Canon officially announces the RF 16mm f/2.8 STM and RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM

Marcus550

EOS R5
Sep 15, 2021
I preordered the canon RF85mm f2 from park cameras, stated that it came with a pouch & lens hood, after the preorder phase they removed the fact it came with a lens hood/pouch and mine eventually turned up with no pouch or case so not sure if its just a con to get people to preorder, had loads of broken promises with them, things may have changed now but I wouldn't go on the fact it comes with a pouch/lens hood

Upvote 0
I preordered the canon RF85mm f2 from park cameras, stated that it came with a pouch & lens hood, after the preorder phase they removed the fact it came with a lens hood/pouch and mine eventually turned up with no pouch or case so not sure if its just a con to get people to preorder, had loads of broken promises with them, things may have changed now but I wouldn't go on the fact it comes with a pouch/lens hood
Thanks for the heads up, if I decide to order I will double check, or go with someone else. If any company pulled that though, I'd fight them on it, otherwise they'll get 0 from me and waste money on returns.

Upvote 0

AlP

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2018
Here are the MTFs of the EF 16-35/4L IS (this is the older format, the new one above for the 16/2.8 does not have the curves shown as thin lines below, so only compare the 4 thick lines here to the MTF above. Short version of interpretation is that the center of the frame is on the left and the edges are on the right, and higher lines are better.
Just for fun, here's a comparison with some RF and EF zooms and EF primes.

RF 16 mm MTF.png
Not bad for the price and size, I would say not too bad even without considering the price

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Marcus550

EOS R5
Sep 15, 2021
Thanks for the heads up, if I decide to order I will double check, or go with someone else. If any company pulled that though, I'd fight them on it, otherwise they'll get 0 from me and waste money on returns.
yeh, probably should of as I even screen grabbed it before they removed it but I had 4 different delivery dates, other companies were getting them in stock and shipped out, I only got my earlier than I should of because it took a bad review on trustpilot for them to sort it out so unfortunately I wouldn't use park cameras again, wasn't even fussed about the dates changing just be nice for an email explaining why rather than broken promises.

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2015
Here's the 16mm's MTF. Pretty convenient for Canon to not show MTF@f/8 anymore, isn't it? Of course, what else would you expect from a $300 UWA lens?

Following are full size samples@f/8, f/9, and f/2.8 (too large to attach here):

Ouch -- there is no sharp sand near either frame edge in this 2.8 shot. Oh well, at least it's a beach with nice soft sand to walk on.

Upvote 0