HOW TO SHOOT THE BIG CANON ( CANNON)

jdavidse

R5
CR Pro
Sep 13, 2012
surapon said:
Well, Dear Friends.
May be I load these Photos in the wrong Topic, Because I miss spell CANON from CANNON---Ha, Ha, Ha.
Well, BTW, I use my dear canon 5D MK II with Canon EF 600 mm with Monopod---Forgive me---Please.
Enjoy.
Have a happy new year 2015.
Surapon
Yes, In this Battle of Bentonville, North Carolina, USA. The lost of our Brave men---This Battlefield of American Civil War = from March 19, to March 21, 1865, General Joseph Jonston's Troup Launched Their Last offensive attack on the federals, = 80,000 Heros were dead, , and 60,000 of this heros were Union soldiers ( infor. from, Mr.Jerry Devine, The NC. chapter of Sons of Union Veterans).

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/03/04/1899760_civil-war-history-near-goldsboro.html?rh=1

PS, Here are the Link that have more Photos

share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AZM2bNq1cuWjTAA

share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AZM2bNq1cuWjTIg

Very nice however as a Civil War nut I feel compelled to point out some things:

Bentonville was fought between about 80,000 men total, with 60k being Union. Total casualties were over 4,000, with around 440 of those being dead, not 80,000 dead! To put that number in perspective:

Gettysburg was the largest battle of the civil war, which engaged 160,000 men on both sides with 8-10 thousand killed on both sides.
The Battle of the Bulge during WWII is the US Army's largest battle in their history, which engaged over 600,000 Americans with 19,000 killed.

Sorry to nitpick but I believe it's very important to understand the Civil War. Great photos, I wish I was there!

Upvote 0

Old Sarge

CR Pro
Nov 6, 2012
I have visited several battle grounds from the War Between the States. Shortly after I retired my wife and I visited the Stones River battlefield. That was one of the bloodiest of battles during the was though it isn't as famous as many. After visiting friends in East Tennessee we went over to South Carolina and started at Columbia and followed Sherman's famous march in reverse, visiting Columbia, Rivers Bridge, Charleston, then north through
Savannah to Atlanta with a couple of stops along the way. A sad time in our nation's history.

Our visits are usually during weekdays so we don't see many reenactments or cannon firing. Did see some young folks fire one of the cannons at Vicksburg one year. I often visit Vicksburg if I am in the area since one of my ancestor's fought there with the 42nd Alabama. For some strange reason, probably a streak of hardheadedness common to the males in my family, he refused parole and was imprisoned at Camp Morton in Indiana, I believe.

I really enjoyed these pictures and it makes me want to visit some battle grounds in North Carolina.

Upvote 0
you-have-a-nikon-i-have-a-camera.jpg

Upvote 0