Fuji About to Launch a Medium Format System?

Efka76 said:
I really doubt whetjer Fuji will invest into MF due to the following:

1) MF market is overcrowded (Hassel, Pentax, Phase One, etc.). The whole worldwide market is 5000 units per year. Companies usually know their customers bu name :)
2) Fuji even does not have FF cameras. Their target customer is mass customer.
3) Very significant investments are required in new glasses and camera R&D.
4) Fuji is loss making or near break even level. Even such company as Canon does not go into MF market as it is very expensive investment.

When Hasselblad came out with their 645 film AF SLR, it was a joint effort with Fuji, and Fuji produced a version of it in Japan under the Fuji name. Fuji made the lenses.

There's a pic here: http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Fujifilm_GX645AF

Hasselblad claimed that it was a Hasselblad design, Fuji claimed that they brought two or three proposals to Hasselblad, Hasselblad chose one and insisted on some minor modifications. The stories on how much of the 'blad camera were made by 'blad differed as well. At the time, it sounded to me as though Fuji was telling the truth, and the 'blad was a Fuji in a new shell. So I'd guess that the current 'blad MF digital is actually manufactured by Fuji. So in (my version of) real life, Fuji already is in the MF digital business.

I reserve the right to be completely dead wrong, of course.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
dolina said:
A medium format x100t uld be perfect for me. My guess is it will be priced between $3,000-5,000

I think you live in a dream world. The film cameras cost close to that! Even the bargain basement 645z costs $6,995 without a lens...........
It costs more because it's an interchangeable lens camera.

Upvote 0