Canon PowerShot G16 Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2011
RGF said:
Dylan777 said:
Canon doesn't seem to have interest in high-end compact cameras, therefore, Fuji & Sony will cont. leading this area.

I just don't see myself buying Canon compact camera at this time.

Think Canon would add a few hundred dollars to the cost and to create a great compact P&S?

Hope so...would be nice to have a complete Canon from DSLR, mirrorless, and compact.

Upvote 0
verysimplejason said:
The articulated screen is what G12 and G11 makes them very good for normal family outings. I've taken a lot of pictures using my G11 at extraordinary angles. The articulated screen isn't what sets G1X apart from the rest of the G-series. It's the sensor. Canon should restore what has been introduced before for the G series. Besides the optical viewfinder, this articulated screen is what sets it apart from the S series. Actually, I would rather have an articulated screen than an optical viewfinder which doesn't even have any AF point to begin with and too small for an average adult to use comfortably.

I'm not disagreeing, I'm just observing that that is what Canon has decided to do with the lines. I love the articulating screen on the G1 X. But they chose to remove it on the G15 and G16. Thus, the screen and the sensor are both premium features on the G1 X, with the drawbacks being added size, slower lens, worse close-focusing and autofocus. If they add the articulated screen to the G17, people will complain about the added bulk (or, if it remains the same size as the G16, the lack of slimming it down). I doubt they'll do it unless they decide not to replace the G1 X (which is also a possibility).

As for what sets the G series apart from the S1xx series, other than size, I don't know.

Upvote 0
mrzero said:
GDub said:
No articulating LCD--feckin' edjits! I'm keep my G11 until Canon wakes up.

verysimplejason said:
Where's the fully-articulated tilt-screen??????????????????

On the G1 X.

Dekker said:
1/1.7" sensor? What gives? It is 2013. Have they not bothered to strip down a Sony RX100 to learn how to do this properly (I'm not even a Canon-hater, all my DSLR stuff is Canon).

Also the G1 X, with the 1.5" sensor.

Canon is just providing depth in the G series. The G1 X has the screen and the bigger sensor, but it is slower, larger, and more expensive. If you want a smaller and faster, and a little cheaper, you get the G16. There isn't anything wrong with this, although I think that Canon has somewhat orphaned the G1 X. The G2 X will probably get the wifi treatment, maybe GPS, and hopefully the new sensor-AF -- but who knows when. And it will probably still have a slower lens than the smaller G's, based on my understanding of the lens optics.

If the G2X has APS-C sensor from the 70D, a 15mm wide lens (24mm FF Equiv), and a fully articulated touch screen, I'll be there. Otherwise I'm waiting on a EOS-M II or something new from Sony.

Upvote 0
Etienne said:
If the G2X has APS-C sensor from the 70D, a 15mm wide lens (24mm FF Equiv), and a fully articulated touch screen, I'll be there. Otherwise I'm waiting on a EOS-M II or something new from Sony.

That would be quite the spec upgrade. The only thing I expect to see would be the articulated touch screen, maybe the AF sensor but not full APS-C.

Upvote 0
noncho said:
Not a word about the crappy viewfinger, so it will be the same as in G15 - unusable for me
I prefer no viewfinger than unusable.
24mm wide would be nice too, actually for this type of compact camera 24-200 2.8 range on 1/1.7 is better than 28-100 with bigger sensor like RX100.

Yeah, the G15, G1X viewfinders are horrible!

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
RGF said:
Canihaspicture said:
Aglet said:
DesignJinni said:
no GPS? seriously! ???

Zactly what I was just wondering...
Don't want to carry another device to geotag after a WiFi xfer, may as well just shoot the geotagged shot w the tablet.

+1 on the no GPS!!! Why Canon? Why?

Surprised not included. Could it be either size or cost?
Frankly, GPS lock time on my S100 sucks.

Upvote 0
I think this is a fine camera. But not at this price. The Panasonic LX7 has all this except for WiFi and lesser zoom. Though it has a Leica lens and 1-stop faster aperture. For $350. And you can add WiFi to the camera with a SD WiFi card for $90. And at least in image, might be still better than Canon's G16. And you're still $100 less...

Bummer.

Upvote 0
RGF said:
Canihaspicture said:
Aglet said:
DesignJinni said:
no GPS? seriously! ???

Zactly what I was just wondering...
Don't want to carry another device to geotag after a WiFi xfer, may as well just shoot the geotagged shot w the tablet.

+1 on the no GPS!!! Why Canon? Why?

Surprised not included. Could it be either size or cost?

You can add GPS data to the images using your phone's GPS and the CameraWindow app. Much more power efficient and less costly this way.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/CameraWindow_app

Upvote 0

JoeDavid

Unimpressed
Feb 23, 2012
nicke said:
Canon Professional Network has published an in-depth look at the G16, http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/product/cameras/powershot_g16.do.

Canon is really patting themselves on the back in that one. When you take a close look at the two low ISO samples posted on the Canon USA site I doubt many professionals would care for the image quality (or lack of it) of the tiny sensor no matter how fast it can shoot...

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
dpreviews published test shots show its hi ISO is improved over the G11/12 by a considerable amount.
Also, the faster lens makes for slightly shallower depth of field ability.
not yet sure I'd buy one, my G11 still does what I need it for, but the 16 would allow me to do a few more things with it.
.. and a few less w-o the swivel display.

Upvote 0
the G series won't invade into M series aps-c size sensor territory.

it's ironic how us consumers/semi pro's seem to know it all about what canon should do, but canon doesn't seem to care since it sells rebels like starbucks coffee.

it seems like canon just has a metric ton of old tech they need to sell off and will wait until the last moment to make a comeback.

anyway the only thing that caught my eye is the 9.3 FPS, i have no idea how useful the AF system is but that alone would be killer for soccer moms shooting sports.

i'll stick to my OLD kodak Z915 superzoom for point and shoot crap. my 7D still does the real work.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.