of breadboard testing. Then at least 4 months before delivery and likely longer, the assembly begins. It will ramp up from maybe 10,000 the first month to 35,000 the 3rd month. There are likely 150,000 - 250,000 needed to supply the first 3 months of sales. Once the pipeline is full, sales and production taper off.

That's why a new technology often does not make it in the door. Canon could, of course throw away a few million dollars worth of components and design work to slip in new tech, but then other new tech would be missed.

Sandisk came out with their super fast UHS II in 2014, and Lexar in 2015. http://www.thessdreview.com/our-reviews/lexar-professional-2000x-sdxc-uhs-ii-card-review-64gb/

The 7D II was likely already in production before Sandisk released their UHS-II card. It could have been re-tooled and delayed a few months, but even then, UHS II cards were not generally available.

Nikon jumped the gun by incorporating a XQD card in the D4. Its still the only DSLR to use them (D4 / D4s). I expect that Canon learned from Nikon's error.

Upvote 0