Canon PowerShot G9 X Mark III coming relatively soon [CR2]

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
He decided to rent the G5X II from Lensrentals and came over before he got it to practice a bit on mine. He wanted to shoot Raw, but doesn't have (or really need) Photoshop. The rental experience itself went just fine.

I got a message from France that his JPEGs looked great, but the Raw shots had terrible distortion and vignetting. I told him that the JPEGs had profile corrections done in camera, but the Raw ones did not. That would come with his editing software. To be safe, he started shooting Raw+JPEG.

When he got home, he found that piccata or whatever he uses on his PC to edit does not apply lens profiles. He tried downloading the Canon software, but didn't have a serial number. He called Canon customer service and explained the situation (including that he really had wanted to buy the camera), and they gave him a temporary serial number to use for downloads. So he opened Raw files in the software, and lo and behold, the distortion and vignetting were gone. I told him that rather than adding another pound of glass to correct everything, much is now done in software, even in expensive wide-angle lenses.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
He decided to rent the G5X II from Lensrentals and came over before he got it to practice a bit on mine. He wanted to shoot Raw, but doesn't have (or really need) Photoshop. The rental experience itself went just fine.

I got a message from France that his JPEGs looked great, but the Raw shots had terrible distortion and vignetting. I told him that the JPEGs had profile corrections done in camera, but the Raw ones did not. That would come with his editing software. To be safe, he started shooting Raw+JPEG.

When he got home, he found that piccata or whatever he uses on his PC to edit does not apply lens profiles. He tried downloading the Canon software, but didn't have a serial number. He called Canon customer service and explained the situation (including that he really had wanted to buy the camera), and they gave him a temporary serial number to use for downloads. So he opened Raw files in the software, and lo and behold, the distortion and vignetting were gone. I told him that rather than adding another pound of glass to correct everything, much is now done in software, even in expensive wide-angle lenses.
He could have just processed them to JPEGs in the camera :).

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
True, but it sounded like he wasn't taking much advantage of the raw files in the first place.
He wasn’t taking advantage of them during the trip, no. Neither do I, and I shoot only Raw with that camera. I process them in Photoshop when I get home. He doesn’t need Photoshop, but did want some way to edit the Raw files eventually. He was just concerned that however he looked at the Raw files, they looked bad, so he wanted to know whether he was doing something wrong during the trip.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0