How many batteries

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
If I'm shooting on location with a model, I bring one spare battery for my 5D3 and I can't think of a time when I've had to use the spare.

If I'm shooting an event or on vacation where things aren't predictable, I bring two spares and typically change out the battery after around 1,200 clicks.

I've been quite happy with Wasabi batteries, but I prefer to use them with the Canon chargers due to their higher amp rating and therefore quicker charging.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
sanj said:
You visiting just for a day... If I were you, I would take one charged battery and leave the charger and second battery at home. Serious.

I have serious for you, how about taking a super cheap unreliable card as well? That way you could either have battery or file issues. Really though, what's so bad about some insurance by taking a 2nd battery. They are tiny.

Take two, call me in the morning.

Upvote 0
Jack56 said:
In Summer I hope to visit an island for a day and I think I will shoot a lot (raw). Do you think two batteries will do or is it better to buy another one?
how many batteries have you got?

I've only got one for each body. I started on film and it made me right miser on the shutter.. 2015 I shot about 5000 frames, last year with my new 6D I am only up to 3000 frames, but my hit rate's gone up.

I've and adjusted the camera settings on my 6D so the image isn't automatically displayed on the rear screen after every shot. If you have any skill at all you don't need to review every frame.. that alone will substantially improve your battery life. It also gets your head out of your camera a bit more.

Of course if you live view everything (landscape etc) then bets are off, and I'd want as much battery as possible.

Upvote 0
I think two genuine batteries should be more than enough, unless you use Live View or shoot video. I currently have four (two from the 5D3 and two from the 5Ds), one each genuine and generic - and the non-Canon ones don't do nearly as well, even though they're rated to the same specs.

More than two, it can get harder to keep track of which ones you've charged, depending on how organised you are.

Upvote 0
Probably late to the party here... again, but I have a 5D3 and three Canon batteries. Having gone on multiday hikes, I've never gone through more than two batteries. So I think with two fully charged batteries, you'll be more than alright for a single day.... unless you'll be shooting a lot of video, in which case it might be wise to have a third battery just in case.

Upvote 0
scyrene said:
More than two, it can get harder to keep track of which ones you've charged, depending on how organised you are.

The battery covers have a great battery management built in. Depending on the orientation of the cover on the battery, you can either see blue (full) or black (empty) through the battery-shaped hole. Unless you change batteries "just to be sure" when they are half full and want to continue using them later, this should be idiot-proof.

Upvote 0
I currently have 2 Canon LP-E6N batteries for my 5DsR and 2 if fine. The only time in the past year that I was down to less than 50% on my spare was during our vacation to Hawaii on a day when I was shooting quite a bit of birds in flight. Normally, I almost never need to use my spare battery for day outings.

For my M5, I currently have 2 LP-E17's and that probably is not enough. I'm still learning the camera, but I got well into my spare during a day outing in December and was getting nervous to the point I was limiting my shooting somewhat.

The answer for the OP will depend on their shooting style, but I think for most people 2-3 batteries will be enough for a DSLR.

Upvote 0