Godox launches the V1Pro TTL Li-ion Round Flash

JTP

Nov 1, 2019
In what way? I'm guessing the wireless issue that seems to have plagued all Canon Speedlites within the last few years.
Yeah, you are correct, my friend. In some wedding venues they aren't even usable here in New York when trying to use a couple at a time. Also, I do find them to be quite inconsistent in terms of flash output when using them with our R3's. We just finished up our last wedding for a little bit while we take our month of rest. I've been waiting for this point to begin making changes to our workflow, and soon we'll transition away from the El1's. I'm not sure what our solution will be yet, but we'll begin testing soon.

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
Yeah, you are correct, my friend. In some wedding venues they aren't even usable here in New York when trying to use a couple at a time. Also, I do find them to be quite inconsistent in terms of flash output when using them with our R3's. We just finished up our last wedding for a little bit while we take our month of rest. I've been waiting for this point to begin making changes to our workflow, and soon we'll transition away from the El1's. I'm not sure what our solution will be yet, but we'll begin testing soon.
Definitely a drag!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

JTP

Nov 1, 2019
Definitely a drag!
Yeah it really is. Throughout our years of using Canon equipment I haven't really had any real gripes with any of our gear except for the weight of it, especially when compared to Sony's offerings, however, I am very let down at the performance of the EL1's, and after seeing recent news about Canon potentially not releasing anymore EL1's, I would say it pretty apparent that they know there is issues with them as well. Even looking at the recent reviews on the EL5 from B&H shows that there's an even larger problem going on with Canon's flashes.

Upvote 0
This is great. when I shoot weddings where the subjects are backlit (ceremony exit, speeches) so this solves a lot of problems.

It weigths 466g without battery 580 with.
Dimensions 76x156x124mm

The Godox V1 for comparison is :

420g withough battery, 530g with.
76x197x93mm

V1pro sizes taken from Godox V1pro user manual, V1 sizes taken from web vendors.

This makes the V1pro a candy bar heavier and swole but possibly smaller in overall area?

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
Yeah it really is. Throughout our years of using Canon equipment I haven't really had any real gripes with any of our gear except for the weight of it, especially when compared to Sony's offerings, however, I am very let down at the performance of the EL1's, and after seeing recent news about Canon potentially not releasing anymore EL1's, I would say it pretty apparent that they know there is issues with them as well. Even looking at the recent reviews on the EL5 from B&H shows that there's an even larger problem going on with Canon's flashes.
I was wondering if this was happening with the EL-5. Yikes!

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
This is great. when I shoot weddings where the subjects are backlit (ceremony exit, speeches) so this solves a lot of problems.

Dimensions 76x156x124mm

76x197x93mm

V1pro sizes taken from Godox V1pro user manual, V1 sizes taken from web vendors.

This makes the V1pro a candy bar heavier and swole but possibly smaller in overall area?
Do the V1 Pro specs include the sub-flash? If so, can save some weight and size without that on.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I get the feeling that fixing the RT issues can’t be done in a backward compatible manner. Which would seem a bit ironic, given the new shoe on the EL-5.

Upvote 0
I'd be all about this if Godox would put out a version that uses the new multi-function hot shoe. The V1 has been unreliable on my R6 Mk. II. I've had a lot of momentary disconnects that required power cycling my V1 and sometimes the camera. I think the tapered hot shoe combined with Godox's weaker locking mechanism is what's causing the problem. The flash worked fine on my older Canons.

I wound up getting an EL-5 for on-camera shooting.

Upvote 0
What are the differences between Godox, Canon, and Profoto flashes besides the price?

My main use cases are events and portraits. Currently, I use an EL-1 with a Yongnuo YN-E3-RT II transmitter, and I would ideally like to own 2-3 flashes to cover everything I do.

While looking into different flash systems, I couldn't find a decisive factor that would draw me to one of them. Personally I think build quality & ease of use/user experience are the most important ones. Reading all the comments above, it doesn't seem like Canon is the best flash system to keep investing in, even though I already own an EL-1.

Has anyone had experience with two or more of these systems, and what are your thoughts?

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Ive got two Flashpoint, which are Adorama's re-branded Godox units, speedlights and their multi controller. Not the round ones, but the rectangular ones. Can't recall the model number off the top of my head. I use flash about 2x per year, and these are great for the price for that level of use. I'm sure folks who use them more would benefit from a more costly brand. But for casual users these are nice. RF control too...so no line of sight required.

Brian

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com

Dimensions 76x156x124mm

76x197x93mm

I got mine yesterday, and here are the "in-hand" specs:

Without battery and w/o SU-1: 472g
Without battery + SU-1: 492g
With battery and w/o SU-1: 592g
With battery + SU-1: 612g

The SU-1 is actually quite handy, basically acting as an electronic, adjustable bounce card. I emailed Godox to see what the watt-seconds are, as it's not listed in manual, but I'd say it's equivalent to a pop-up flash on consumer grade cameras. Has more power than I was expecting!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I got mine yesterday, and here are the "in-hand" specs:

Without battery and w/o SU-1: 472g
Without battery + SU-1: 492g
With battery and w/o SU-1: 592g
With battery + SU-1: 612g

The SU-1 is actually quite handy, basically acting as an electronic, adjustable bounce card. I emailed Godox to see what the watt-seconds are, as it's not listed in manual, but I'd say it's equivalent to a pop-up flash on consumer grade cameras. Has more power than I was expecting!
Using an AD200 with remote head (on top of the X2T) brings three times the power of the V1(pro) with at least half weight in hand, and with much better balance compared to a top heavy speedlight; after trying for the first time, I would never ever go back to have a full sized strobe on camera, especially for an entire wedding. 600g on top of a camera puts too much strain on the body at the end of the day.

Upvote 0