Compact camera options?

I've been in a bit of a rut photography wise, since the beginning of Covid in 2020 really. My current setup is as follows:
Canon 7Dii
Tokina 11-20 f2.8
Canon 24-105 f4 L
Canon 70-200 f2.8ii
Canon ef-s24mm f2.8 pancake
Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake

After a lot of searching and thinking, at least some of the blocks I feel I have are the size and weight. Usually I'll carry the 11-20 and 24-105 around, with the 24-105 being on the camera 90% of the time. The pancakes I aquired for some wider but lightweight options if I go out with the telephoto.

My new job is mostly based out in the countryside and so I would like to take this new camera either in a cargo trousers pocket, or my work bag.

My budget would be up to £600 including lenses, but I would much prefer to spend in the £350-£450 range.
Size, small, small enough its not in the way when walking around villages in Cornwall, or exploring manor houses, and a weight that it doesn't feel fatiguing to carry like my current setup. It would mainly be used for holiday photos and landscape work, keeping the 7D etc for motorsport and airshows.

I've considered the following:
G7X - I found my finger had to reach over the mode dial to get to the shutter button, likewise one of the pansonic offerings.
Sony A6000/A6300 etc. Felt good, interchangable lenses, but a little over budget.
Fuji XE3 - Too expensive. But looks great, good specs, easy to connect to phone for transfer to instagram which appeals
Fuji X100 series - Fixed lens is off putting for flexibility, but its a great size and just feels nice to use. Budget means only older models could be considered, with specs lacking a little.
Canon M50/M5/M6 etc - Easy to fit to my existing lenses, but then not that small even with a pancake lens after an adaptor is used.

I've toyed with a proper compact camera, but I'm wondering if there is so much compromise on image quality, that I may as well just use a phone?

Can anyone offer any advice, or thoughts on options I did not consider? Many thanks.

Last edited:

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I've been in a bit of a rut photography wise, since the beginning of Covid in 2020 really. My current setup is as follows:
Canon 7Dii
Tokina 11-20 f2.8
Canon 24-105 f4 L
Canon 70-200 f2.8ii
Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake

After a lot of searching and thinking, at least some of the blocks I feel I have are the size and weight. Usually I'll carry the 11-20 and 24-105 around, with the 24-105 being on the camera 90% of the time. The pancakes I aquired for some wider but lightweight options if I go out with the telephoto.

My new job is mostly based out in the countryside and so I would like to take this new camera either in a cargo trousers pocket, or my work bag.

My budget would be up to £600 including lenses, but I would much prefer to spend in the £350-£450 range.
Size, small, small enough its not in the way when walking around villages in Cornwall, or exploring manor houses, and a weight that it doesn't feel fatiguing to carry like my current setup. It would mainly be used for holiday photos and landscape work, keeping the 7D etc for motorsport and airshows.

G7X - I found my finger had to reach over the mode dial to get to the shutter button, likewise one of the pansonic offerings.
Sony A6000/A6300 etc. Felt good, interchangable lenses, but a little over budget.
Fuji XE3 - Too expensive. But looks great, good specs, easy to connect to phone for transfer to instagram which appeals
Fuji X100 series - Fixed lens is off putting for flexibility, but its a great size and just feels nice to use. Budget means only older models could be considered, with specs lacking a little.
Canon M50/M5/M6 etc - Easy to fit to my existing lenses, but then not that small even with a pancake lens after an adaptor is used.

I've toyed with a proper compact camera, but I'm wondering if there is so much compromise on image quality, that I may as well just use a phone?

Can anyone offer any advice, or thoughts on options I did not consider? Many thanks.
Get yourself a used G1XIII for about £500. At a new price of £1100 they are expensive but it is a superb photographers camera. Small and light enough to fit in a jacket pocket or cargo pants and gives stellar IQ, that’s not much different from a FF and expensive lens when used at low ISO.
Don’t be fooled by some reviews that said lens is soft; it isn’t.
If you insist on buying new only and spend up to £500 I think you’ll be disappointed compared with what you are used to.

Upvote 0
Get yourself a used G1XIII for about £500. At a new price of £1100 they are expensive but it is a superb photographers camera. Small and light enough to fit in a jacket pocket or cargo pants and gives stellar IQ, that’s not much different from a FF and expensive lens when used at low ISO.
Don’t be fooled by some reviews that said lens is soft; it isn’t.
If you insist on buying new only and spend up to £500 I think you’ll be disappointed compared with what you are used to.
Interesting. I hadn't considered a G1Xiii. Specs, size and appearance all look good. Happy to look at used in good condition, as I had already concluded I wouldn't get anything comparably good. Struggling to find any G1Xiii for £500, whether in stores or even ebay at the moment.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Interesting. I hadn't considered a G1Xiii. Specs, size and appearance all look good. Happy to look at used in good condition, as I had already concluded I wouldn't get anything comparably good. Struggling to find any G1Xiii for £500, whether in stores or even ebay at the moment.
Hmmm...that's disappointing. A while back there were a few about around that price, now they seem to have gone up in price. Clearly a sign that they are beginning to be appreciated ! ;)
Keep a look out, I can't believe that they are flavour of the month, being a "point & shoot"; a bargain may turn up.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
My 2 ct, but don't know, if they work for you:
With the same question I considered P&S, bridge cameras and something else, but I wanted a DSLR.
I ended up with a 200D/SL2 body - the smallest DSLR body from Canon. Today you have the 250D/SL3.
I use it together with the two pancakes and the 85/1.8 (or alternatively the 18-55 STM) in just a small holster bag together with two spare batteries and cards.
A really small kit with good low light lenses.
If I need tele in addition I take the 55-250 STM, which is better than many think and can be used even with insects. But that one doesn't fit into the holster anymore.

This is my usual kit for travel/vacation trips.
Used on the beach and on the skiing slope as well.
Only thing slightly annoying is the old 9 dot diamond AF.

But the kit is already packed for my next trip to Greece :cool:

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I just sold my R5 due to its size along with the weight of the big L lenses. I decided to try a R50. Its really no bigger than my SL2 was and fits in a coat pocket. I use my old EF and EF-s lenses and a adapter as well as a couple of consumer RF lenses. I'm pretty sure that you could sell some of your larger lenses for the small and light RF lenses or adapt your 24 and 40mm lenses. I bought a used EF-s 15-85mm lens and adapted it. I've been using it for most uses. If at some point a similar RF lens comes out, I'll consider it. I have a 17mm, RF 35, and RF 24-240 as well as EF100mmL, EF 50mm Macro, probably a couple of others that I've forgot. I also have a whole slew of OM lenses that can be adapted.
I've only had the camera a short time, my big fingers keep changing the shutter to high speed so I get surprised by the machinegun effect too often. I haven't checked for a way to turn that off.

Upvote 0
Canon 7Dii
Tokina 11-20 f2.8
Canon 24-105 f4 L
Canon 70-200 f2.8ii
Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake

Power Warriors Mod APK is one of the most popular anime simulation games today. Now available on the https://getmodnow.com/power-warriors-mod-apk.html website The game is inspired by the famous manga and cartoon Dragon Ball.
Sony RX100: Compact camera with good image quality. You can buy old models to match the bank.

Canon EOS M100: Lightweight mirrorless camera with good image quality. Combine with a lens kit or a pancake lens for a more compact movement.

Panasonic Lumix GX85: Micro 4/3 mirrorless camera with compact design. Image quality is good and can be combined with many other lenses.

Olympus PEN E-PL series: Lightweight and stylish design. Offers good image quality at a reasonable price.

Fujifilm X70: Miniature camera with APS-C sensor. Great photo quality despite no lens change.

Upvote 0