I held a Canon 1Dx! Only sample in country, 100% LEGIT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scottsdaleriots

I am super tired and exhausted had less than 4hrs sleep last night/early hrs this morning. Had 8.30am class. Anyways at our 3hr we had someone from canon come down. she had a protype/sample of the 1Dx. I HELD IT IN MY HANDS!! long stpory short we only had a few secs each with it. she said it's the only one in australia. i took a pic of the front to prove it. someone bogan stole my phone so i have to use my old school phone and will upload later if i can smms someone who can then upload it here. it was attached to a battery grip with no CF card.

time to relax. it looks sweet

S

scottsdaleriots

cps_user said:
of course the 1dx doesn't have a battery grip. Believe me, I've had one in my hands for about half an hour last monday ;).

I could probably have managed to put a cf card in (had one with me) and take some pictures on it since no one was around, but hey, who cares ;).

the 24-70 was there too. Nice lens.
unless the 1Dx is a huge camera, this one i held did. or a battery pack, same thing. whatever im sleep deprived and have had a really long day.

niccyboy said:
attached to a grip? You sure? You sure it wasn't just the shape of the camera?

Did you get to shoot with it?
im pretty sure it was, sure it had a battery pack on it. it was bigger than my 7d. i havent held a 1D series camera so maybe it was the camera? i dunno.

the availability for the camera and the new 24-70, 24 and 28 lenses (for australia) were;
1Dx and 24-70mm 2.8 II - April
24mm IS and 28mm IS - June

maybe some 5d replacement news as well? pretty vague though. when asked about the new 5d the canon rep replied "i dont know when there will be a new 5D" i was expecting her to say 5dmkiii, so maybe there will be a 'split' of the 5d line.

i wanted to open up the sides panel to see the dual card slots but had very limited time. she (Canon rep) told us not to put a card in. it's very rugged and weather sealed. i glanced over the buttons, button layout has a nice aesthetic look to it. if i recall properly (my memory is fuzzy) its like the 7d's layour a bit, with the button options on the side. it's lighter than what i expected. the woman was there for less than 30 mins, she had a meeting with the national newspaper, most likely going to be interviewed about the camera.

i wont post the pic til tomorrow coz i've got a few more important things to do. i think i have to mms someone, get them to email me the pic so i can download the pic from my ipad and upload it here. my old school literally had no memory didnt have my P&S with me so i had to delete some stuff on my phone to take 1 pic. might have to use PS to brighten up the pic so you can see the "x" properly.

Upvote 0
D

D.Sim

scottsdaleriots said:
cps_user said:
of course the 1dx doesn't have a battery grip. Believe me, I've had one in my hands for about half an hour last monday ;).

I could probably have managed to put a cf card in (had one with me) and take some pictures on it since no one was around, but hey, who cares ;).

the 24-70 was there too. Nice lens.

unless the 1Dx is a huge camera,

Its a huge camera

this one i held did. or a battery pack, same thing.

not quite the same, the 1 series have always had the bigger body with an integrated vertical grip...

whatever im sleep deprived and have had a really long day.

niccyboy said:

im pretty sure it was, sure it had a battery pack on it. it was bigger than my 7d. i havent held a 1D series camera so maybe it was the camera? i dunno.

the availability for the camera and the new 24-70, 24 and 28 lenses (for australia) were;
1Dx and 24-70mm 2.8 II - April
24mm IS and 28mm IS - June

maybe some 5d replacement news as well? pretty vague though. when asked about the new 5d the canon rep replied "i dont know when there will be a new 5D" i was expecting her to say 5dmkiii, so maybe there will be a 'split' of the 5d line.

i wanted to open up the sides panel to see the dual card slots but had very limited time. she (Canon rep) told us not to put a card in. it's very rugged and weather sealed. i glanced over the buttons, button layout has a nice aesthetic look to it. if i recall properly (my memory is fuzzy) its like the 7d's layour a bit, with the button options on the side. it's lighter than what i expected. the woman was there for less than 30 mins, she had a meeting with the national newspaper, most likely going to be interviewed about the camera.

i wont post the pic til tomorrow coz i've got a few more important things to do. i think i have to mms someone, get them to email me the pic so i can download the pic from my ipad and upload it here. my old school literally had no memory didnt have my P&S with me so i had to delete some stuff on my phone to take 1 pic. might have to use PS to brighten up the pic so you can see the "x" properly.

Just what is a Canon rep doing at a school displaying a 1Dx just before going to meet a national newspaper?

Upvote 0
D

D.Sim

Z said:
Admittedly, this is rude... but who cares? People have been holding pre-production 1D X models for months, videos are all over the internet. This may have been exciting for you, but won't be waiting with bated breath for the dark, noisy photo of what may or may not be a 1D X from your phone. ???

theres that... but if it was a 5DX instead.... totally different story ::)

Upvote 0
P

Picsfor

scottsdaleriots said:
it was attached to a battery grip with no CF card.

what you thought was a battery grip was in fact part of the camera. All 1 series cameras have a body that includes 'a battery grip' feature as put of the body. with it being moulded as part of the body, it provides improved weather sealing and extra room to fit more technolog into.

Take no notice from those who are bored of hearing people talk about holding one in their hands. They're just jealous :) ;)

Upvote 0
S

scottsdaleriots

niccyboy said:

you're right it was the shape of the camera :-[ my bad, i blame poor and very dim lighting in the auditorium, hunger and sleep deprevation. didnt get to shoot with it only touch it for a few secs before passing it to the next person. only camera body, no CF's or lens. not even a camera strap!

i am having trouble trying to transfer the pic onto a device where i can actually upload it. honestly i would have made a video if i could. it def was lighter than i expected and lots of options, i cant remember much else. when i first realised it was a 1Dx and not a 5dii that she had i literally thought of this forum and the greater canon community haha. i was shocked and excited to see the only copy in the country and get to hold it. i'm just a really broke photography student and did not expect at all to see a new pre-released product. it was cool IMO

Upvote 0
S

SnappyJohn

scottsdaleriots said:
I am super tired and exhausted had less than 4hrs sleep last night/early hrs this morning. Had 8.30am class. Anyways at our 3hr we had someone from canon come down. she had a protype/sample of the 1Dx. I HELD IT IN MY HANDS!! long stpory short we only had a few secs each with it. she said it's the only one in australia.

:-\ :-\
Do we know the released dates for the rest of thw world yet? I have been looking online but havnt seen any mention yet, or maybe I ma looking on the wrong places, have been very busy with work mind. If so I hope there will be some sort of offer available, I got a disocunt on some equipment for a freelance shoot in Dublin this weekend using a site, its for a tripod. I have also looked in places like Camera Center Dublin for deals but couldsnt see any worthwhile.

Upvote 0
Jul 25, 2011
decltype said:
I got a chance to play with one back in November (img). As others have pointed out, the vertical grip is integrated in the body.

I didn't check, but I assume the memory card slot was glued or otherwise made unusable. I took a picture at ISO 6400 and it looked very nice from what I could tell.

Ditto and also had chance to play with any of the 60 odd canon lenses available from 8-15 fisheye to the supertele 600 /800mm lenses

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.