Canon Printer Pro 10 B200 Error but can't access the printhead / inks

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Just on the hope someone might be able to help me. My Canon Pro 10 printer had an issue. It's the dreaded B200 error.
I followed the suggestions given here in a previous thread. It was powering off, holding the on key for 30 secs. Then holding the power key and the other key for 30 secs.
Hey presto it worked and it worked for over a year.
The other day I printed a number of photographs, all came out perfectly as they had all year.
Then suddenly the printed returned with the error 10 orange and white flashes. B200 error again.
I repeating the combination used previously and it doesn't work.
The orange light comes on and stays on. If I plug out and plug in it flashes 10 orange and white again.
I can't find any decription anywhere for a constant orange light and no white light on.
The printer carriage is stuck into the right hand site of the printer and there seems to be no way to get it back in the middle to inspect the ink / printer head.
Has anyone got any advice - is there anyway to get the carriage to move out from where it is manually.
I don't see any obvious way. I can't physically pull it (either with or without power in it). I can't find a spindle to move that moves the carriage.
As it's useless I've nothing to lose - It's not that obvious how to take it apart. I'm not sure if the plastic covers are screwed, clipped or glued together.
I want to take out the print head and clean it to see if it makes any difference but its inaccessible they way the printer has ended up.

(Rant - it seems ridiculous to me Canon can brick a printer because its detecting an error. The print head may well be worn out / falling apart but it was working just before the error came up. I can accept it telling me there is a problem and me seeing the result as a bad print - but just locking the user completely out of their machine seems very poor from a customer perspective.)

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Printers aren't a very popular topic here. I guess only a small % of photographer print themselves.
In answer to my own query above and for posterity - might help another person who is stuck.
I randomly pressed the feed button 10 times (I think) and the power but ten times just after and the printer came back alive in its start up routine.
I was then able to press the feed button to get the inks out from where they were hiding, remove the inks and take out the print head and give it a check.
I didn't risk cleaning it as I must watch some youtube videos how best to do it.
I gave it a quick dab and put it back in and put the inks back in and its just printed a beautiful 10 x 15 inch print in perfect clarity.

I'm sure the print head is possibly on the way out or clogged up a bit but it can still print but Canon put in error codes that turn the printer into a very heavy brick. We will see how long it keeps printing. I've quite an ink store to run through. Any new Canon printer I buy had a different cartridge (another built in obsolescence). 15ml I think instead of 14ml. No wonder photographers don't print. (It is a nice thing to be able to print your own photos, but its marginal whether its worth it - its a throwback to eighties when electronics was so user-unfriendly and hard to use. I can't understand why they don't make it more idiot proof.

Upvote 0