First model shoot...input pls!

Hey guys, I usually do wildlife photography but wanted to try a model shoot, here are some of the results....only natural light and a reflector as I don't own a flash :/

Used a 5dm3, 24-105mm L and 100-400mm L

Any input is greatly appreciated...I m not really happy with the one on the floor

8274826847_6c28ec678d_k.jpg

8274827097_f877bb4396_k.jpg

8275891474_92ddd7918a_k.jpg

From another wildlife photographer. I like the idea of the first and especially the lighting, although it is missing something. I think it could do without the candy sticks spread out around the model, particularly as one is cropped off and a moire dynamic composition could improve it. For me, the second one is cropped too tight to the top of the model's head, so needs a bit more room, again I like the lighting though. Of the three though, the third is the jewel in the crown. The framing is just about right for me and the whole image tells a story, with just the right prominence on her eyes. The lighting and depth of field is also pretty much perfect.

Upvote 0
What's wrong with the top one is that her eyes are dark. The same exact thing is wrong as would be wrong if this were a Great Blue Heron... The sun seems to be facing you, your shadow is behind you. Arthur Morris says to always point your shadow at the bird... had you done this here, it would have helped, or at least had you had her laying with your shadow at least 45 degrees from her, that is, she would be mostly facing the sun. Also, you are shooting from around her feet... this shot works a lot better when shot from directly overhead, or at least farther up. I like the idea, so try it again!!! This time, I am sure you will get it much better, and you will be more satisfied with the results.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies guys, yes I think the one on the floor was positioned wrong, should've been pointing to the sun...I ll do it again without the candy canes. It was just that I climbed up a tree which was a bit dodgy.
Thanks for the appreciation though of the 3rd one, I think that came out well.

Was defo a great experience and I shall pursue that, lots of fun :) and maybe get a flash along the way!

Upvote 0
I also come from a similar background (mainly a wildlife photographer but recently shooting models as well). I agree with others that the second and third images stand out and draw the viewers attention to the right spot.

my advice will be to invest in a small flash and either a wireless transmitter or long wired cable. My reason behind this is to find a way to put catch-lights on the model's eyes. Even when I shoot wildlife, I try to use the sun for that. but a small off-camera flash will work wonders for fill light

Upvote 0