Canon RF 24-105mm f/2.8L IS USM Z to be announced this week

Aug 10, 2021
Especially real professionals that shoot low-budget weddings in Italy and post under the forum name @Walrus. Clearly, Canon is disappointing a major and important demographic.

I was thinking they have some white camera bodies, maybe Canon should design some lenses to look like tuxedoes? Could wedding people be more likely to hire people with cute wedding themed equipment?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
That Tamron is heck of a lens. I can see why Canon would not want it on RF mount as it would compete, probably very well, with this lens.

But unlike the new RF 24-105 it seems to be a much more targeted lens and if you need it you know you do.
The Tamron is praised because E/Z mount has no 28-70L equivalent.

I would not say Canon don't want it to compete, Canon needs to act up and finish their catalogue asap before the patent period runs out and 3rd parties all in to the RF market.

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2020

I would not say Canon don't want it to compete, Canon needs to act up and finish their catalogue asap before the patent period runs out and 3rd parties all in to the RF market.
I meant that I assume both the RF 24-105 F2.8 and Tamron 35-150 will have very distinct user groups with some obvious overlap. Certainly, there should exist Canon users who would love the Tamron's range. From what I've seen on forums it's less the F2 but the range that draws many wedding or event photographers and many would pick it over any other currently available zoom.

I might be wrong.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Meanwhile I could perform some tests at infinity settings, only to check corner sharpness, since I'll be mostly using the 24-105 for landscapes and travel.
Though the TDP test results didn't impress me at all, speaking of 70 to 105mm corners, I was quite surprised at the corner sharpness. Much much better than expected! Also much much better than the F4 version.
Kudos to Canon for another great lens!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Yep, I agree. This lens is on a new level.

View attachment 213624
But Lightroom Classic not yet, as you also noticed! I get on the upper, right and left borders precisely defined "prismatic" lines when shooting RAW._C4A1475.jpg
PS: the 35 and 50mm settings can almost compete at F5,6 with Leica M lenses...I'd never expected that.
And, mechanically, it also plays in a different league.
The high price is, in my opinion, fully justified!

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
But Lightroom Classic not yet, as you also noticed! I get on the upper, right and left borders precisely defined "prismatic" lines when shooting RAW.View attachment 213627
PS: the 35 and 50mm settings can almost compete at F5,6 with Leica M lenses...I'd never expected that.
And, mechanically, it also plays in a different league.
The high price is, in my opinion, fully justified!
I was not expecting it to be close to Leica M lenses! Another lens I hadn't been eager to buy and suddenly...

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA

Patent duration in Japan is 20 years. US patents are 17 years, but US will recognize international patents up to 20 years. I think they still have some time... :unsure:

Upvote 0