Digital Photo Pro maxes out my i7 CPU

RBS

Feb 6, 2020
The 1DX III files and likely the R5 files put a lot more processing load on the system than previous cameras.

I have 1DX, 1DX II, and 1DX III models and the 1DX III files are clearly significantly more processor intensive. I am using a HP Z 840 workstation with twin Xeon 6 core 3.4 Ghz CPUs with 256 GB of ram per CPU. Maximum processor load peaks briefly at 30-34% before staying in the low 20% range until processing is finished in a few seconds. DPP and the image files are run from a HP Z turbo solid state drive plugged into the PCI bus.

It is disappointing that DPP still takes little advantage of the Nvida Cuda cores. This system has a pair of Nvidia Quadro 4000 workstation cards with 1,664 Cuda cores per card and GPU loading stays at 3% or below with most of that used by other system processes. The Nvidia monitor shows that DPP is running on the GPU but it is doing pretty much nothing with it. Hopefully Canon's software supplier addresses that in the future.

I have tried using Canon's cloud noise reduction but it doesn't seem to produce any better/different results than I get with the DPP local process and it isn't any faster. It is likely more useful on systems with less available resources.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
The 1DX III files and likely the R5 files put a lot more processing load on the system than previous cameras.

I have 1DX, 1DX II, and 1DX III models and the 1DX III files are clearly significantly more processor intensive. I am using a HP Z 840 workstation with twin Xeon 6 core 3.4 Ghz CPUs with 256 GB of ram per CPU. Maximum processor load peaks briefly at 30-34% before staying in the low 20% range until processing is finished in a few seconds. DPP and the image files are run from a HP Z turbo solid state drive plugged into the PCI bus.

It is disappointing that DPP still takes little advantage of the Nvida Cuda cores. This system has a pair of Nvidia Quadro 4000 workstation cards with 1,664 Cuda cores per card and GPU loading stays at 3% or below with most of that used by other system processes. The Nvidia monitor shows that DPP is running on the GPU but it is doing pretty much nothing with it. Hopefully Canon's software supplier addresses that in the future.

I have tried using Canon's cloud noise reduction but it doesn't seem to produce any better/different results than I get with the DPP local process and it isn't any faster. It is likely more useful on systems with less available resources.
I absolutely concur with this. Canon 1DX Mark III are killing DPP on my top of the line MacBook Pro.
I had no issues with the 1DX and the 5DMark IV files.

Upvote 0

RBS

Feb 6, 2020
I keep DLO turned off in the bodies and it is the last thing I apply before converting the RAW file. But even without using DLO at all, the 1DX III processing is much slower. I just made identical noise reduction slider settings on two RAW files shot during HS football last fall at ISO 25,600; one with the 1DX III/EF 400 f2.8 and one with the 1DX II EF 70-200 f2.8. DLO was disabled in both bodies and not turned on for the file prior to noise reduction. The 1DX III file was finished in 9 seconds, the 1DX II in 5.

The 1DX III files are cleaner than the 1DX II regardless of glass used so I am not complaining. The extra few seconds are worth it.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
My older system does peg CPU out when opening a raw cr3 image in DPP. It goes back to zero after about 5 seconds.

Lightroom jumps to 50% cpu but immediately goes back down.

I’m used to around a 30-45 second processing time per photo with a RAW files from my existing cameras. Not blazing fast, but definitely workable for my needs.

Then, I decided I would download some files from the R5 just to see what that camera was capable of. And how long did one of those files take to process? ......... Almost two MINUTES. Yeah.

Upvote 0