Iceland with my Mark III (feat. Orcas, Seals and Auroras)

Hello everybody!

I just finished my Video i shot in Iceland with my 5D Mark III

Iceland in the wintertime

The Videos were shot using several tripods and a Glidecam 4000pro. Some of the timelapses were shot with a StageZero Dolly from DynamicPerception.

Lenses in use
Canon 50mm F1.2
Canon 70mm-200mm F4
Samyang 14mm F2.8 (really really love that one)

I really enjoy that way of filming and would appreciate comments and critisisms. Some of the timelapses were flickering despite I tried to use long exposure times. Any suggestions?

Many greetings!

Nice work!

Flickering typically happens for three main reasons:

1) You aren't using full manual controls on your camera (unlikely)
2) You are using HDR processing software which makes adjustments based on the contents of each frame
3) The iris on your lens isn't stopping down to the same amount for each frame (likely)

You may have noticed that you aren't having any flickering problems with the Samyang lens. This is because the iris on this lens is fixed when you set it to a given f-stop. To cure the problem on your Canon lenses, do the following:

1) Set the f-stop in the camera that you want
2) Press the depth of field preview button to stop the lens down
3) While holding this DOF button down, press the lens release button and rotate the lens slightly so that electronic contact is removed between the camera and the lens. However the lens should still be securely mounted to the camera.

Voila! Your aperture is now fixed and you won't have flickering problems.

Upvote 0
Very nice movie - it looks like you started at the Thingvellir / Gulfoss area and the moved via Vik to the Jökullsarlon and Myvatn area? It's a fantastic country. Where did you see the Orcas? Husavik?

While I overall enjoyed the movie I believe a little less obvious sharpening would better fit the nature of Iceland. The halos you see on some of the mountainranges or the orcas' fins looks "cheap" and plasticky - and that is sad because it does not do the rest justice.

Best regards,
Jens

Upvote 0