Help! 70/200mm f/4 IS OR 70/200mm f/2.8 IS II

what lens should I buy? (don't just vote for the more expensive one)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
wickidwombat said:
daveheinzel said:
You will not question the weight once you start seeing the photos the 2.8 can produce. And it's really not ridiculously heavy.

Build quality - unreal. Mine was dropped (not by me, but I saw it happen) from waist-level onto a very hard floor. No damage whatsoever. That thing is a tank.

I would have cried like a little girl :'(

The world did seem to stop when it happened. I had the lens in my camera bag, which was opened and sitting 'safely' on a table. I was demoing my camera to some high school students, and a student, trying to be helpful, picked up my bag and was going to bring it to me for some unknown reason. When the lens fell... the thud it made was unreal. Everyone kind of froze, and I didn't know how to react. But I tried to not make him feel too awful. Maybe just a little though. :) I tested the lens exhaustively as soon as I was alone, sure something was going to be wrong. I couldn't find anything. It landed on the edge of the front element, in a way that the lens hood, on in reverse for storage, didn't seem to cushion the blow. Probably way more information than any wanted to know, but oh well. :)

Upvote 0
First off, get the 2.8 you'll love it, it is easily my favourite lens. While I nicknamed mine the beast like many others, weight wise I don't find it too bad at all, I can shoot hand-held all day without problem. I've also carried it all day walking around with ease and comfort; I use a BlackRapid RS7 strap and mount it to the tripod ring so it balances nicely when I carry it.

wickidwombat said:
And following the rifle theme shoot the camera like you would shoot a rifle, steady, aim, exhale and halfway through exhaling squeaze the trigger leaving your finger depressed until well after the shot is off, dont snatch at the button beacuse it will introduce shake.

Great analogy, very true.

Upvote 0
briansquibb said:
Jim K said:
I also carry my 100-400 with a BlackRapid RS7. It hangs horizontally on my hip with the strap attached to the tripod ring. This seems to be the way with the less than SuperTele lenses.

I hang the 1D4 + 400F/2.8 off my Black Rapid DR1 with a second body with the 70-200 f/2.8II off the second strap

Good thing you have the 70-200 2.8II on the other side when carrying the 1D4 & 400 f/2.8II. The 400 f/2.8 alone would make you tilt to that side. ;D

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

Jim K said:
briansquibb said:
Jim K said:
I also carry my 100-400 with a BlackRapid RS7. It hangs horizontally on my hip with the strap attached to the tripod ring. This seems to be the way with the less than SuperTele lenses.

I hang the 1D4 + 400F/2.8 off my Black Rapid DR1 with a second body with the 70-200 f/2.8II off the second strap

Good thing you have the 70-200 2.8II on the other side when carrying the 1D4 & 400 f/2.8II. The 400 f/2.8 alone would make you tilt to that side. ;D

If I loosen the strap off I can use the 400 as a walking stick ;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0
C

CanonFanNum1

Nothing new to add here. Just saying I too recently moved from F/4 IS to F/2.8 IS II. Both are great, F/2.8 is worth the price IMO.

I loved the F/4 the whole time I had it (3 years) because of amazing IQ, price and lightness. That will not change.

I now love the F/2.8 IS II because of the incredible "it factor" from the bokeh at 200mm and F/2.8. Do I wish it was lighter? Of course. But the F/2.8 is so worth it.

Simply put... the 70-200 F2.8 IS II is probably the single best lens in the zoom telephoto category hands-down, and a contender for best overall. My opinion of course.

If I had infinite money and infinite storage I would have both. If you can spring to $2K... get the F/2.8 (price is down currently).

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

CanonFanNum1 said:
Nothing new to add here. Just saying I too recently moved from F/4 IS to F/2.8 IS II. Both are great, F/2.8 is worth the price IMO.

I loved the F/4 the whole time I had it (3 years) because of amazing IQ, price and lightness. That will not change.

I now love the F/2.8 IS II because of the incredible "it factor" from the bokeh at 200mm and F/2.8. Do I wish it was lighter? Of course. But the F/2.8 is so worth it.

Simply put... the 70-200 F2.8 IS II is probably the single best lens in the zoom telephoto category hands-down, and a contender for best overall. My opinion of course.

If I had infinite money and infinite storage I would have both. If you can spring to $2K... get the F/2.8 (price is down currently).

+1 f/2.8 is particularly good on the 5DII

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.