DRones vs. anti-DRones: how to resolve the controversy

Marsu42 said:
Don Haines said:
.... but the reality is that there is very little of the picture where this extended range would have made a difference and in the end, you probably could not notice the difference.

Here's an example of this from today, the sky was clipped, but after some brushing around in LR it doesn't matter since it was all grey anyway (well, bluish grey). I call the shot "Thinking of DR discussions" :->

Other end of the horse would have been more appropriate.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Marsu42 said:
Don Haines said:
.... but the reality is that there is very little of the picture where this extended range would have made a difference and in the end, you probably could not notice the difference.

Here's an example of this from today, the sky was clipped, but after some brushing around in LR it doesn't matter since it was all grey anyway (well, bluish grey). I call the shot "Thinking of DR discussions" :->

He may have been saying "goodbye Jon". It appears that jrista has left the building...

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Don Haines said:
I was using the picture as an example where the software detects clipping, yet the image is perfectly fine. My bet is that if my camera had a half stop more DR, that I would not have gotten clipping....

Your camera could have had 20 more stops of DR and you would have had the same clipping. That clipping is based on the rendering of the raw image into Melissa RGB (ProPhoto primary colors with an SRGB tone curve). Since the tone curve is fixed, more raw DR would make no difference to the clipping warnings when they are generated in this fashion.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Lee Jay said:
Don Haines said:
I was using the picture as an example where the software detects clipping, yet the image is perfectly fine. My bet is that if my camera had a half stop more DR, that I would not have gotten clipping....

Your camera could have had 20 more stops of DR and you would have had the same clipping. That clipping is based on the rendering of the raw image into Melissa RGB (ProPhoto primary colors with an SRGB tone curve). Since the tone curve is fixed, more raw DR would make no difference to the clipping warnings when they are generated in this fashion.
Good to know! Thanks.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
jrista said:
(BTW, the only way to stop getting notified in the new replies list of your activity in threads is to delete yourself entirely from those threads (in case anyone was curious)...

Or Profile > Modify Profile > Notifications, tick the checkbox(es) then click Unnotify.

EDIT: in retrospect, I think you meant the new replies list (link at top right), not actual notifications. Sorry for the confusion.

Upvote 0
tcmatthews said:
I do not thing it will be easy to resolve. There are a few issues that will keep this alive until Canon beats all other sensors or joins them. I do not think that Canon will go out of business. They will swallow their pride and put a Sony Sensor in a DSLR before Canon will go bankrupt.

• Human Nature people hate admitting their wrong.
  • Pig headed stubbornness of people that cannot see another point of view.
  • The people that are never satisfied no matter how good their gear is.
  • Trolls Trolls TROLLS will you stop feeding the TROLLS ALREADY.
The above list will be complaining about something until the end of all internet forums.

I wish that DR did not bleed into other discussion and ruin them. The 7D II discussions for example.

I am pragmatically in the more DR camp. The real issue is the read noise. DR was not something I ever noticed until I bought my Nex6 but the read noise is much more noticeable.

I cannot use my Sony for what I do with my Canon cameras. I cannot use my 6D or 60D for what I do with my Nex6. I am not going to drop all my Canon gear and buy a Nikon the ergonomics are a crime against humanity.

Lets face it a Sony Camera + Meta-bones adapters really means who needs auto focus. Because it is so slow you will be manual focusing most of the time. That is what I like about the Nex6 it forces my to slow down and compose my shot. But that is not for everyone.
+1000000000000000000000000000000000

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
jrista said:
brad-man said:
Marsu42 said:
Don Haines said:

He may have been saying "goodbye Jon". It appears that jrista has left the building...

Nope, not gone. Just extracting myself entirely from the debate...all debates. I honestly don't know what I'm debating for, it's done nothing for me, the response from this community has clearly indicated they don't want me involved. So, I'm not. I've got better things to do. (BTW, the only way to stop getting notified in the new replies list of your activity in threads is to delete yourself entirely from those threads (in case anyone was curious)...therefor, this post will be deleted at the end of the day.)

I hope you reconsider removing yourself from all debates/discussions. You are one of the more knowledgeable and helpful participants on this forum and have much to offer. Just give the sensor argument a rest...at least until the 5DlV is released :)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
ewg963 said:
tcmatthews said:
I do not thing it will be easy to resolve. There are a few issues that will keep this alive until Canon beats all other sensors or joins them. I do not think that Canon will go out of business. They will swallow their pride and put a Sony Sensor in a DSLR before Canon will go bankrupt.

• Human Nature people hate admitting their wrong.
  • Pig headed stubbornness of people that cannot see another point of view.
  • The people that are never satisfied no matter how good their gear is.
  • Trolls Trolls TROLLS will you stop feeding the TROLLS ALREADY.
The above list will be complaining about something until the end of all internet forums.

I wish that DR did not bleed into other discussion and ruin them. The 7D II discussions for example.

I am pragmatically in the more DR camp. The real issue is the read noise. DR was not something I ever noticed until I bought my Nex6 but the read noise is much more noticeable.

I cannot use my Sony for what I do with my Canon cameras. I cannot use my 6D or 60D for what I do with my Nex6. I am not going to drop all my Canon gear and buy a Nikon the ergonomics are a crime against humanity.

Lets face it a Sony Camera + Meta-bones adapters really means who needs auto focus. Because it is so slow you will be manual focusing most of the time. That is what I like about the Nex6 it forces my to slow down and compose my shot. But that is not for everyone.
+1000000000000000000000000000000000

Why on earth do you both think Canon will put a Sony sensor in one of their FF cameras? They do not feel they are 'behind' in sensor tech, in many of the metrics used to measure sensors they aren't.

We all love car analogies here, and we love to pull them apart even more, but what you are saying is similar to saying this years Ford doesn't have the top in class BHP figures, even though it does have the best MPG, towing capacity, torque figures, and the best sales record, because of this next year Ford will have to use a GMC engine. Get real.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
brad-man said:
jrista said:
brad-man said:
Marsu42 said:
Don Haines said:

Nope, not gone. Just extracting myself entirely from the debate...all debates. I honestly don't know what I'm debating for, it's done nothing for me, the response from this community has clearly indicated they don't want me involved. So, I'm not. I've got better things to do. (BTW, the only way to stop getting notified in the new replies list of your activity in threads is to delete yourself entirely from those threads (in case anyone was curious)...therefor, this post will be deleted at the end of the day.)

I hope you reconsider removing yourself from all debates/discussions. You are one of the more knowledgeable and helpful participants on this forum and have much to offer. Just give the sensor argument a rest...at least until the 5DlV is released :)

Don't worry, he is as prolific as ever.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=20664

And I agree, the place would be poorer without him.

Upvote 0