Canon EOS RP w/RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM in stock and ready to ship

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I just got my RP this afternoon (from B&H; when I checked Adorama it was backordered). I like it. It fits beautifully in my hand with the grip extension, vastly superior to my A7 III (I bought an L-bracket for that camera just to get it close to being somewhat comfortable). I've decided that it's not a mirrorless 6D II, though. I think it's far closer to a full-frame M50. Almost everything (menus, AF options, etc.) is the same. At any rate, I got two spare Wasabi batteries and I'm gonna give it a workout in DC tomorrow. It's a nice camera.
Looking forward to hear about your experiences with your new toy.

Upvote 0
I'd like to modify the above statement. I owned a Lumix G9 briefly, and that might have been the most comfortable hand grip on a camera that I've personally used, but the RP makes for one heck of a competitor. I have a 25mm lens for my EM5 II for walking around, but I think I'd rather just use the RP and the adapted Canon 40mm f/2.8. The differences in size and weight are negligible, and the RP is certainly more comfortable than the Olympus, even with the grip I added on to that camera.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
I took a few test shots, using the RF 35 F1.8 lens, and the obligatory first models for a new camera. Yes, that's right, cats. Here's a link the Flickr album. https://flic.kr/s/aHsmwaqbr1 Please note this was for fun, and by no means was it a test of the camera's ability, or my inability. :)

Most of my photos over the last year have been of my house cat, it's too tempting even though he hates it. Most of the remaining photos are shots of lions in South Africa. I guess I just like cats.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Can anyone who has the RP in hand comment on the viewfinder? I’m hoping for some place between the M50 and R, but expecting it is just the M50 viewfinder.
It's been a little bit since I've owned the M50, but it is very similar, if not identical, as far as I can remember. It does react a bit faster, in terms of the time it takes to switch to the EVF once you move your eye there. Faster than the M50, which is a mercy because the M50 was dog slow, but slower than the R/A7 III.

Upvote 0

YnR

Dec 19, 2018
Got mine last night. Adorama forgot to send the grip which I think I’m going to need but otherwise seems like a nice a little setup. The EVF is going to take getting used to and hope the battery holds out but I don’t know if those will actually be an issue for me. Build quality seems nice especially at the price point. Excited to see my images out of this little guy.

Upvote 0
I went to the US Botanic Garden in DC this afternoon. I was using the RP with the adapted EF 24-105 II. Here's the Flickr album with some shots:
Those are all straight out of the camera JPEGs. It performed pretty well. I had one battery die on me kinda early, even in Eco Mode for most of it, but I think it was partially due to me using that battery straight out of the package and not charging it fully. It's difficult to tell with only three bars/no % in the battery life indicator. Good colors, okay performance at higher ISOs. And the grip with the extension continues to fit my hand extraordinarily well. I haven't decided if I'll keep it yet. I have an A7 III, and it's better in many ways, but adapted Canon glass doesn't perform on the Sony as well as it does on the RP. I'll need to figure something out if somebody wants me to shoot a wedding:).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I tried to like that camera but the missing video modes are a big caveat for ME because I wanted to be open to use it for some documentary stuff maybe with 24p. And in germany there is no body only option - only maybe via digitalrev and the difference between EOS RP (~1500) and EOS R (~1950) is marginal if you consider the features. Why body only? - I WANT the CONTROL RING adapter because I want back the functionality of an aperture ring back, missing it severely since I use EF glass. In Germany EOS RP is 1500 EUR with standard adapter which will go into a drawer for the rest of its / my life so it's wasting money and other resources.

Thanks to Scooter and Marximusprime for delivering some photos and remarks about the EOS RP - after watching too many videos about the "shiny surface" or "spec lists" of the RP it's good to see some remarks of people who have really used the camera.

Upvote 0