[generic "I'm new here!" post]

E

El_Pickerel

Hey all,

I hail from New Jersey, but I tend to wander around whenever I get the chance. Getting into photography has been a perfect complement for everything I do - I get myself outdoors whenever I can, usually hiking but sometimes kayaking and really doing anything else I can that seems like an adventure. I do missions work with my church when I get a chance, and being primarily a photographer on my most recent trip to Guatemala made it the most powerful one - instead of focusing on one thing (usually construction) I tried to find as much as I could and bring it all back for all to see. I'm on the road more often than I'm not, so my camera lives in my truck and I'm jumping out to get shots whenever I see something promising.

I really got started in earnest when I needed a camera for my second job, couldn't find my old 4MP Kodak thingee, and bought a Powershot SX120is. On that I was really able to get into photography, what with having plenty to learn with manual control over my camera! After that I graduated to a Nikon D5000, since a friend was making the switch to a Canon 7D and sold me his lenses for cheap. Nowadays I shoot a D7000, but my friends I shoot with most often are Canon users and I keep fluent in their equipment even if I don't usually shoot it.

I work with a civil engineering firm in geospatial information technology, and most of my work has me afield. I've taken more photos with this system than I will ever take with anything else, I'm sure:

January 5, 2012 - Welcome to the Machine by El_Pickerel, on Flickr

This is used to take stereoscopic photos every 5-10 meters, when it works. The makers don't really know anything about cameras or optics, so the image quality is usually adequate to make any photographer cry. Usually it's just stuff like purple haze, low contrast, motion blurring, and I swear the thing has the minimum dynamic range physically possible, but here's one of my favourite samples of how bad it is:

08HalfNightVision by El_Pickerel, on Flickr

Anywho, hope to enjoy talking cameras and seeing everyone's photography, especially when it's places that I have not been (yet).

-Pick

Mar 25, 2011
El_Pickerel said:
Haha, I gotcha. One unexpected thing I've learned from photography is how to study! I spend more time studying cameras and bodies than I've ever spent studying for classes! :p

The cameras are tools, but we tend to fixate on them here.

Study how to light and compose. The photographer's skill at visualizing and setting up a image is far more valuable than just the fine tools we all love.

Upvote 0
E

El_Pickerel

Mt Spokane Photography said:
El_Pickerel said:
Haha, I gotcha. One unexpected thing I've learned from photography is how to study! I spend more time studying cameras and bodies than I've ever spent studying for classes! :p

Study how to light and compose. The photographer's skill at visualizing and setting up a image is far more valuable than just the fine tools we all love.

Oh, for sure. The tools have only begun to excite me since I've started learning what I can really use them for. The 1Dx - D4 - D800 - 5Diii is the first major round of announcements coming around since I've started following the rumours sites... the new tech coming out and the thoughts of what I could do with it is quite a ride! I doubt I'll get my hands on any of it soon, but I might preorder or get something on release this year. Tamron 24-70 VC is tempting if the IQ doesn't suffer like their 17-50 VC vs. the non-VC version. Haven't done a preorder since some disappointing video game 5+ years ago, but it'll be worth it for something camera-related. I think I'll use a lens way longer than a video game. :p

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
El_Pickerel said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
El_Pickerel said:

Oh, for sure. The tools have only begun to excite me since I've started learning what I can really use them for. The 1Dx - D4 - D800 - 5Diii is the first major round of announcements coming around since I've started following the rumours sites... the new tech coming out and the thoughts of what I could do with it is quite a ride! I doubt I'll get my hands on any of it soon, but I might preorder or get something on release this year. Tamron 24-70 VC is tempting if the IQ doesn't suffer like their 17-50 VC vs. the non-VC version. Haven't done a preorder since some disappointing video game 5+ years ago, but it'll be worth it for something camera-related. I think I'll use a lens way longer than a video game. :p

Adorama and B&H are pretty reliable with pre-orders, but no one is perfect. If there is a problem, they will fix it. I have learned to never pre-order from Amazon, having been bit twice.

Canon has said they have a large inventory built up, and have production at two factories, so they plan to have bodies in stock much sooner than the 15 months it took for the 5D MK II to be commonly available.

It should not be a big deal to wait.

Upvote 0