Canon France Denies Large Sensor Compacts

Status
Not open for further replies.

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
So the leaked 70D camera spec which has overall (for once) received rather positive comment on this fine site incurs the displeasure of Canon where as the volume of negative comments about other product yields no comment? mmmmmmm bless their little cotton socks, ya gotta love them.

There is a rather good Glasgow saying which would be appropriate…… perhaps not ;D

As for loosing jobs I’m sure we can all think of a whole department at Canon that needs looking at!

Upvote 0

WoodyWindy

On the road again!
Jul 20, 2010
thepancakeman said:
J.R. said:
Canon Rumors said:
As such, we apologize to anyone that may have been affected in a negative way by yesterdays posts.

I don't understand this. Who are you apologizing to? and why?

Who in god's name would have been affected in a negative way?

Well it's certainly possible that someone lost a job over it, which obviously would not be CR's intent and worth apologizing for. Not saying that anyone SHOULD have lost their jobs, but I know there's plenty of lousy management looking to place blame (for how the leak got out) that such things do happen.

I hope that's not what happened, but if it wasn't part of a buzz plan, I'm sure someone at least got raked over the coals, and it could very well be a "resume altering event".

Upvote 0
Yesterday I completed an online questionnaire for Canon. It focused on cameras for the most part, rather than lenses and other aspects of photography such as printers etc., but the tone drifted off in the latter pages to show a lot of interest in the compact camera arena. Since they asked, I said that I hated my current compact (Fuji F100fd) and that the thing of most interest to me right now would be the Sony RX100 II. Actually, if I could have been bothered to extend my thesis further I might have mentioned the Ricoh GR as well, but they'd had enough out of me by then.

No smoke without fire, methinks. They're definitely asking the questions.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012

Attachments

• canon astrological camera.jpg
    canon astrological camera.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 901
Upvote 0
mrzero said:
It is absolutely ludicrous that Canon would ever be "not happy" with you. The readers on this forum are Canon's core customer base for DSLR and high-end photo gear. Everyone knows the P&S market is declining, so if they want to keep selling cameras, they should be courting US. Listening to all of the free R&D/focus group feedback we put in on a daily basis. Announcing roadmaps (for something other than a $12k pro wildlife zoom lens) so we can plan our financial investments.

If they aren't happy, it must be because they (1) don't have any large-sensor compacts to sell, or (2) they thought they were going to surprise the world (gasp) when they did announce one. I would suggest they worry more about pushing out new products and firmware/feature updates for existing products.

And while I'm grumping, how about [size=18pt]some consistency in the refurb store![/size]

+10(emphasis above is mine). Perhaps there are no large-sensor compacts coming & there is only the 70D-we'll know in a few weeks. If this is the case, they could be mad over this new conjecture stealing some of the thunder of the 70D finally being annouced/released but jesus, can they come to grips with the fact that they can't control all the internet discussions? If this site, along with a few others, start to discuss only company approved information why bother??

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I only hope, Canon will soon present a real new sensor tech far below the 500nm, see below:

"Just don't underestimate the IQ value of those big pixels. You won't get that kind of IQ in a crop body. Even if Canon has made some improvements, and I certainly hope they have (otherwise the 70D IQ will be worse than the 7D IQ), it is unlikely that their 20.2mp APS-C sensor will beat the 6D in terms of IQ. That holds true especially if they have not moved to a new fabrication process...if they stuck with 500nm, then the photodiode area for these pixels will be REALLY SMALL. It would have to be a BSI design in order to make it perform better than the 7D with 500nm transistors (which isn't out of the realm of possibility...just still too early to make the decision to sell a 6D and jump the FF ship just yet, IMO.)"
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=15594.msg285481#msg285481

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.