Food pics - help required

Hi All

help required, a friend is opening a restuarant soon and has asked me to take some shots not only of the place and the staff but also of the dishes.

now never having taken foodstuff pictures (other than on my iphone went out eating) I havent a clue what would be the best equipment to use, i currently own

5D Mk3
24-105 f4 lens
430 II flash

50mm F1.4
70-200mm f2.8 II
100mm macro L f2.8
manfotto tripod

what would you recommend from a equipment perspective and any assistance with techniques would be great..

time to go home make lasagne and practice I think !

Cheers
scott

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
It depends on the food. I done a lot of food before and I always use novatron strobes for the power output they have. If you cannot acquire some strobes, you can make due with your 430EX with some creative use of reflectors and bounce cards. The only issue is you will have to keep your Aperture Small and shutter-speed high to get lots of DOF and to prevent ambient adding color casts. This means with a tiny 430EX, you will have to raise your ISOs.

Your question is too broad, we really need to know the genre of food you will be doing.

Upvote 0
Food photography is a specialized art form, and it's as much sculpture as it is photography. Lots of things that taste great on food just don't look at all right on camera -- and that's before you get into things that melt, wilt, or discolor after just a minute or so.

I think the best advice I could offer to you would be to do a lot of experimentation to get the shot staged just the way you want it, then throw away that dish (or hand it to your starving assistant to more properly dispose of) and have the chef plop down a freshly-prepared replacement and immediately press the shutter.

Aside from that, all the usual photographic stuff applies.

As always, it's all about the light, and you're likely going to want something big and directional, like a softbox or a parabolic umbrella, and probably something smaller (bare reflector or reflector with honeycomb grid or snoot or barn doors) for some specular interest. Maybe some rim lighting, too. You can fake a lot with an off-camera hotshoe flash and a reflector if you have to and you're patient and you can tolerate higher ISO settings.

And, of course, pay attention to perspective and depth of field and what's in your background and all the rest. Ideal would be either the 45 or 90 TS-E, but you should be good with what you've got. Reach first for the macro and only go to the others if it doesn't cut the mustard.

Good luck!

Cheers,

b&

Upvote 0
Hi RL

at the moment I dont know the exact menu, I have asked the chef for a dining menu and I will gauge from that the types of dishes he will be producing...he has offered to pay for me to do them however i would rather use the cash to acquire the equipment required such as reflector, cards etc

i imagine the food will the typical french cuisine as he trained at the savoy, I will post menu when I have it

Upvote 0
TrumpetPower! said:
Food photography is a specialized art form, and it's as much sculpture as it is photography. Lots of things that taste great on food just don't look at all right on camera -- and that's before you get into things that melt, wilt, or discolor after just a minute or so.

I think the best advice I could offer to you would be to do a lot of experimentation to get the shot staged just the way you want it, then throw away that dish (or hand it to your starving assistant to more properly dispose of) and have the chef plop down a freshly-prepared replacement and immediately press the shutter.

Aside from that, all the usual photographic stuff applies.

As always, it's all about the light, and you're likely going to want something big and directional, like a softbox or a parabolic umbrella, and probably something smaller (bare reflector or reflector with honeycomb grid or snoot or barn doors) for some specular interest. Maybe some rim lighting, too. You can fake a lot with an off-camera hotshoe flash and a reflector if you have to and you're patient and you can tolerate higher ISO settings.

And, of course, pay attention to perspective and depth of field and what's in your background and all the rest. Ideal would be either the 45 or 90 TS-E, but you should be good with what you've got. Reach first for the macro and only go to the others if it doesn't cut the mustard.

Good luck!

Cheers,

b&

thanks

Upvote 0
Food photography is one of the most challenging forms. I've tried and never done well at it. I've talked with people who do it professionally, and the range of things that are done are startling.

One thing I surely agree with is RL's DOF comment. I see a lot of food pictures with narrow DOFs, and to me it looks awful to see the front of the food look great and the rest of a beautiful entree turn to unfocused mush. However, I think that may be a current style so it may be acceptable.

Just as an example (you can see a lighting setup) here's an interesting video of professionally photographing a burger:

Behind The Scenes McDonald's Burger Photo Shoot

Upvote 0
I think a common setup is this one:

000036-A-Simple-Food-Photography-Set-Up.jpg

2 Lights on the side, some nice background and the food in the middle. You dont have to take umbrellas in fact there is on video from digitalrev showing u how to get a nice "morning mood" effect with really simple acessoires.

This one: Home Studio Setup for 100 Pounds Challenge

Check 7:40 for the effect i described. Nevertheless fun to watch the whole video :p They also have another "how to do product photography" video.

Id go with your 100mm L macro lens but try to not only take "macro style" photos with it.

Id also fake it and prepare the food myself or with help perhaps throw in food coloring to enhance things. For example for ketchup i wouldnt take ketchup only but mix red food coloring with some ketchup to make the color pop more.
Its definitly a very hard task. Ive taken food photos on ocassion on holidays or such for example and they hardly represented "the food i had and wanted to caputre on camera" anytime i looked at the photos again.
And even less it made people think "wow i wanna try that food" *chuckle*
Getting the right color for the food photographed is already very hard imho since our brains have a really detailed food memory. Im quite sure its like that so we can detect unhealthy food easily and dont get sick.

Nevertheless just try your best. Customers usually arent pickey about the food photos in my experience.

Just dont forget to write somwhere in the menu the photo is just an example and the real food may look different. Some people are just assholes and try to make trouble if the food they get doesnt look exactly like in the menu lol. Yes iv experienced that more than once before sadly.

Upvote 0
sandymandy said:
Just dont forget to write somwhere in the menu the photo is just an example and the real food may look different. Some people are just assholes and try to make trouble if the food they get doesnt look exactly like in the menu lol. Yes iv experienced that more than once before sadly.
True, but also make sure you don't go showing 10 jumbo shrimp to make things looks good when you really only get 5 medium with a typical order, not that it's probably your problem directly if they want you to go that direction.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
scotty512 said:
Hi All

help required, a friend is opening a restuarant soon and has asked me to take some shots not only of the place and the staff but also of the dishes.

now never having taken foodstuff pictures (other than on my iphone went out eating) I havent a clue what would be the best equipment to use, i currently own

5D Mk3
24-105 f4 lens
430 II flash

50mm F1.4
70-200mm f2.8 II
100mm macro L f2.8
manfotto tripod

what would you recommend from a equipment perspective and any assistance with techniques would be great..
time to go home make lasagne and practice I think !

Cheers
scott

The photo shoot should be after your breakfast, lunch or dinner. Not before ;D

Upvote 0
Most food photographers use a 50 mm lens with f/1.2, f/1.4 or f/1.8.

Put the camera on a tripod and use a cable release.

Dial in ISO 100 and a aperture from f/2.0 up to f/5.6. Use the exposure compensation to get the best result. Save the files in RAW and use a grey card for the white balance.

Shoot in natural light (maybe now a little bit to cold) or use a studio setup. You can use speedlites in a softbox instead.

Most food photographers shoot in an angle from 45 degree down to the subject.

Use complementary colors in you composition.

Upvote 0
I have often done all the things you are tasked to do as a working professional, so I do know quite a bit about it. Other than advising your friend to hire a really competent professional and then being at the shoot yourself to observe and learn for a possible second opportunity, there is very little you can do to help create consistently first class pictures for your friend, unless you spend about six months practicing first. As others have suggested, your request covers such a broad range of subject matter - interiors, people and/or people with food, and food itself - that giving you any specific advice is really either a "fool's errand" or a full-time job.

As to cameras and lenses, you already have whatever you need if you would be just as creative as you need to be. Hey, just look through that little viewfinder thingy in the back of the camera and observe. Does it look right? Then it is. Lighting is what you need most and need to, above all, learn.

Instead, in an effort to be helpful, I will give you the same advice which served me so well over 30 years ago when the very talented pro I occasionally assisted for gave it to me. Buy, or preferably rent, yourself some very cheap "hot lights" - two or three tungsten halogen powered focusing floods or broad lights (i.e., TotaLights or Mole or Arri true focusing floods or "nook" or broadlights) in the 500 watt range and a couple of small (200 watts) Fresnel lensed focusing spots (sometimes called "midgets" in the industry). You'll need some barndoors for the true floods and perhaps a snoot or two for the spots. For most non-quick-melting food subjects, these lights, plus some B&W foamcore, some c stands, arms with gripheads, a mini boom, clothespins, A-clamps and Mafer clamps and some gaffer tape, a sheet or two of diffusion plastic, maybe a few colored lighting gels, plus 5 or 6 sandbags, will be all you need to do such a job properly. Generally, use reflected (off foamcores or ceilings/walls) or diffused (through plastic sheeting) light for soft lighting effects, the harder direct lighting mostly with the small Fresnel's. Most inexperienced amateurs would wonder if my suggestion sounds so "old school" as to be stupid. Why hotlights when you can also do such a job with flash which seems so much more "modern" and high-tech? Well, there are lots of reasons:
1) The ambient lighting in most quality restaurants is primarily tungsten (for now - until the EPA succeeds in ruining even our nights out to dinner), so that you will have a near color-match balance between your photo lights and the ambient background lighting. Life is simpler this way.
2) You can see exactly what your picture will look like (except for contrast/DR issues) with your own eyes and very quickly adjust and change your lighting until it simply looks good; flash modeling lights are never as effective at previewing your actual pictures for many technical reasons. This concept is true for both the food and the restaurant interiors.
3) Flash (except for truly ridiculously expensive - and not quite as "accurate" - Fresnel-lensed flash units) and other economically feasible lighting sources, like controlled photo fluorescents, just can't duplicate the control and effectiveness of a simple, cheap 200 watt Mole midget Fresnel spot, which makes it possible to make your food go from OK to great looking when you learn how to use it with precision and subtlety.
4) If, when taking your people shots, you don't have enough "shutter speed" with your tungsten, you can add a little supplemental pop to the people with a simple tungsten gelled potable flash unit, which, along with today's higher ISO possibilities, makes this use quite effective.
5) Once you know how best to light things with your tungsten experience, you can later use that knowledge with the harder to use (for this subject matter) flash lighting that you see so often. Or maybe just stick with tungsten. Whatever suits you best.

Last, per what you said in your OP, you don't always need very great depth of field in your shots, especially in your food shots, as, for the past 15 years or so, very narrow depth of field has been the more usual approach, perhaps even originally created out of necessity, but nonetheless still the current norm. Think small. Think mainly out-of-focus.

I hope all this advice helps, but I still think you ought to have your friend hire an experienced and talented pro the first time.

Regards,
David

Upvote 0
I

iris chrome

dafrank said:
I have often done all the things you are tasked to do as a working professional, so I do know quite a bit about it. Other than advising your friend to hire a really competent professional and then being at the shoot yourself to observe and learn for a possible second opportunity, there is very little you can do to help create consistently first class pictures for your friend, unless you spend about six months practicing first. As others have suggested, your request covers such a broad range of subject matter - interiors, people and/or people with food, and food itself - that giving you any specific advice is really either a "fool's errand" or a full-time job.

As to cameras and lenses, you already have whatever you need if you would be just as creative as you need to be. Hey, just look through that little viewfinder thingy in the back of the camera and observe. Does it look right? Then it is. Lighting is what you need most and need to, above all, learn.

Instead, in an effort to be helpful, I will give you the same advice which served me so well over 30 years ago when the very talented pro I occasionally assisted for gave it to me. Buy, or preferably rent, yourself some very cheap "hot lights" - two or three tungsten halogen powered focusing floods or broad lights (i.e., TotaLights or Mole or Arri true focusing floods or "nook" or broadlights) in the 500 watt range and a couple of small (200 watts) Fresnel lensed focusing spots (sometimes called "midgets" in the industry). You'll need some barndoors for the true floods and perhaps a snoot or two for the spots. For most non-quick-melting food subjects, these lights, plus some B&W foamcore, some c stands, arms with gripheads, a mini boom, clothespins, A-clamps and Mafer clamps and some gaffer tape, a sheet or two of diffusion plastic, maybe a few colored lighting gels, plus 5 or 6 sandbags, will be all you need to do such a job properly. Generally, use reflected (off foamcores or ceilings/walls) or diffused (through plastic sheeting) light for soft lighting effects, the harder direct lighting mostly with the small Fresnel's. Most inexperienced amateurs would wonder if my suggestion sounds so "old school" as to be stupid. Why hotlights when you can also do such a job with flash which seems so much more "modern" and high-tech? Well, there are lots of reasons:
1) The ambient lighting in most quality restaurants is primarily tungsten (for now - until the EPA succeeds in ruining even our nights out to dinner), so that you will have a near color-match balance between your photo lights and the ambient background lighting. Life is simpler this way.
2) You can see exactly what your picture will look like (except for contrast/DR issues) with your own eyes and very quickly adjust and change your lighting until it simply looks good; flash modeling lights are never as effective at previewing your actual pictures for many technical reasons. This concept is true for both the food and the restaurant interiors.
3) Flash (except for truly ridiculously expensive - and not quite as "accurate" - Fresnel-lensed flash units) and other economically feasible lighting sources, like controlled photo fluorescents, just can't duplicate the control and effectiveness of a simple, cheap 200 watt Mole midget Fresnel spot, which makes it possible to make your food go from OK to great looking when you learn how to use it with precision and subtlety.
4) If, when taking your people shots, you don't have enough "shutter speed" with your tungsten, you can add a little supplemental pop to the people with a simple tungsten gelled potable flash unit, which, along with today's higher ISO possibilities, makes this use quite effective.
5) Once you know how best to light things with your tungsten experience, you can later use that knowledge with the harder to use (for this subject matter) flash lighting that you see so often. Or maybe just stick with tungsten. Whatever suits you best.

Last, per what you said in your OP, you don't always need very great depth of field in your shots, especially in your food shots, as, for the past 15 years or so, very narrow depth of field has been the more usual approach, perhaps even originally created out of necessity, but nonetheless still the current norm. Think small. Think mainly out-of-focus.

I hope all this advice helps, but I still think you ought to have your friend hire an experienced and talented pro the first time.

Regards,
David

David, just like the OP I also happened to be looking for advice for food and product photography and specially for lighting when I stumbled on this thread and saw your post. Really helpful stuff. Thanks!

Upvote 0
I have assisted with food shots before. We learned a lot and I can tell you right now that based on three days of shooting (back in the '90's in a hot kitchen), David has already described a better method than the things we attempted and he has gone to great lengths to write a credible tutorial. We ate a lot of food and took a lot of pictures and in the end the menu used no pictures. We ended up going with a different design. It was a bust. We did use the pictures for the kitchen prep manual and spec book but they weren't good enough for the menu.

And in the McDonald's video above they used what looked like a medium format camera, not a 35mm. And taking a picture of a single burger is child's play compared to shooting food on a plate!! It's very difficult to get the food to look dimensional and still be have balanced lighting and have all the food colors look appetizing and saturated.

If you want to see some beautiful food shots, look at the ihop menu. That food POPS. Look at many of the restaurant chain websites for their menu to get ideas for food layouts and see if you can pick up clues to how they did the lighting too.

At the very least I think I would set everything up on your own and practice a couple days to see if you can achieve anything acceptable before you waste a lot of time+food and feel disappointed with unexpected failure at the shoot.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
I would also add that if I had a lot of time and resources and a spacious studio, product photography would be fascinating. The effects you can achieve with different types of lighting, light tables, shadows and reflections, snoots, etc really present some amazing challenges and when overcome, the photos can be amazing to look at.

I have a book from a "Pro-Lighting" series that shows the lighting setups for a lot of great effect product shots. Some of it even involves light painting, etc too. It was from 1994 by Hicks and Schultz.

Upvote 0
scotty

plan and talk over with your friend what kind of look and layout he wants...
what dishes he will want shot... look at them and (scout) plan the angle... whats the edge.
hanging out in the kitchen will get you familiar with the foods "architecture" or presentation.
shoot test angles...
you have enough lens and light...
add cts filtration to your flash to balance tungsten... and test the interior for odd light source that
will complicate your light ( merc vapor metal halide and fl ) sometimes even daylight may not be desired...
test and make notes of conditions...
add diffusion like tracing paper... test it.
add beadboard or foam boards to your gear... not foam core.. foam core is NOT white.

be flexible... the chefs dont always build exactly the same thing the same way...
if you need that you need to hire a food stylist....

Upvote 0
Food photography is not easy and specialized equipment is needed to make things truly look professional. But with that being said, you can produce good, usable images if your client/friend is not looking for 1st rate images and just needs something decent to show.

Here are some shots I did for a local restaurant. I don't consider these anywhere near top rate shots, but they worked for their needs. I used a tilt shift lens and two large (30x60") softboxes, two 1300 ws mono lights and a slew of flags and grids. Trying different shadow angles helped produce the depth needed and kept the images from looking too flat. Each type of food was different as far as lighting needs.

Good luck.

_M3_4057_1080px.jpg

_M3_4162_1080px.jpg

_M3_4319_1080px.jpg

20090628DC-166_12x18.jpg

Upvote 0