Help me decide... New camera for Iceland in Sept

Apr 25, 2015
Hi all,

I have a 2 week trip to Iceland and the Faroe Islands coming up in September. I am looking for a recommendation for a full-frame body. The total size and weight of my photo kit is a concern for me as I travel. For half of my trip I will be driving around Iceland with a rental car and lots of time. For the other half, I will be doing the organized excursion things based out of Reykjavic. I'm also flying to the Faroe Islands for 3 days. All of my photography trips have been via car to National Parks where I can leave stuff in the car until I need it. For this trip, I'll be carrying just about everything. I can leave a suitcase at the airport to hold excess gear/clothes that aren't immediately needed.

I am mostly interested in landscape photography, and I feel ready to get a full-frame camera. My current kit is a 70D, 70-300L, 16-35 F4L IS, and the 18-135 STM kit zoom. I've got an aluminum Manfrotto tripod and a CF Manfrotto Befree. I have been preparing to go full frame for the last year (hence my two L lenses).

I am interested in a full-frame camera for wider angle landscape shots, reduced noise, and (less so) increased DOF.

I am considering a few options:

1) Buy a 6D and keep the 70D. The 6D would have the 16-35 for landscape, and the 70D would have the 70-300 for wildlife, etc. I am concerned that having two cameras will be too bulky and heavy for the amount of travel I'll be doing. I also not too keen on buying a 6D when a mk2 version is likely to come out in a year or so.

2) Travel light and get a EOS M3 with the wide-angle zoom (quite good apparently). I like the M3, but realize it won't have the ultimate IQ of a full-frame. I could still bring the 70D with the 70-300 for birds/etc.

3) Sell my 70D and kit lens (worth about $600 on B&H) and get a 5DS. I can afford this, but I'll have to cut into my racecar budget :) My worry here is that the 6D2 or 5D4 would suit my needs better in the future.

4) Rent a 6D/5D3/5DS for the trip. A 6D would be about $200 and a 5DS would be about $500.

Anyone have wisdom to share?

cid

"light is defining shape"
Nov 27, 2012
500px.com
It depends what are your needs.

You mentioned that you need to carry all your things in backpack with you. I have no idea if you will carry also tent, sleeping bag etc. or how much are you able to carry and still be comfortable but I strongly reccomend to go as light as possible - of course without missing anything essential.

If I were you I would take FF camera with me. 5ds is still not yet available so let's concentrate on 6d - I think it's great value and also it's lightest Canon FF camera in lineup. If you don't plan any action shots this should be your primary camera.

About lenses - I think the choice of 16-35 and 70-300 is great - leave 18-135 home. If you plan to do some astro shots then rent some fast prime (i.e. 24mm f/1.4)

Upvote 0
My thoughts would be to get the 6D, it's the best Canon sensor (apart from the 1Dx). Use that with the 16-35 for the landscapes. It's better to have two bodies in case one fails plus constant changing of lenses allows more dust into the camera body not something you want when shooting landscapes at f16. They both use the same battery. If you don't have a few filters like graduated ND, polariser then look into that.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
MintChocs said:
My thoughts would be to get the 6D, it's the best Canon sensor (apart from the 1Dx). Use that with the 16-35 for the landscapes. It's better to have two bodies in case one fails plus constant changing of lenses allows more dust into the camera body not something you want when shooting landscapes at f16. They both use the same battery. If you don't have a few filters like graduated ND, polariser then look into that.
+1. Carrying 2 camera bodies with lenses is heavier but at the same time very convenient (I am talking from experience 1 month ago...)

Upvote 0