Canon posts significant increase in sales and profit for Q3 2017

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Talys said:
Really? Their smartphone business is doing better? I'm astonished, as I cannot recall seeing a Sony smartphone anywhere other than a Sony Store in eons.
Hi Talys!

I think I've understood something wrong here.
It's the general smartphone business, that's doing better. And the smartphones are one of the biggest customers of Sony imaging sensors.
Conclusion: good smartphone sales -> good Sony sensor sales -> profit for Sony

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Maximilian said:
Talys said:
Really? Their smartphone business is doing better? I'm astonished, as I cannot recall seeing a Sony smartphone anywhere other than a Sony Store in eons.
Hi Talys!

It's the general smartphone business, that's doing better. And the smartphones are one of the biggest customers of Sony imaging sensors.

Yes, Sony is one of the largest smartphone camera sensor suppliers in the world.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
JohanCruyff said:
rrcphoto said:
So yes. dpreview today .. #ItsAllAboutSony

Very good news!
If DPReview doesn't write about the new Sony masterpiece, they have to change their web address to www.DP850DReview.com!

maybe ;)

the D850 is a sweet camera though .. the A7RIII looks pretty nice .. if you can stomach a Sony.

however; the complaint was already raised the last two times that Dpreview did this ; canon's Q2 financials and Canon's video camera releases with a new homegrown 1" DPAF sensor were also skipped. Of course, the same announcements for Sony's financials and video cameras were heralded and written about.

It's curious behavior from a company that continues to act insulted and injured when comments about bias come up.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Talys said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
rrcphoto said:
So yes. dpreview today .. #ItsAllAboutSony

Sony releases it's financials on October 31st. Get prepared to read all about it on dpreview ;)

Sony has turned the corner on selling sensors, so there should be a big percentage profit increase with earthquake damage repaired, and the smartphone business doing better.

As far as camera sales, they are in the same boat as everyone else, trying to figure out how to make a profit while sales decline.

By the way, the +15% on non ILCs with Canon was super-surprising to me. I am very curious as to whether it is Canon thing, or an industry trend.

Nothing to do with Sony phones, its the sensor market that I mentioned. In case you did not know it, Sony sells sensors to smart phone manufacturers in enormous quantities so when smartphone sales drop, sensor sales drop as well.

Sony's sensor sales to smart phone manufacturers is greatly improved this year. They lost a ton of money on sensor sales last year due to the downturn in smartphone sales by all makers.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Maximilian said:
Talys said:
Hi Talys!

Aha! You are absolutely right! I get it now :)

Thanks!

Upvote 0