I doubt this is even [CR1] but I guess it starts somewhere - 7D3 specs?

Feb 12, 2014
Phil Lowe said:
CanoKnight said:
A 1.4x on top of a 1.6x is Canon's middle finger to the video community.

The D500 has a 15x crop on top of a 1.5x crop for 4K video. It's great for long lenses and wildlife. Not so much for anything else. Having noted that, people who complain about the crop on a 5D MkIV have never tried to shoot 4K video on a Nikon. Any Nikon. It's like having your nuts in a vice while someone is pulling out your fingernails. Not fun at all.

Video is definitely one area where Canon beats Nikon with an ugly stick.

If you are serious about shooting video on an ILC you would not be using either of them. There are far superior options out there, both Sony and Panasonic kick the snot out of Canikon in that department.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
ethanz said:
markjsmccall said:
This causes me some intense agony.
I have had a faithful 70D for four years. Recently its started to break down. As a little bit of prspective ot has been my first DSLR and has been my constant companion. It has taken me fro shooting in full auto with crap composition to getting my first two shots published in Athletics Weekly last month. I shoot a lot of sports and action. It has approx 110k shots on the shutter.

I was hoping it would survive until early next year when the next gen 90D/7dmkIII would be out and i could potentially move up a rung to the 7D line or stick with the 90D. Unfortunately this week i have had contant Error 80 errors that i cant fix plus the mount is starting to work loose (I hang a 70-200 of it most of the time) and the mode dial dropped off this morning.

I know have to decide what camera to get. Do i get a 70D/80D second hand to keep going until the 7D3 or do i just go for the 7D2 which i would also love but will be out of date next year.

Your suggestion of a used body sounds like a good idea until the 7D3 is out. But just take heed, only Canon knows when the 7D3 will be out, so you might be waiting a while. As in, it could be late 2018 or even into 2019...

7D3 will be out in 2018, most likely it will be the flagship for the Digic 8 processors.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
Talys said:
Likelihood of 7DMkIII not having dual pixel autofocus is zero. There is no recent Canon DSLR from Rebel to 5D series without it. It is a best in class, differentiating technology between Canon and competitors, and it doesn't matter that most people who buy these will prefer OVF for most of their shots.

Now that 6DMk2 has an articulating screen, I think that the chances of the next 7D not having one is extremely low, with the main question being how they resolve left side buttons.

Actually, the latest Sony focusing system outperforms it. They claim to have the fastest sensor based AF system now. Since Sony's going forward will use the new system on their higher end cameras from the RX100s and up, the idea that PDAF is best in class in not relevant anymore. That is a talking point from the past now.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Tugela said:
Talys said:
Likelihood of 7DMkIII not having dual pixel autofocus is zero. There is no recent Canon DSLR from Rebel to 5D series without it. It is a best in class, differentiating technology between Canon and competitors, and it doesn't matter that most people who buy these will prefer OVF for most of their shots.

Now that 6DMk2 has an articulating screen, I think that the chances of the next 7D not having one is extremely low, with the main question being how they resolve left side buttons.

Actually, the latest Sony focusing system outperforms it. They claim to have the fastest sensor based AF system now. Since Sony's going forward will use the new system on their higher end cameras from the RX100s and up, the idea that PDAF is best in class in not relevant anymore. That is a talking point from the past now.

The RX100 is one of their higher end range?

I would hope the focussing on Sony A9 does outperform a Canon at less than 1/3 of the price. But as Canon and Nikon have both shown, having 'the same' focussing system as the top end camera, and having them perform the same are completely different matters. I'll believe it when I see it.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Camerajah said:
http://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?PageNum=0&docid=09773827

After having a quick look at the above Canon patent for BSI sensor that includes a plurality of pixels arranged under micro lens, that can be MOS or CCD.

A 30mp EOS 7D Mark III is not looking to far fetch at all.
I have had a quick look at the patent. Please explain to me how it is related to 30mp 7D Mk III sensor not being far fetched?

Upvote 0
Camerajah said:
http://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?PageNum=0&docid=09773827

After having a quick look at the above Canon patent for BSI sensor that includes a plurality of pixels arranged under micro lens, that can be MOS or CCD.

A 30mp EOS 7D Mark III is not looking to far fetch at all.
These are far, far too recent (by an order of several years) to have anything to do with a 7D3, if the 7D3 is to be released next year. Patents filed in this time frame won't be seen in a retail product until 2021-2022, if at all. (Reminder: the vast majority of patents that manufacturers file do not result in a public product at all, and most do not even get fully prototyped.) You're literally years early.

Upvote 0
The 7Dmk 2 is terrific for sports and birds. Removing the AA filter and goosing a 1.6cropped sensor to 30 megapixels will kill this camera. The camera is pretty near perfect for its use. First rate auto focus that reliably captures birds in flight and current megapixel is perfect for sports and birding use. Could use a little boost in dynamic range similar to sensor in 80D. Also it would help to have flip screen.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Anyone can say whatever they like and it is supposed to compete with Nikon D500 so:

20 better Mpixels (In reality I believe it will be 24)
12 fps
better DR at low ISO (like 80D or a little better)
better at high ISO
Touch screen
WiFi (in addition to GPS)
Nothing else is missing and to me much I read seems like nonsense (30Mp, no AA filter, etc)

Upvote 0