Mar 25, 2011
It was a great camera, but due to my age, I just can't get around well enough to use it, my wrists would not hold it with my big lenses. I sold it yesterday. Next are my L Lenses and a ton of accessories. I am undecided about getting a small inexpensive mirrorless body. I have some consumer RF lenses as well as EF lenses that I may keep. My daughter still uses the XTi body I gave her many years ago. It takes better images than my Galaxy S22 Ultra even with the kit lens. I'll probably use my EF 50mm Macro to photograph items I'm selling. Just to see what would happen, I took out the 4GB card put my 125GB CF card into it and it worked. Thats one benefit of CF cards, the old and the new are more compatible. It might hold 100K photos from that camera. I had to dig out my CF reader to download the images, my CF Express reader will not accept CF cards.

I was thinking of getting her a beginner mirrorless camera with a good radio to automatically transfer photos to storage. Is there any such thing? I was wondering about R10 and R50.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Nov 3, 2012
Sorry to hear about that MSP. Is the R5 the problem or the lenses, especially those that are front heavy? For a hike where light weight is critical, I pair my R5 with RF 50/1.8 and 24/1.8 lens. Both are sharp with DXO PureRaw conversions. I took an M3 for a 4 week hike through the Swiss Alps in 2016, but would now take the above kit.
I trust you will remain part of this forum. I have always appreciated your contributions!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It was a great camera, but due to my age, I just can't get around well enough to use it, my wrists would not hold it with my big lenses. I sold it yesterday.
Im so sorry to hear this, Spokane. This is the kind of posts I don't like to give a "thumbs up", but you have to do the best for your situation. Also, from observing your thoughtful posts over the years, you do not come across as someone who would take such a decision without giving it a lot of thought.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I decided to go ahead and get a R50 to replace it. A huge step down, but small and easy to bring along. I have two RF lenses and a host of others that can be adapted. I don't mind adapting lenses the EF lenses work well.
Congrats to your decision and a big bunch of great photos with your new gear.
Again, best health to you.

Upvote 0

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
Hey Mt. Spokane - I've had a number of my fellow senior photographers downsize their gear and all have been impressed with the images they can capture. I've been using an R10 as my travel camera for several months and have decided to stick with the kit lens due to its small size and weight. The images have been great. I've also been trying some carbon fiber tripods to reduce weight.

Prior to buying the R10 I used a 77D for quite a few years as my travel camera and just sent it off with 6 lenses to KEH for recycling. I really liked that 77D, but time marches on!

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
My R50 just now arrived. I charged the battery in camera since I had a PDD charger on my desk from the R5. That took 30 min. I had a UHS II SD card from my R5. The R50 does not support UHS II but the cards are backward compatible so it inserted and formatted fine. I went thru the menus and set it up for wireless download to my PC. I don't have a lens in the house so I need to go out to my studio and get one or 4.

The camera is very small, and my hands are very big. Its a lot like my SL2 as far as size. Operation is easy, I turned off the options for guided help first thing so its very familiar just a lot fewer options. I'll be trying it out in a few minutes as soon as I get a lens.20230421_124744.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I tried the camera out, it works as expected, its supposed to be spring but the only flowers in bloom are crocus. There are some daffodils getting ready to open and rhubarb is popping up. Just like last year, its a late spring.

I put my RF 35mm f/1.8 Macro on to snap the first shots. All 9 of them were in perfect focus and the exposure was reasonable, a couple were about 1 stop underexposed. I boosted the saturation so the greens were bright.

eos r50 first shots (6 of 9)-4096 to Downloads-2.jpg

eos r50 first shots (8 of 9)-4096 to Downloads-2.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I tried the camera out, it works as expected, its supposed to be spring but the only flowers in bloom are crocus. There are some daffodils getting ready to open and rhubarb is popping up. Just like last year, its a late spring.

I put my RF 35mm f/1.8 Macro on to snap the first shots. All 9 of them were in perfect focus and the exposure was reasonable, a couple were about 1 stop underexposed. I boosted the saturation so the greens were bright.
Sounds like this camera works for you.
Or is the size to hand size a big issue to you?

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013

Sorry to hear you have had to let go of your RF but I hope the R50 works out for you! If you end up not being happy with it though, perhaps you might consider a Sony A7C or A7IV with a few of the Samyang "tiny series" lenses (AF 18 f/2.8, AF 24 f/1.8, AF 35 f/1.8, AF 45 f/1.8, AF 75 f/1.8)? Not sure if you have already considered this option, or how you would feel about the weight of the A7C or A7IV, but if the weight of the body is OK, you would have full frame and the "tiny series" lenses really are small and light (eg see https://www.samyanglens.com/en/about/notice-view.php?seq=1000). There are a number of other options too which aren't a whole lot heavier, such as the Sony 20 f/1.8, Sony 35 f/1.8, Sony Zeiss 55 f/1.8 and the Sigma i-series lenses (https://www.sigma-global.com/en/special/i-series/).

I appreciate you have been a long-time Canon shooter but given you are looking for a small and light set up, I thought the Sony gear was worth mentioning.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Sorry to hear you have had to let go of your RF but I hope the R50 works out for you! If you end up not being happy with it though, perhaps you might consider a Sony A7C or A7IV with a few of the Samyang "tiny series" lenses (AF 18 f/2.8, AF 24 f/1.8, AF 35 f/1.8, AF 45 f/1.8, AF 75 f/1.8)? Not sure if you have already considered this option, or how you would feel about the weight of the A7C or A7IV, but if the weight of the body is OK, you would have full frame and the "tiny series" lenses really are small and light (eg see https://www.samyanglens.com/en/about/notice-view.php?seq=1000). There are a number of other options too which aren't a whole lot heavier, such as the Sony 20 f/1.8, Sony 35 f/1.8, Sony Zeiss 55 f/1.8 and the Sigma i-series lenses (https://www.sigma-global.com/en/special/i-series/).

I appreciate you have been a long-time Canon shooter but given you are looking for a small and light set up, I thought the Sony gear was worth mentioning.
I have a huge quantity of Canon accessories and many lenses, plus I'm one who grew up watching Sony abandon product after product, or charging crazy fees for repairs. I did not linger long over considering a camera with that burden plus a interface I did not know. The canon touch screen really makes the tiny camera usable for me.

I do have big hands, but I'm not going to be out carrying the camera much, mostly it will be used while bolted to my light table for product photography. I have a literal warehouse full of old cameras and electronic gear that I've collected over 20 years that I want to dispose of. Maybe if it gets warmer, I'll venture outdoors but for now, I tend to stay inside.
The Wi-Fi is a disappointment, I'd have thought they would have improved it by now. Its extremely slow. 2.4 GHZ is not that slow. My R5 had 5 GHZ and the much bigger files flew by as the transferred, the R50 files move like thick syrup. I use raw = jpeg as I did on the R5 but 30 seconds or even a minute for a file is plain frustrating. I have a very good wi-fi signal and, since I'm rural, there is no interference. I may try transferring to my phone and see if that is faster. My phone transfers to my NAS via SMB almost instantly. The NAS transfers them to my PC just as fast, so they are on my PC 2 or 3 seconds after shooting. They bounce around a bit, but it works faster than FTP did on my R5. I compared various ways to get my R5 photos downloaded and ended up using FTP.

I use the UHS !! card from my R5. The R50 is UHS I but the card is backward compatible and seems to work fine.

I ordered a used 15-85 from MBP for arrival this week, I am curious to see how that turns out. I've never dealt with them before.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I ordered a used 15-85 from MBP for arrival this week, I am curious to see how that turns out. I've never dealt with them before.
I've never bought from them. I did buy a used L-bracket for my R8 from KEH (the RRS RP bracket), that was fine but a CNC-machined piece of aluminum is hard to damage.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I have a huge quantity of Canon accessories and many lenses, plus I'm one who grew up watching Sony abandon product after product, or charging crazy fees for repairs. I did not linger long over considering a camera with that burden plus a interface I did not know. The canon touch screen really makes the tiny camera usable for me.

I do have big hands, but I'm not going to be out carrying the camera much, mostly it will be used while bolted to my light table for product photography. I have a literal warehouse full of old cameras and electronic gear that I've collected over 20 years that I want to dispose of. Maybe if it gets warmer, I'll venture outdoors but for now, I tend to stay inside.
The Wi-Fi is a disappointment, I'd have thought they would have improved it by now. Its extremely slow. 2.4 GHZ is not that slow. My R5 had 5 GHZ and the much bigger files flew by as the transferred, the R50 files move like thick syrup. I use raw = jpeg as I did on the R5 but 30 seconds or even a minute for a file is plain frustrating. I have a very good wi-fi signal and, since I'm rural, there is no interference. I may try transferring to my phone and see if that is faster. My phone transfers to my NAS via SMB almost instantly. The NAS transfers them to my PC just as fast, so they are on my PC 2 or 3 seconds after shooting. They bounce around a bit, but it works faster than FTP did on my R5. I compared various ways to get my R5 photos downloaded and ended up using FTP.

I use the UHS !! card from my R5. The R50 is UHS I but the card is backward compatible and seems to work fine.

I've often dealt with them (buying & selling). And was always satisfied with delivery, service and product. The only issue is (in Europe at least) that some of their used lens prices are almost as high ,if not higher, as what you'd pay for new ones. So, better check before buying! This is especially true for sought after lenses, like 24-70 zooms.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I've often dealt with them (buying & selling). And was always satisfied with delivery, service and product. The only issue is (in Europe at least) that some of their used lens prices are almost as high ,if not higher, as what you'd pay for new ones. So, better check before buying! This is especially true for sought after lenses, like 24-70 zooms.
A excellent used one costs $174. B&H wants $699 new. It should be here tomorrow, so I'll see what I get.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
You have taken and produced many very good images and I'm sure you'll continue with the R50.. look forward to seeing them..

and I hear you about the bulk/weight, its not something I lug around daily and at times demotivates me, but it shines in so many ways I can't give up on the R5.

Best of luck in your change of direction and let us know how it goes.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0