Help needed with Sigma 14mm F1.8

Was very excited to get the Sigma 14mm F1.8 Art for Astro landscapes. I am positive that I will get this aspect going and with the right post processing might even get proficient at it. BUT. daytime landscapes etc. I found this lens very difficult to use. I went to the Richtersveld national park here in South Africa and tried my hand at it. Unfortunately the light was very harsh this time of year but I tried anyway. Please comment and critique to your hearts content as I am an absolute amateur and need to learn how to use this lens. All help will be appreciated.

Flare is a huge problem for me. The lens is so wide and bulbous that if you try and shield it the shield almost always ends up in the shot.

Attachments

• Sig14-1.jpg
    Sig14-1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 155
  • Sig14-3.jpg
    Sig14-3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 153
  • Sig14-13.jpg
    Sig14-13.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 151
  • Sig14-15.jpg
    Sig14-15.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 147

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I think these are very good; you seem to be getting the hang of it quickly! The only one that I'd look harder at is Sg14-3, the portrait oriented shot of the rock structure. I find the out of focus area at the bottom to be a bit unpleasant, distracting from an otherwise nice shot. I might crop that part out.

Could you please comment on the AF in situations a little more challenging than landscapes? Say some quick still-lifes or more photojournalistic with people involved? Is it consistent? Accurate? Thanks!

Upvote 0
I really do not think these are good at all. What I had in mind is in no way reflected in these photos. Thank you for being kind but I really need some more critique to understand what I can improve on. In Sig14-3 there is a lot of flare/glare that I am trying to show. And yes, the out of focus area is really distracting.

I have not used the 14 in any challenging af situations yet. I will try and shoot some people this weekend but if I struggle so much with landscapes I think it is going to be a disaster :)
edit: Sig14-3 maybe not such a good example of flare as the sun is virtually in frame. But the sun shining on the lens from almost any angle but from behind is troublesome.

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2013
Composition of UWA photos is always a challenge, but your problem seems to be harsh uninteresting light. Try a BW conversion, which can do wonders with some mid-day shots. Also, focus stack can be required even for extreme wide angle lenses. I have done the "camera on ground" and "camera on tree-trunk pointing upwards" with the APS-C equivalent FL (8 mm) on the Sigma 8-16mm lens. Extreme foreground sharpness may require focus stacking, with maybe 5 shots ranging from "minimum focus" and "infinity focus", then a little work in photoshop or other editor. And look for a little unpredictable element - my favorite from the "camera on tree-trunk pointing upwards" series that I shot years ago was the one where a bald eagle flew 30 to 50 feet above the treetop into the frame.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I have found it prone to flare but it's very bulbous and wide angle so on a sunny day what can it do. I've found no problem focusing but again the depth of field at 14mm is deep. I haven't got an opportunity to fully test it for Astro yet but it's looks promising. It's not a lightweight lens. For landscapes the 16-35 or 11-24 are more flexible. For me it's an Astro lens.

Upvote 0
@Hector . I agree, mostly an astro lens. Will keep it for that. But it might serve as a landscape lens on the 80D. 22mm or so equivalence?
@ Larsskv . I knew none were going to be great when I set of on this trip. And when I took them some looked to be great. Only to get back home and see it on the computer screen (27"). What a let down:)
I took a few fotos with leading lines (tracks etc.) but they led to nowhere with the objective they were leading to dissapearing in the distance.....14mm is really wide when not used to it.

Upvote 0

ND

Apr 23, 2015
It's a tough focal length to work with- but it's likely just time of day you are shooting and composition that got in the way for you. Wide angles always have issues with flare (since they take in so much view), but I have not found this one to be any worse than others for flare. You really have to think completely different when trying to compose that wide.

I bought the lens and am quite happy with it, but I have no intention of using it in daylight.
This is an exclusively astro lens for me. It might be sharper than my 16-35, but the daylight scenes I shoot would only be diminished at 14mm, outside of some rare exceptions.

16-35 on full frame is wide enough for me in the daylight hours.
Canon L zooms dawn till dusk, and Sigma Art primes at night works for me.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I don't have your particular lens. I have the Tamron 15-30. That South African desert could be twins with the entire state of Nevada where I live in the USA.

I completely understand what you are dealing with. A lens that wide really does flatten a landscape when the terrain is so wide open and it will make mountains look many miles away and make them look small. Since I live in the small desert town of Mesquite (yup, that town), I've put my Tamron away for now until I move to the Dallas / Fort Worth area of Texas in the spring. There just isn't a whole lot that I can do around here with that lens that I couldn't do better with a narrower field of view. I've tried and tried.

Here are some links for you, and there are many more places on the net with tips. Hope you have some luck!

https://www.digitalrev.com/article/8-tips-for-shooting-ultra-wide-angle-lenses

https://www.digitalphotomentor.com/5-mistakes-beginners-make-using-a-wide-angle-lens-and-how-to-avoid-them/

Upvote 0