Easy-access photo backpack?

Dec 12, 2012
Tons of great ideas and discussion. Experience-based impressions with the Kenti (or any of the bags mentioned in this thread) are much appreciated. Thanks, everyone!

Perhaps I should have mentioned, but additional (even separate) storage for non-photo gear would actually be a benefit for me. That's one of the reasons I've been looking at a lot of camping/hiking style packs, since they're built around that use case. I'm glad that bags designed more specifically for photo gear exist, and I might get one and store non-photo gear in the main padded compartment, but a split design may work better for my needs depending on the design.

From Lowepro, the Protactic 350 and 450 look like possibilities due to the many access options. The tacticool appearance is a bit unfortunate, but at least they don't totally look like your typical boxy camera bag.

@coz, re: front camera harness, I'm a Peak Design user, and I have their attachment anchors, clips, and leashes. I'll likely be doing what you suggest, but with their gear. Good point though!

Lastly, I just realized that when I don't have my laptop in a laptop sleeve, I can always use it for collapsed reflectors/diffusers. Dumb! :-X

Edit: This Thule bag seems closer to what I'm going for. Definitely rocking the hipster/urbanite vibe here! :p

http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/products/sleeves-and-cases/camera-bags-and-cases/camera-backpacks/thule-covert-dslr-rolltop-backpack-_-tl_85854231190

EDIT2: Can't trust their measurements though. Apparently their Perspectiv Daypack has a larger interior dimension than exterior dimension, and Perspectiv Backpack has zero-thickness walls (inside = outside).

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2012
Alrighty, I think I've about made up my mind. While rear panel access has its benefits and a lot of proponents here, I think the side access style fits my needs better at this time. I've found the following "double side access" bags:

Fstop Kenti
Lowepro Protactic 350 (450 etc.)
Manfrotto 3N1 25 (etc., formerly Kata)
Tamrac Evolution 8 (etc.)
Vivitar DKS 20 (etc.)
Chrome Niko technically counts but there's only a single set of zipper pulls so it doesn't actually give quick access to either side.

If no one knows of other competitors (double side access camera backpacks in roughly this size class), I'm going to pick up a Kenti early next year. I'm just waiting to see if they offer a holiday discount or something. :p

Anyway, thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions!

Upvote 0
curby said:
As a counterpoint, if you have a backpack, take the right shoulder strap off, and rotate the bag to front while standing, the bag will hang diagonally, not horizontally with the side access flap facing up. You could use your hand to hold it horizontal, but then you don't have two hands to manage the zipper/flap/lens change. As neuro pointed out, back panel access gives you a table to work on.

I have the F-Stop Kenti, and when I swing it round to the side it does hang pretty much horizontal - certainly horizontal enough to be very workable.

Coz said:
It is an extremely comfortable pack not only for long airline terminals but also hiking. I've worn it for hours.

Agreed. I've had mine for two or three years now, and to be honest I've been surprised at how comfortable it is and how long I can wear it without getting tired/sore/annoyed.

The only thing about it that isn't quite perfect is that it's not waterproof, so remember to buy the rain cover with it. (Something I learnt this summer is that the rain cover gets in the way a whole lot less than I thought it would. You can still access your stuff with ease - it stretches enough that you can slip it off the side door without the whole thing coming off.)

Upvote 0