Firmware: Canon EOS R6 v1.6.0 now available

Jul 21, 2010
Well considering it’s available on video modes and is a standard on brands like Fuji or Sony, I’d say it’s an issue not having it.
Since Canon has double the market share of Sony and ten times the market share of Fuji, it doesn’t seem to be an issue for Canon. Sounds more like a you problem.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
If you read both this forum and others, it’s actually a heavily requested feature so not just a me problem.
So now it’s a feature request. Mmmmmkay. Canon has shown a willingness to add some features (via firmware or to new bodies) when requested by a sufficient number of users. That suggests your ‘heavily requested feature’…isn’t.

Many people think their desires represent those of a large number of people. The number of people posting on camera-dedicated Internet forums is insignificant compared to the millions of cameras that Canon sells.

Upvote 0
The latest firmware did definitely improve the ibis wobble on my 15-35 greatly.
Can now walk and vlogg and no corner wobbles, nice and smooth.
My one question is why did canon leave the high heat setting out of the r6 firmware?
The r6 overheats too just like the r5 did, though not as fast but still overheats in 4k just the same.
So canon add the high heat setting to the r6 please and get rid of that dam 30 min record limit.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I shall use this as an opportunity to list my feature requests once more:

1. The ability to switch between only single point and face detect focus modes with a custom button. There is a focus mode that can’t be removed and interferes with this.

2. Aperture priority video mode.

3. Remove the 30-minute record limit.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020

1. The ability to switch between only single point and face detect focus modes with a custom button. There is a focus mode that can’t be removed and interferes with this.

Thanks.
It sounds like you believe that you are communicating with Canon. You aren't. This forum is not affiliated with Canon in any way.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2020

Thanks.
I set my * button to switch between single point AF and eye/face detect by disabling the other focus modes. Do you mean the smaller spot focus?

Upvote 0

Thanks.
Yes the ability to switch between single point af and eye detect focus with a custom button is missing on video mode! I use it on my c70 all the time, they have to add it no matter what!

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
It's disgusting that the r6 is deprived of the heat update!! This device is really the brand's black cat!! With the problem of the shoe that breaks! No automatic diaphragm when he does it in full auto! In short, we should make a petition
Since when has the R6 had a problem with overheating? I was under the impressions that this only affected the R5 when shooting 8K...

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK

Try having face detect as your standard AF mode, and map the AF/ON or AEL button to single point.

Or vice versa.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2020
How do you do that, can you explain in more detail?
Go to custom functions menu 3, select customise controls

Set the * button (or whatever button you want to use) to "direct AF method selection".

This makes your * button cycle between AF modes (single point, subject detection, zone AF etc).

Now you need to disable the other focus modes. Go to AF menu 4 "limit AF selection" and turn off the other focus modes, but leave face tracking and single point modes on.

This essentially turns your * button into a toggle between subject and single point AF. I prefer this to specifying an AF-ON button as it lets me control where the camera focuses initially for eye AF (by setting "initial servo AF point for face tracking" to "initial AF pt set for face tracking") , and it means I can still use the AF-ON button for focusing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Pierre Lagarde

Canon, Nikon and So on ...
Aug 4, 2020
France
www.deviantart.com
Go to custom functions menu 3, select customise controls

This essentially turns your * button into a toggle between subject and single point AF. I prefer this to specifying an AF-ON button as it lets me control where the camera focuses initially for eye AF (by setting "initial servo AF point for face tracking" to "initial AF pt set for face tracking") , and it means I can still use the AF-ON button for focusing.
Indeed, and you can also use full auto AF (which is quite efficient most of the time) with people|[anything else] detection and use another button to switch eye detection on and off... As you may know, eye detection is unavailable on persons only if you choose "None" as subjects to detect... it works on human faces with any other option, may it be animals or vehicles...

Upvote 0

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015
It sounds like you believe that you are communicating with Canon. You aren't. This forum is not affiliated with Canon in any way.

well, we all hope canon spies are sent here and taking notes on all our feature wish lists, so that we finally get a camera thats affordable and no one complains about.

Upvote 0