Corrupt images from 6D camera and 32GB SDHC Memory cards

Hi all,

As the original poster to this topic, I am adding an update to the thread of my recent experiences.

I contacted Lexar again about the problem with the replacement card I received, and though they offered no advice, they offered to simply replace the card all over again for me. I think the adage, "fool me once, shame on them. Fool me twice, shame on me" is appropriate. Needless to say I did not ask for a replacement.

I have been shooting with a different SD memory card in my 6D for weeks now, a cheaper Transcend 8GB SDHC class 10 memory card, and have had no issues with image corruption or anything of the sort. This leads me to suspect that Lexar memory cards may be the problem.

Second, I was contacted by another Canon 6D user directly by email, and she reported the exact same issues with her Lexar card. She even got her 6D camera replaced. She reported that switching to a Sandisk Extreme card seems to prevent the image corruption issues from reoccuring, for now.

Finally, I contacted Canon support to ask them about this problem, and one interesting piece of information the support agent said was that Canon does not test their cameras with Lexar cards. They test with Sandisk, Panasonic and another brand I can't recall. I don't know if this is true given how ubiquitous Lexar memory cards are, but I take it at face value.

Based on these observations, I can only hypothesize that my Canon 6D camera, and that of some others, is INCOMPATIBLE with LEXAR 32GB SDHC Class 10 memory cards.

Unless Canon develops some kind of firmware update, or if Lexar changes something about their cards, I will not be buying LEXAR cards in future for my Canon cameras.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
cheefster said:
Hi all,

As the original poster to this topic, I am adding an update to the thread of my recent experiences.

I contacted Lexar again about the problem with the replacement card I received, and though they offered no advice, they offered to simply replace the card all over again for me. I think the adage, "fool me once, shame on them. Fool me twice, shame on me" is appropriate. Needless to say I did not ask for a replacement.

Based on these observations, I can only hypothesize that my Canon 6D camera, and that of some others, is INCOMPATIBLE with LEXAR 32GB SDHC Class 10 memory cards.

Unless Canon develops some kind of firmware update, or if Lexar changes something about their cards, I will not be buying LEXAR cards in future for my Canon cameras.

You would make a great scientist. With millions of Lexar cards out there and several years worth of 6D users using them, Your evidence says they don't work?

Then, you refused a replacement because that might spoil your theory?

I'm sorry that they did not work for you, I've seen similar posts from Sandisk users.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
cheefster said:
Hi all,

You would make a great scientist. With millions of Lexar cards out there and several years worth of 6D users using them, Your evidence says they don't work?

I'm sorry that they did not work for you, I've seen similar posts from Sandisk users.

Hello "Mt. Spokane Photography",

Thank you for pointing out that the statements I have made are not in any way scientific. I do not in any way wish to claim that my hypothesis is scientific, far from. I'm not claiming to make any new theories. The sample size is far too small. They are observational in nature, and I can only say that they may be affecting some users like myself. I do not have the resources, nor the interest, to do statistically sound sampling of this issue. I can only hope that by raising the issue in this forum, others may come forward if they also have this issue. It is far from proven that the issues is systemic. I am not pushing one brand over any other, as I have no vested interest in any of the companies. I have a Lexar CF card in my 7D, and I have never experienced such issues with that camera/card combination.

I did not choose to go through the SD card replacement process (again). As I have already done it once and found it to be somewhat of a hassle to get another card that did not work, I choose not to do so again.

That being said, I can only choose for myself not to buy Lexar cards unless there is stronger reassurances that this might not reoccur again. If the evidence is in fact that 99% of other Canon 6D and Lexar 32 GB SDHC Class 10 memory card users are not having any issue at all, then I stand corrected and fully accept that my issue may be an unfortunate outlier.

Such data may be difficult to come by. Nonetheless, I would welcome any information about testing that has been done. As I had previously said, the Canon rep told me over the phone, they don't test their 6D cameras for compatibility with Lexar cards.

Respectfully,
cheefster

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
cheefster said:
Hi all,

One caveat in his defence as rare as the event maybe its even rarer that manufacturers admit to having a problem. By way on an example Im on my forth Jawbone Up if you listen to Jawbone they dont have any issues if you do even basic internet searches the problems Im having are common and all software related.

It seems he is happy with his own replacement, no one died and Lexar will have no issue selling their products.

Upvote 0
To the original poster,

I also have had issues w/ my Lexar card in my 6D. This is the MFR# LSD32GCRBNA600. Do you have the same one? I actually have stopped using this card because the number of errors was just too high. I have various other memory cards that have no issues, so this is the only outlier and I think of this card as my last-resort card (if I were ever to fill all of my cards up).

I'm disappointed because I viewed Lexar as good as Sandisk, but no more. Anyway, I got the card pretty cheap so it's not a huge loss, but rest assured I will never get another memory card from them.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Mr X said:
Same exact problem here. In my case it's also a 6D with a 32GB SDHC 600X Lexar bought in B&H last December. For each 100 shots aproximately 5 are corupted, with banding. No more Lexars for me. I see in this forum it's a common issue.
I think that you see a very few with the issue, out of a huge number who don't have issues. Do you really want to wade thru 10,000 posts from those who have no issues? I've had 24 or more Lexar Cards, and a equal number of cards none have failed. A problem is extremely unusual.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
cheefster said:
cheefster said:
Hi all,

Hello "Mt. Spokane Photography",

Thank you for pointing out that the statements I have made are not in any way scientific. I do not in any way wish to claim that my hypothesis is scientific, far from. I'm not claiming to make any new theories. The sample size is far too small. They are observational in nature, and I can only say that they may be affecting some users like myself. I do not have the resources, nor the interest, to do statistically sound sampling of this issue. I can only hope that by raising the issue in this forum, others may come forward if they also have this issue. It is far from proven that the issues is systemic. I am not pushing one brand over any other, as I have no vested interest in any of the companies. I have a Lexar CF card in my 7D, and I have never experienced such issues with that camera/card combination.

I did not choose to go through the SD card replacement process (again). As I have already done it once and found it to be somewhat of a hassle to get another card that did not work, I choose not to do so again.

That being said, I can only choose for myself not to buy Lexar cards unless there is stronger reassurances that this might not reoccur again. If the evidence is in fact that 99% of other Canon 6D and Lexar 32 GB SDHC Class 10 memory card users are not having any issue at all, then I stand corrected and fully accept that my issue may be an unfortunate outlier.

Such data may be difficult to come by. Nonetheless, I would welcome any information about testing that has been done. As I had previously said, the Canon rep told me over the phone, they don't test their 6D cameras for compatibility with Lexar cards.

Respectfully,
cheefster
Assuming it was a card problem, If they had a problem with a specific batch maybe the replacement card would be OK, then again maybe not. Since you continue having problems and they offered a free replacement you had nothing to lose (only to gain) from this.

Upvote 0
I did use no name SDXC card without any issue with the 6D.
Now, I am using a Sandisk SDXC 64Gb Extreme and I am very satisfied. Fast and no issues.

I can just say that I ALWAYS format any card I put in ANY camera before use. I believe each camera may have some particularities and this is taken in account if the card is formatted in this camera.

Upvote 0