DPR releases 1DX Mark III review

1DX Mark III review up at DPR.

"Key takeaways:

• Class leading dynamic range when using the mechanical shutter; more flexible files than those from Nikon's D5 or Sony's a9 II
  • Using the fully electronic shutter reduces the camera's dynamic range such that it falls between the Nikon D5 and Sony a9 II
  • The 1D X Mark III isn't entirely ISO invariant, but boosting an ISO 400 exposure by four stops looks about the same as native ISO 6400"

Last edited:
92% and a Gold Award. I think that's the highest rating DPR has ever given. Funny how things change. The new story line is "Canon the Comeback Kid" so they'll be lots of Canon love going around all over the web for a while. Just how these things go. Tough week to be a diehard Sony troll. They just can't catch a break. So sad. :rolleyes: I think Sony has a new Playstation out later this year so they do have that to look forward to.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
It is interesting how fashion changes. I suspect that DPR rewards novelty as much as anything else. They really want new things they can report on, and use as comparison points with other (especially older) cameras and brands. That tends to get in the way of their overall assessments on things such as: 'how good a camera is it to take pictures with?'. They are also obsessed with video specs, and they seemed to like that very much in the new 1DX. As they likely will (do - but under an NDA at the moment) in the R5.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Hopefully their reviews of the R5 and R6 (which presumably they have had for some time) will be of this quality.
Yes, but it may also take 5 or 6 months after the announcement. DPR does not do reviews on preproduction cameras, they get one when the production models are released, and they don't necessarily get one of the first either.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0